MP77 or MP55?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by angelus_2012, Oct 22, 2002.

1. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

hi guys... i need an advice on what should i get... the Yonex MP77 or MP55?
    This is because Yonex MP77 and MP55 are having a 50% discount here in Malaysia.
    I read all the review of both of the racket and i'm still confused. I know i'll be getting flamed but please tell me clearly, what should i get? i'm a speedy player and smash player too. thanks

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    sppedy and smash, mp55... dont ask me why :p

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'm honestly really confused why u said this..... why MP55? I don't remember u ever using 1. No offense or anything.

I have owned both before. Mp77, definately.

4. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    because i dont remember mp77 being a fast racket!
    poweful yes!

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Get the mp77, it's a much better racquet than the mp55. More power and the speed-wise, I think you will get the about the same "speed" for both.

6. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Depending on the strength of your arm...... ;)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I tried MP55 last night. The racquet was one bought on discount from M'sia. It's red and regular length if not mistaken. Strung in BG66 @24lbs.

I played singles with it. Usually I use cab20.

Not much of a problem with the strokes. But my impression is you have to have a 'cleaner' stroke to play more effectively with Iso frame. i.e. not too much twisting of the racquet when playing the shot.

The racquet felt well balanced in my hand. Certainly no difficulty playing my shots - clears, drops, smash, lift. Could have been slightly better but maybe because it was the Iso type frame.

I've tried MP77 before. It was nothing special; perhaps a little heavier than the MP55 but difficult to say as it was quite a while ago.

Muscle power frame? No extra power.

As an all round racquet, both are adequate though MP77 might be a little more difficult for doubles as I think it is 'long'

What's the current price of MP55 and MP77 in M'sia?

8. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

it's RM300 for MP77 with string, grip, and bag
    RM200 for MP55 with all items stated.

9. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

From my limited experience with MP55, I agree with Cheung here on that MP55 is an easier racket to use.

To me, MP55 feels like the good old Iso 800, slightly heavy but sturdy and idiot proof, and packs a mighty punch behind it's smash as it has large sweet spot and heavy head frame. MP77 on the other hand, feels unlike most racket out there with its heavily damped shaft and heavy head. I find that MP77 actually a bit less powerful than MP55, also with slightly poorer control, but packs more punch when performing back hand clears and flat drives.

But maybe it is just me because I've been using MP77 for as long as I've been playing badminton, and only used a MP55 for a week when my MP77 was getting restrung.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That is cheaper than HK for both models. If dollars are important to you, stick with MP55.

MP77 won't make a big difference

11. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I just bought both these rackets before i can back from Malaysia. I had an MP55 TH and MP77 SP before but both broke, so i'm basically getting replacements. I would have bought 2 MP77s but couldn't afford it as angelus has pointed out the price difference is RM100.

But Cheung, i have to disagree with you, my favourite Yonex rackets are actually the MP100, MP77 and Cab20. And to tell you honestly why the MP55 isn't in there, is because the MP77 is the MP55 + more. Everything is better in the MP77, feel, power, even weight distribution. But then again, the price diff is alot so if your not used to either and wanna try, it doesn't harm to start with the MP55. But for me, i have used both alot and i like the MP77 much much more.

Forgot to say, i think that its worth paying that extra RM100. Its really worth it.

12. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I shifted to the MP55 from an Isometric 87VF because I felt that I am outgrowing my racket, I felt a great deal of difference in the MP55 racket in terms of stiffness & head stability. I noticed my smashes to be stronger, clears with just a flick of the wrist and it does not feel mushy at all, something that I did not like with the 87VF. What is the difference between the MP77 & MP55? It is the color, the weight (3U vs 2U), the length, and the material (ultimum Ti). MP77 is a stronger racket because it gives you more leverage with its length. If I were you, with your style of play and the great discounts they offer in your country, go with the MP77. The MP55 is a great racket, the MP77 a little better.