muscle power comparision

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by x-er, Oct 21, 2002.

1. x-er

x-er Regular Member

hey what you guys htink gof the muscl power 99 / 90

2. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    I have tried the MP 90 from my friend before. I am sure it would be another classic as boron 2.

Response fast, powerful and also very precision. If it have regular size (not 10mm longer), I must buy it.

Highly recommended.

But...., I never tried the MP99, is there any person tired both?

3. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    yep! mp90 is definitely one of a kind!
    that's why i sold all my other rackets and kept only mp90s!

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day

Yes I have tried both MP90JP and MP99SP.

Essentially both are same racket but there are substantial difference between the two rackets, both visually as well as performance wise.

1. MP90 is 10mm longer than MP99
    2. MP90 has squared tipped grommet whereas MP99 has conventional type
    3. MP90 has linked grommet, similar to MP77, at 3rd-7th holes of the racket, counting from shaft outwards.
    4. MP90 is mango yellow. MP99 is lemon yellow
    5. Decals and writing on both racket are similar but different. MP90 has smaller and finer writing.

In terms of performance, MP90 feels heavier, and packs slightly more punch behind its smash. Control wise it is similar. In terms of price MP99 creams MP90, so really when all equations are considered, MP99 is a better buy as its slight inferior performance (to MP90) is easily offset by its much cheaper price.

I now want to do a comparision between MP90 JP, MP99SP and MP99AS - When we get them here in Australia (IF we ever get them here - that is....!)

5. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Hey Ayl....
    is MP99sp really of a regular length? that is, not 10mm longer than conventional rackets like say MP100.

i tot the non-JP versions such as SP's were meant to be same in terms of its dimensions, just different quality...
    thanks
    Z

6. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    ayl: Is it really MP90JP 10mm longer than MP99SP?

If this is so, everything being equal and by 10mm longer, MP90JP is definitely felt heavier (and more punch) than MP99SP.

7. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day all,

The 3 MP99 SP I have come across are all 10mm shorter than my MP90 JP. Perhaps there are long version of MP99s out there but I haven't seem them yet.

I suspect this would be the case as there are (well, used to be) standard and long lengths of MP100 available in Australia.

#7 ayl, Oct 22, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2002
  8. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    ayl: Oh, really.

So, forrestyung, perhaps, should consider a regular length MP99SP.

9. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    ayl, looks like you've really turned into a racket expert! ;) You noticed all these things i probably would never have noticed....

well just want to say, i don't own an MP90 or MP99. But i have tried an MP90JP and i find that the amount of power i can get from it is the maximum i can produce with any racket. But i don't particularly like this MP99 despite what everyone else says about it. I find it to be in between the MP100 and MP77 in terms of feel. The MP77 has that powerpunch type feel with almost no vibration. Whereas the MP100's feel is more like a a solid punch with more vibration. But either way,i like both of these rackets.

But because the MP99 is sort of in between, i don't really like the mix. I prefer to be either/or. Wierd huh? Personal preference. ;)

10. twocentsworth

twocentsworth Regular Member

Private employee
    A few things:

1) I was comparing my MP99 vs. the MP90 of my friend the other night and they are virtually the same, save for the weight ( as my 99 was a 2U and his was a 3U).
    - The color was the same
    - The lettering was the same (save for the 99 vs. the 90)
    - The length was the same...both 10mm longer. ( I didn't think there was a short version. The lemon yellow might just be for the shorter version).

2) I have an MP100 2U, an MP88 3U and an MP99. I find the 99 to be in the middle of the 100 and the 88. It's a bit more sluggish than the 88 but heaps faster on defense than the 100. On power, it's almost as good as the 100.

3) I however used to be able to switch so easily between the 88 and the 100, but the 99 for some reason takes a lot to get used to. It has a weird balance but once you get used to it, it's the most versatile of the 3. Great for defense and offense, singles or doubles.