Slice served

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nuetronist, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

Recently I came across the term of "slice serve" and I was wondering how to do it. I am able to slice the shuttle with the forehand serve but that just seems to pop the shuttle up, which I assume is unfavourable. Thanks =P

2. drkzxeraph

drkzxeraph Regular Member

Slicing on a forehand serve doesn't always pop the birdie up. If you slice it at a certain angle, it'll go low and forward. I'm not exactly sure how I can explain it...since I figured out how to do a low/fast slice serve through trial and error. Try letting the birdie drop a bit lower than normal (to your knees, maybe?).

Have fun experimenting? :p

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

if you play pingpong the motion is rather similar with a sidespin serve.
    first try hitting the bird with straight side spin, and see how that make it spin side ways. then add the forward motion

4. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I remember I invented a retarded serve that messed with everyone cuz it resulted in something similar to a low fast drive, 2 inches above the net, usually dipping to shoulder level or just below that. It irritated everyone to no end. It was a forehand slice motion from tennis, and I always struck the birdie below waist level. I eventually switched back to a traditional backhand low serve due to all the complaints though.

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    The term "slice serve" in badminton is a technique used where you hit the feathers of the shuttle first. And its been deemed illegal. Dont ask me what advantages it gives you or exactly how to do it.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    S-serve involves hitting feathers first, slice serve means hitting the base first and continuing the stroke to hit the feathers....You can do this to cause the bird to lose speed faster.

7. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

i used to do a fast drive serve in between my legs just above the knees, i had to stop due to the concern of offspring reproduction.

8. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    If i remembered right it was Xiao Jie who showed the slice serve in one episode with Zhao. Since trying that it has been one of my favorite serves. It does not pop up the birdie because the movement is not upwards but more like from left to right.

Simeon