Issue with grip when hard clearing and smashing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by n3w813, Aug 28, 2009.

1. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    I have a grip problem in which that when I'm hitting a hard baseline to baseline clear or a smash, the racket will come a bit lose in my hand at the point of contact. (Not lose like the racket-flying-out-of-my-hands lose.) :D

Anyway, my racket is a AS10 2U-G5 and I'm a 5'4" Chinese with small hands. I've already strengthened my grip with a Grip Master and increased my racket grip size by adding an overgrip. But the racket still comes a bit lose during those hits (although better than before), therefore, the shots lose power.

Anyone else have this problem before? If so, how did you correct the problem? I can try adding another overgrip but I feel that if I add any more, it will greatly affect how fast I can change my grip during play and the balance point of the racket. :(

2. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Hmmm well normally I hold it loose and the last second tighten the grip. But if that's what your'e doing you might not be tighening it right before, otherwise hmmm lol

3. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

First check if you're actually using the correct grip when you're hitting. There's a grip guide somewhere around here. I don't have the exact link so you have to check it yourself.

4. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    I'm using the correct grip, basic grip, for hitting clears and smashes. Maybe I'm not tightening my grip at the right time?? :confused:

5. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

try rotating your body

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

So...how does rotating your body help with his grip problem?

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    The racket isnt the issue here cause al racket handles are basically the same. It must b the timing of the tightening of the grip or you are using the wrong grip!

Basic grip - forehand clears, smashes & drops

Make sure this is the grip ur using. Also remember depending where the shuttle is wit regards to if its in front or behind you wil be a different grip but this grips guide explains al this so ave a gud read at the whole thing

Jus remember grip shudnt b tight, jus relaxed, (I wudnt use the term lOOSE!) when NOT hitting the shuttle but jus as you swing upon the point of impact, ur grip shud tighten up, wil help to get a bit more power!

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    If you able to generate the speed and power that you really wanted, then it should be fine I guess. If because of that feel and does make the affect of your speed and power you wanted, then I would guess you're technique is wrong.
    however, this happen to me, If i play with a double grip around the handle, I won't able to hit it, because it's too big, and i'm 5'4 too. I think I have an average hand size, not like bizarre humongous hand size.

I mean when you have big hand then you'll need bigger grip, but if you have small hand then you should need small size

9. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

ohhh nvm i read the post actually

try put more grip power?
    i mean hold the grip a little more harder when you swing

10. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Thanks all for your tips, I will try them and report back. :)

I bought YY grip powder spray over the w/e, and will try it for the first time tonight to see if it'll help with my problem. Will post results :D

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    I tried some grip spray. Wasn't very helpful to be honest. Too restricting.:(

12. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    I tried the Yonex Grip Powder Spray last night. Although it did suck up the excess sweat, but it also created a slipper surface with the white powdery substance. I'm using Yonex Super Grap overgrip on my rackets.

I asked my trainer about this last night and he said that the grip powder is best used with a towel grip and he feels that it is worse if he use it with his Super Grap also. :(

Well just an extra item in my badminton bag now..... :p

13. pyshuttler

pyshuttler Regular Member

How about Kimony KGT105 grip - i think ! - it has a ridge all the way around

14. herk123

herk123 Regular Member

i find the basic grip or the v grip extremely uncomfortable for smashing because i couldn't hold on to it very well, i usually grip it with the thumb. Should there be any difference in power generating?

15. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Try an extra tacky overgrip, or maybe a replacement grip. Karakal PU is very very tacky, I almost find it too restricting at the beginning. But it totally eliminates any grip/sweat problems.

16. pyshuttler

pyshuttler Regular Member

I use a thin grip on my AT700 for smashing but a double layered grip on my MP99 for more control. I think if the grip is too thick, it will be naturally to hard to hold when smashing because you can't get enough of your hand around it. I currently use Kimony KGT105 grip which has a ridge on my AT-700. I hold the grip firm but loose so that when I smash, the racquet may move up my hand a little, but not so loose it slips out of my control. Hope that helps a little.

17. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Reporting back on my progress.

After using a grip master every other day for 2 months has eliminated any loseness when hitting my clears and smashes. :) I do 3 sets of 100 for each hand.

18. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Well glad to hear the problem is solved. You should continue to do them, if not every other day, then at least twice a week.

19. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

hey, do you mean gripmaster is a tool for training wrist power that looks like this : [​IMG]

20. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Mine looks like this. I believe it trains grip and forearm power rather than wrist power. :)

[​IMG]