Singles footwork problem- "panicking" during game situations

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dltgld, Aug 29, 2009.

1. dltgld

dltgld Regular Member

Helloooooooooooo.
    I can play doubles alright. I know how to coordinate my movement with my partner, and I make good shot decisions. When it comes to singles, I play good shots, but my feet cost me. During practice, I feel relaxed, comfortable, and smooth as I move around the court. Yep, loading must of your body weight on the balls of your feet (except lunging, of course!) surely are helpful. However, as soon I as enter a game, my feet, all of a sudden, become very heavy, and I lose control of them. They panic, and they refuse to operate in the smooth, relaxed manner that I want them to. The funny thing is, this never happens to me in doubles. In doubles, I can reach the bird quickly and easily, and my feet feel literally weightless. So, the question is: Is there a way to be just as relaxed with your footwork in an actual game situation as in the practicing environment? (P.S. I know how to do the split step, and I use it during singles)

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

well, are you sure you're pushing yourself during practice and drills? it's one thing to do drills like shadowing at your own pace, but it's another to really push yourself, see how many corners you can cover in 2min, then beat that number and so on. it's harder for singles b/c you have to cover the whole court yourself, and so going from doubles to singles, the footwork has to actually quicker (recovering to centre).

also, are you sure your shot selections in singles are good? if you are on the defensive or in a bad position, don't do attack shots like drops or smashes (or maybe you're forced to somtimes); but those times if your shot selection is bad, then it's easier for your opponents to control the pace and ralley and move you, and maybe that's why you feel you're a little slower/heavier and not as quick

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

You are probably affected by your opponent's difference in pace. It's one thing to do shadow badminton and totally different to play another player with a different tempo. You need to either adapt to his tempo or dictate the tempo of the match.

Another possible thought is that you are facing a deceptive player.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Keep practising. I mean, I used to think my footwork was fantastic a year or two back. But every time it came to tournaments, I'd mess up. It simply meant I could only operate when not under pressure. So just keep practising, and you should get better and better.

One thing to really focus on is the split step. That really does set up the foundation of your speed in footwork. If you have good split steps, it'll be clear because no matter who you play, you will move just as well. Those who are only used to one pace usually have bad split steps.

Finally, I think Capnx brought up a good point. Doubles is not like singles. They are fairly different in style of shot. Furthermore, moving well in doubles does not mean you'll be fast in singles.

Keep plugging away at it. I still think shadow drills are by far the best. As long as you change them to suit your purpose in training, they'll help for sure

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

try this, do shadows with your partner, but have your partner have a lot of birdies in hand and hit them to you to force you to move at his hitting speed at all areas and corners of the court, high backcourt clears, short drops, fast side drives... see how fast you can adapt, and how long you can go for. it's one thing to do shadow for the footwork, but another to be under pressure to actually hit a series of good shots

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I would follow everyone else's suggestion , of keep practicing shadows.

Make sure , you imagine its a game , and think that there is a shuttle there and you playing it. You have to push yourself hard , and be explosive with your footwork for the shadows.

I would also suggest more tournament practice , the more you play tournaments , the more you adopt. I'm not saying that it is ever going to be easy to play tournaments , Taufik admits he still sometimes gets nervous.
    But playing more , will provide you with the expierience.

7. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

try to play with someone
    play serious but without points
    and someone that not playing will stand behind you and see whats wrong. (not in the court!)

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Well if you're ok with double game then that shouldn't be mentality. I think, that just what i think don't take it too serious.

So my assumption is you're footwork is not good enough. Because in double really you get plenty of help from your partner. But in single you don't that's why is just too much harder and you'll easily get messed up.

IMO, footwork is just going to be in you after you train and train and train. It'll stay in you, and it will automatic react in game. So even if you get nervous the only thing you really mess up is like mis-hit or ur accuracy is just shietie? =)
    But then again, you might mess up with ur footwork when u're under pressure.

Personally I just tend to hit it out and pretty much involve in hitting while under pressure.