Some questions about factory-strung rackets/rackets left lying about for a long time

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by molex, Aug 24, 2009.

1. molex

molex Regular Member

Student
    Hello Everyone,

I've restarted playing badminton earlier this year after a few years' break, and have been using an Ashaway t79 (unclear about the string details). Just last week I bought a new Yonex Armortec 250, which is (presumably) factory strung. I have no idea how long it has been on display before I bought it.

It's my first time playing with a head-heavy racket, and almost immediately I noticed that I couldn't really play well. Everything seemed to be a little tougher and shots seemed to be harder to control, though I suppose that might also be attributed to several other factors.

As for the string itself, shots feel bouncier on the racket and my smashes have suddenly seemed to lose some speed and power, though I am pretty sure I am hitting with the same strength as before. It gives me the faint impression that it's "twangy" and I can't generate as much power as I would like. Would that be due to the racket frame or the string? I chose this racket under the impression that head-heavy rackets are more suitable for attacking play, but I concur that I am probably not 100% used to it yet. My old racket is not with me right now so I am unable to compare.

Anyway, I've been wondering what I can do to improve my performance with this current racket short of buying a new one, and the string seems to be a good place to start. The most burning question right now is would it make a (major) difference if I re-string the racket with a fresh reel of string, at a suitable tension?

Speaking of string tension, I am a complete beginner to badminton string and its theory. From browsing through the forum, I think that I should be trying out perhaps 22lbs or 23lbs, and any pointers on that matter would be most welcome. I'm left-handed, try to play a balanced game, but like to smash when I have the chance. :p I'm not good at judging my own level of skills, but I suppose if I had to (if it really makes a vital difference in choosing string tension) I would place myself in the intermediate range.

Didn't realise the post is now so long. :D Any help is greatly appreciated :D

#1 molex, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    Yes it would make a big difference factory strings are always awful and as you said you dont know how long its been on the shelf.

Fresh string makes a big difference i recommend getting it strung at 23lbs you will feel a difference stright away

3. molex

molex Regular Member

Student
    Thanks noppy - I got it re-strung yesterday, and it did make a big difference when I played today. I do have to use more strength to get my shots across, but that's not a bad thing. The stringer took a look at me and told me 23lb was too high; I got it strung at 20lbs in the end.

4. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    oh well im sure in due time your technique and strength will improve and you can move up when you feel comfortable