grip size not standard?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by silentlight, Oct 22, 2002.

1. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    It's weird, I recently bought an mp77 2ug3 but when compared to my hiqua pro 3500 4ug3, the grip size of the mp77 is larger and I don't think it's the grip wrapping. Somebody messed up, don't know who though.

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I think grip size (G) and weight (U) of the racquets are different depending on the brand. Example, My Victor Fung 2000 U2G2 is lighter and has smaller grip than my friend's U3G4 Yonex mp100. Therefore nobody messed up, just a different system.

3. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I suppose, but you'd think they'd standardize something like that given that they use the same notation.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Well not sure about other brands but Victor actually use W instead of U for the weight. Yes it would make sense for them to standardize everything but oh well, they don't and we are the one to suffer the consequences. :mad:

5. neverland

neverland Regular Member

students
    I dont think we should suffer while we have a lot of choices. I think Yonex have a standard grip. Hey, give a chance to someone that have a smaller palm/grip.
    Don't BUY their brand if u feel bad. That's what i think lol.:p

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research

:) I've been using victor racquets for as long as I can remember (that's 17yrs, not that long). Never really cared too much about the technicality of badminton until recently. I've always just pick a racquet and if I like it, I'll play with it. After finding out about all the different U's and G's, I look at all my racquets and they are all the same specs, U2G2 victor standard and now I realize that value translate to yonex's U3G4. You just need to do a little research when you switch brand. :D

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though, there's no "common std" among different brands, but I feel that most brands do have their weight/grip size in a reasonable "std range". Therefore, should not be too bad, unless u happen to select some "special" model.