health effects of regular softdrink/energy drinks in your diet?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bradmyster, Aug 26, 2009.

1. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Had a look through the search function and found a couple of regular threads about Drinking coke during badminton and things etc etc.

I work fulltime and am very active always walking around, carrying things back and forth. Then when i get home gym then badminton training! So im always very very active.

Normally when i get to work in the morning rather than having a coffee to wake me up i either have a redbull or mother. Somedays i dont have anything. Just depends on how desperate i feel :p But iv never been a coffee drinker so i prefer the taste of the energy drinks!

For lunch if i feel like a softdrink il grab a cokezero or pepsi-max which ofcourse claim to have no sugar in them.
    But i drink a HECK load of water each day aswell. Refill my 1L water bottle at least 4 or 5 times whilst im at work, and then during gym or training i down another couple of bottles :)

Just wondering how bad the energy drinks or soft drink regularity in my diet is? I went through my major weightloss program where i did give up softdrink alltogether for a few months. But back on it i love the stuff!! and its my treat! haha

What are your thoughts ladies and gents :D

2. trr0086

trr0086 Regular Member

Full time student
    I know that those drinks have alot of sugar in them, which doesn't benefit your body at all. I think it slows the body's ability to regenerate itself, if that makes sense. It doesn't give your body any real nutrition. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thats what I was told about soda, even if I'm way off I stopped drinking it

3. bradmyster

yehh i know about the sugar levels in the enrgy drinks themselves and know that theres no nutritinal benefit in any of them. I know they arnt good for me but im asking how bad a regular intake within your diet is??? keeping in mind the balance of high levels of water.

And healthy food. hmmmm if they are very very bad for me and pose a health risk then i will give them up once more!! come on guys convince me ;) (has to be a pretty dam good reason haha)

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    I don't really like energy drinks, simply because I never actually feel that good afterwards. What you can try is Up and Go. You should find some in aussie ;) that stuff is insanely good. I almost always drink one before I play a big match, and it often feels like I've gone super saiyan :O

Coke is nice, but I dislike Coke Zero or any of that non-sugar stuff. The artificial sugar in that is probably worse for you than normal coke. As long as you are active, I don't see why it's bad to drink. If you use all of the energy, then it's fine I guess. Although I'd still say don't drink so much :p

5. trr0086

trr0086 Regular Member

Full time student

I forgot to add in my previous post that if one is active and eats right and all that good stuff, a soda a day probably isn't too bad.

The reason I stopped is because I'm not always active and I don't always eat right:p

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    "The carbonation in all soft drinks causes calcium loss in the bones through a three-stage process:
    1. The carbonation irritates the stomach.
    2. The stomach "cures" the irritation the only way it knows how. It adds the only antacid at its disposal: calcium. It gets this from the blood.
    3. The blood, now low on calcium, replenishes its supply from the bones. If it did not do this, muscular and brain function would be severely impaired.
    But, the story doesn't end there. Another problem with most soft drinks is they also contain phosphoric acid (not the same as the carbonation, which is carbon dioxide mixed with the water). This substance also causes a drawdown on the store of calcium.
    So, soft drinks soften your bones (actually, they make them weak and brittle) in three ways:
    1. Carbonation reduces the calcium in the bones.
    2. Phosphoric acid reduces the calcium in the bones.
    3. The beverage replaces a calcium-containing alternative, such as milk or water. Milk and water are not excellent calcium sources, but they are sources.
    Diabetes in a can

The picture gets worse when you add sugar to the soft drink. The sugar, dissolved in liquid, is quickly carried to the bloodstream, where its presence in overload quantities signals the pancreas to go into overdrive. The pancreas has no way of knowing if this sugar inrush is a single dose or the front-end of a sustained dose. The assumption in the body's chemical controls is the worst-case scenario. To prevent nerve damage from oxidation, the pancreas pumps out as much insulin as it can. Even so, it may not prevent nerve damage.
    But, this heroic effort of the pancreas has a hefty downside. The jolt of insulin causes the body to reduce the testosterone in the bloodstream, and to depress further production of it. In both men and women, testosterone is the hormone that controls the depositing of calcium in the bones. You can raise testosterone through weight-bearing exercise, but if you are chemically depressing it via massive sugar intake (it takes very small quantities of sugar to constitute a massive intake, because refined sugar is not something the human body is equipped to handle), then your body won't add calcium to the bones.
    Add this to what we discussed above, and you can see that drinking sweetened colas is a suicidal endeavor. And now you know why bone damage formerly apparent only in the very old is now showing up in teenagers.
    Cancer in a can

In the spring of 2005, research showed a strong correlation between esophageal cancer and the drinking of carbonated beverages. We aren't providing extensive detail here yet, because the subject is still rolling through the medical community. Basically, it works like this:
    1. You drink soda.
    2. It makes you burp (acid reflux, actually).
    3. The burping carries acid into the esophagus, causing lesions.
    4. The lesions become cancerous.
    So, maybe it's not so bad if you sip sodas instead of guzzle them. By the time this issue settles out through double blind studies (rather than statistical analysis only), that is probably what researchers will conclude. It's common sense.
    Of course, the softdrink companies have conducted their own flawed studies using flawed methods to obtain the flawed results they want. This way, they can deny that their toxic products also cause esophageal cancer in addition to other diseases their beverages cause. I wonder if these folks have flawed sleep at night, or if they are just psychopathic?
    Do a Yahoo or Google search on softdrinks + esophageal cancer, and you'll get several thousand pages of results. Most of the articles say softdrinks "may" cause esophageal cancer. And that's true--in the sense that lying down on a railroad track "may" get you run over by a train or holding a revolver with one bullet in it and pulling the trigger "may" blow your brains out. It's a game of chance. How many chances do you want to take?"

Maybe it's okay if you drink in moderation.

7. PlayaFromMalaya

PlayaFromMalaya Regular Member

Student
    Heck loads of water? dont drink too much water either, too much water is not good for ya . Yeah you heard doctors telling ya u should drink 8 glasses of water everyday , these actually includes the fluid u get from drinking drinks like coffee , tea , and ever carbonated drinks. Drinking too much water may cause water intoxication , hyponatremia , and even death.

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, then what should we drink?lol:p

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Bradymyster , just to say - a few countries have actually banned red bull , because it was seen as dangerous.

I would say moderate drinking is perfect! I drink red bull and drinks like it every now and then.

I have people saying that "taurine" in it , also has a bad effect of some sort.

But I am not sure?

10. PlayaFromMalaya

PlayaFromMalaya Regular Member

Student
    water :D just not too much , as in TOO much

11. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    I have stopped drinking soft drinks (coke, pepsi, sprite and many more) for almost a year. If taken moderately, it won't give you any danger, but it doesn't give you any benefit also. When I drank soft drink, I feel more thirsty and craving for more of that sugary drink. When I play badminton, I always drink water and energy drink. The carbohydrate from the energy drink will help replenish energy and because I also eat protein bar (Cliff bar), the carbohydrate will help deliver the protein to the body as a vessel making it faster to be absorb, just like what a recovery drink does.

12. bradmyster

well i geauss you guys are right!!! as of monday il get some sort of breakfast energy poppers similiar to Up N Go as a replacement wakeup call!!!

If im serious about training hard i gotta do everything properly so bye bye soft drink/energy drinks ;)

(il still have energy drinks when im clubbing getting drunk haha ^^)
    still gotta enjoy life :D
    thanks for your inputs everyone :)

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My .75 sens..

..same thoughts as expressed in these threads:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68746
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46330
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42115
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24904

Personally, i'm not a soda/softdrink/coffee/anything caffeinated fan (would take very once in a while). Never really craved for that high sugary or carbonated taste, even when not playing any sport activity. Would prefer juices, sports drinks, water, anything low in sugar when playing sports.
    Btw, even if one drinks a can of Coca-Cola/soda and "washed" it down with 8 glasses of water, one still consumes all that sugar/artificial sugar.

#13 ctjcad, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  14. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I think it really depends on your diet and exercise. I don't really see any harm in consuming soda beverages, or high cholesterol food as long as you exercise properly and regularly.

Well, I'm a sodaholic. Drinking soda (Pepsi, Coke, Mt. Dew, Orange Crush) and playing badminton is my thing. Often times I'll drink a couple of 20 oz per playing session. At home, I drink soda regularly.

I know that it's probably not good for my health, and there's chances that I might get diabetes from drinking to much soda. However it's what I like. It's been like that for the 5 - 7 yrs. I don't eat the healthiest food and I drink soda constantly, but I do play badminton 3 times a week and I try to go jogging as often as I can.

My point is that you just have exercise regularly to keep yourself healthy.

15. 15/0 15/0

15/0 15/0 Regular Member

I making a comeback to kick some BUTT. Not all tha
    Protein and Carbohydrates are best not eaten together. Look up the research on Acid/Alkaline food combining. (Basically, go Carb with Veggies/Salads, or Protein with Salad) and your body will function a whole lot better.

Pleased you are all dumping those sugary poisons. They destablise blood sugar levels, causing energy dive, and cause cravings. The makers know they are addictive. Eat food that grows - not out of a box.