Signature Stance

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jwu, Oct 21, 2002.

1. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Just wondering, is there a set of movement, or a particular stance, way you stand, things you do before you guys and gals receive the serve or service?

Personally I always look at my racquet face and check the string, while lifting my head I close my eyes and then reopen them when I am facing my opponent, then I shrug my shoulders as I lift my arms and ready for the serve. I do the same thing in service except instead of the shoulder shrug, I lift the shuttle slightly at my opponent and acknowledge whether or not he or she is ready for the serve.

Just wondering if any of you out there have weird habit like that. :D

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I stand with one leg behind my head, the other weaving through the middle of my other leg and around the racket arm, whilst balancing upside down on my left index finger.

Matt

3. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    How? Cant imagine it. Can you draw or take a pic?
    just curious. :)

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Sure, here it is, this is my stance. I dont want no-one taking the micky out of it. And these Chinese think they got it going huh? Not with this bad boy of a stance!!

Matt

Attached Files:

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    :D :D

Matt, that is a masterpiece, which art school did you attend?

6. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    The talented and gifted school for newly borns, you like??

7. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    lmao, thanks for the pic!
    btw, your racquet shaft is bigger than your legs and arms, your index finger must be really strong!! what did you do to it??? :D

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    The racket took steroids (????)

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    and i have a cast iron index finger...(????)

10. modious

modious Regular Member

haha... good one Matt!

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    impressive stance Matt, must be interesting to see how you would "sprung" up and retrieve a flick over your head. Maybe do a somersault of some sort.

12. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    When I serve I would look behind me to see where my partner is. And when I serve with my backhand, I would look at my opponent straight in the eyes and see if he or she is expecting certain types of shots (short/long/ or fast) then I would serve what was expected the least. :D

When I receive a serve, my racquet foot is on its toe and my other foot is slightly lifted so the heel is not touching the floor.

Ben

13. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Before every serve I do my trademark moonwalk (I taught MJ everything he knows) up to the service line, 360 spin, flail a kick, strike a pose, then looking up wilst lifting the shuttle in acknowledgement to the badminton gods, wink, nod, serve. I eat the shuttle an amazing 99% of the time ;).

When I receive serve it's similar but at the end I attach a slow, mocking, cutting of the throat motion with my racquet. Does wonders for my popularity.

And if you believe anything of that, I have for sale, a one of a kind "Yonex MP2003" racquet with the ultra-elite designation code of "JPCNCP" :D. Goes to the highest, most gullible, bidder. ;)

14. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Hmm this thread is really fun !
    I mean it.
    But are this kind of reply's in a way maybe sort of reflection of some slight tiny bit of irritation about some stance habits that have been experienced during play ?
    The reason i throw this in the air is because sometimes playing league matches.... and i don't want to offend anyone, but sometimes someone is serving every time again with that kinda look in the eyes and that looks kinda that person is saying 'don't dare to think you can beat me, i'm the best' which ..maybe.. is good for mental something, but thing is, the once in a while time i experience this, this is combined with not very social / sportive play.
    Just an irritation i sometimes have ;)

15. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Tell me about it. At the club I play at, I see people with that kind of "elitist" air about them all the time. The only air around them is the stank of their BS :D. What's equally pathetic is that they aren't as good as they think they are.

On another note, my previous post on this thread was actually poking fun at myself. I'm beginning to think I take too long to serve and too long to get ready to receive serve. I always get the feeling the people receiving my serves grow impatient. And people constantly serve to me when I'm not ready yet. Maybe the players at my club just like to get the games over with as fast as possible. I don't know... I could ask badrad if I take too long serving/receiving but as far as I know I'm well within the legal time (if there is one) to prepare.

However, if there was a signature stance of mine, it would have to be... standing in the wrong service court *LOL* :D. Badrad can definately attest to this... I never freakin keep score. I just play to play... always forget the score. It's a bad habit though, and I'm sure it gets irritating, so I'm trying really hard to break it ;).

16. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    :D haha didn't realize that this is the kind of reaction I would get for this thread but I post this with no intention of presenting any "elitist" stance or whatever attitude. When you are playing a match, some people just go through a set of "preparation" to get themselves focused, and just wondering if anyone out there do that.

17. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    IMHO there is only one thing to do about those arrogant people, beat them in their own game. Then you can do the moves that they do and shove it back in their faces.

Oh, well, I guess my competitive hormone got the better of me. :D

Ben