Backhand Injury: Back of hand hurts

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by chrisnchips, Aug 26, 2009.

1. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    hey, I'm just wondering what i should do if the back of my hand hurts. I think it was the result of over exertion of my wristy backhand stroke. Other than improving upon my form what else should I do to help heal and prevent this in the future?

thanks

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    grab some sort of weight hold your arm out straight with your bottom of your wrist/arm facing down....the back of your hand facing up.
    Curl your wrist up with the weight then all the way down...then up then all the way down etc etc.

Then turn your hand over and do the same thing with the weight.

But id rest until this injury is better. Iv had it before..can get quite painful if u dont let it heal.

3. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    thanks brad

i'll try that when i get home...

for now all I've been doing is extending my arm in front of me and opening and closing my hand. it seems to help a little. the back of my hand only hurts when i push my palm up, back of hand closer to forearm

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yeh i wouldnt do any excersises for another few days yet mate. The muscle or tendons in the back of your hand have been strained and until you let it rest for a few days the problem wont go away.

Your hands ofcourse being the part of your body most used for everything. So even resting you will still be using those muscles and hands to do things.
    Making a tihgt fist then releasing is another good strengthening excersise mainly for your forearms and a little bit of your wrist.

So rest for the next few days then start up and see how you go ;)

5. lemonxtea

lemonxtea Regular Member

Student
    im having the same problem with my hand as well however when i pull it into an action of a stop sign, theres this click like if you crack your knuckles. its rather loud. is this a sign of something serious?

6. flickit

flickit New Member

Hold your arm out straight with finger pointing out infront of you. Try turning your wrist in a circle motion to the left and to the right.

Does it click? Both on left and right or just on one?