Yonex BG80 vs BG65 (or BG66)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Blitzzards, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Hi guys, I've just received a JP coded 2UG4 Yonex NS9900 and am planning to get it strung later today (it's already near 1700/5pm in Sydney). I'm now torn between using BG80 at 22x24lbs or BG65 at 24x26lbs; my stringer stocks on BG80 and BG66 only and he recommends those strings to everyone in the UNSW Badminton club. He told me it will be fine if I can get BG65 on my own for him to use specifically on my racquet, but I'll need to wait till around next week before I can get them from another warehouse seller.

So,

1. Should I just go for the BG80 strung at 22x24lbs like how I have it on my old colour AT700 (same tension strung by same stringer, is a very good job) or

2. Should I wait till my order of BG65 comes in around next week? Is BG80 strung at 22x24lbs similar in feel to BG65 strung at 24x26lbs? I haven't tried BG65 at such mid high tension much and don't remember how it feels; is it still relatively soft but have good control? The BG80 on my AT700 feels superb, but that is on a head heavy racquet, the 2U NS9900 has a BP of 285mm.

3. Otherwise I can maybe try the BG66 at 23x25lbs. How will this feel?

Please help!

2. wddian

wddian New Member

i strung my ns9900 with bg80 at 25x27 and it felt great for the first week
    maybe next time i'll go 27x29 so when it settles it'll feel like a fresh 25x27

bg80 is thinner gauge than the bg65... at the same tension, it gives you more repulsion which basically means more power
    so i would say if you want the same feel with the bg80, go a couple pounds lower than the bg65

3. Michael Lin

Michael Lin Regular Member

i tried bg-65 on 28- 30 pounds. it is very good. i bet u will never regret it.

i also tried bg-80 on my racket with 26-28 pounds.

both tried it on yonex nanospeed 9900

4. Inconsistent

Inconsistent Regular Member

Student
    Can't go wrong with BG-65, as it has very good durability and performs quite well. While on the other hand BG-80 holds tension much better which may be important to you. Either one is a good choice.
    If your going to try BG-66 just watch out for mis-hits as its quite thin and make break. If your going with a string with a bit more repulsion I'd go with the BG-80, but there is nothing wrong with BG-65 as well.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bg80 has a bit more repulsion.

bg80 is stiffer

bg65 lasts longer

bg80 holds tension better

6. eng n chin

eng n chin Regular Member

student
    Bg80 all the way. I've tried all
    The main stream yonex strings and th best all round with an extra kick for
    Power is th bg80. 65 doesn't do a ns9900 justice

7. abhimanyu

abhimanyu Regular Member

IT
    guys i have just picked up a VT 5..I am planning to get BG80 done on it..what is the ideal tension for power..I dont care the durability..is 28lb too much or shall i push it till 30?please help

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

@abhimanyu

Depending on your skill level (seeing as you're using a flex racket and I have nothing else to go by) you might consider like 22lbs. You don't win anything fir having the highest tension and sorest arm.

9. abhimanyu

abhimanyu Regular Member

IT
    Thanks buddy

I am an intermediate level player with a couple of domestic cups on shelf.VT5 is a medium flex and its an upgrade from my Arcsaber 007(which i feel is a touch heavier than vt5,85gms)..for all this time i thought going with a head heavy racquet with 27-28lb tension will reduce sore arm(less fatigue) since the force you need is reduced..question-using a tighter string reduces or increases repulsion?

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    ideal tension for power is whatever tension you can hit the hardest. tension don't play that much in changing the durability of the string unless you mis-hit all the time, then of course it's not gonna matter. when i was in high school i used to string my oval rackets at 18-19, then 20-21 in college. now that i'm way older and have a bit more training on my mechanics, i'm using 23-24 on my isometric rackets. to me, 26lbs is as high as i will ever go, how do i know, because when i get tired i have no shot at tension higher than 26. it's all trial and error. you might want to start off at 22 which is for the most part very loose. then move up by 2 until you get to a tension that's too high, then drop back down. i say move up by 2 because very often tension increment of 1lb is hard to detect...unless you're very sensitive then go ahead. :)

11. abhimanyu

abhimanyu Regular Member

IT
    I quite agree to most of the things you said..to be honest i am weak with my backhand overhead drives and was wanting to upgrade(if it is the right word) to 28lb from 23-24..I was hoping that increasing the tension with BG80(for repulsion) would do some good to my backhand shot making..I fail to understand why will increasing the tension increase amount of work needed to clear the shuttle....as per my understanding it should be easier..:)

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    what i learned from tennis long ago was that the higher the tension, the stiffer it will feel. the lower the tension, the looser it will feel. high tension is like hitting with a board and low tension is like hitting with a tampoline. which will get you farther, jumping on a board or jumping on a trampoline.

but for badminton, that might not be true. somewhere on this forum there's multiple threads about how higher tension gives you more power but i forgot where they are located. but what i mentioned above seems to make sense to me :)

13. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

If you only used 23-24lb before then going straight to 28 might be a bit of a shock to your arm ... and your timing ... maybe try 26lb first?
    Having a high tension won't necessarily make it easier to hit the bird further .. you still need very good technique/timing/racket speed to get the repulsion, and there is much less room for error because its easier to mishit.

14. abhimanyu

abhimanyu Regular Member

IT
    they dont have bg80 in my locality:mad:..have to settle with bg65 24-25lb tension..thanks anyways for the help buddy..one other thing i need to know is (off the topic) what difference will a 3u-4u grip make..im a 6footer and have big palm..