badminton symphony

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Sep 1, 2009.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    despite having a really stressful time at work, despite working on 2 separate projects at once, and despite all the OTs, and despite a weakening left knee, somehow i found myself in the gym tonight, whacking on some dead goose feathers and destroying leather wrapped cork.

near the end of the day, after like 15-20 games. i was totally exhausted. so i decided to take a break and laid down smack at the middle of the gym. perching my head on my racket bag, and lifting my knees up on my shoes.

with my eyes closed and facing towards the ceiling, i suddenly realized, i was blessed by the god of badminton.

there was i lying down resting, but i found myself surrounded by sounds of badminton. the sounds of shoes chirping on the court surface, the sounds of the shuttlecock shuttling back and forth; accented by interludes of loud bang as well as gentle taps; punctuated by duet, trio, quartet of victorious cheer or sighing in disbelieve after an unforced error; those inter-mixed with grunts and moan from a tough rally. i was in essence surrounded by a badminton symphony.

i soon found all the stress and pressure from the day disappear. all worries in the world dissolved.

for a music lover, music is a really good way sooth and relax a tough day; as a badminton lover, that was my music to my ears, that was a badminton symphony.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^So..^^

..if that's a symphony, who's the conductor??..:confused:
    *What happened to your left knee?? i thought right hand players usually suffer from right knee weakening??
    **My goodness, 15-20 games?? With or without A/C??..down here, it feels like we're being BBQed..:(

#2 ctjcad, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

Hehe!! Nice story :)

You weren't high on opioid based painkillers by any chance were you? :p

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Thats the good thing about playing badminton.

Whilst your there , you have no worries - no stress , nothing - you just play the game!

Kwun's had one of them "moments" :).

5. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

wow dats nice
    Being a badminton and music lover, i can also find the symphony within the sounds

and the conductor is probably the badminton god in the sky :p

6. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

wow even when im high i cant seem to enjoy the sounds in a badminton court. The only 'good' sound is the bang from a good smash, everything else is just background noise.

7. cheemao

cheemao Regular Member

:eek:So you can play like lin dan now?:rolleyes:

8. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Lin Dan is the God of Badminton :).

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    ever thought of recording the sounds of the badminton gym? Sometime when i'm stuck at home, if i have those recordings played back as background music makes me feels like being there;)

10. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

Dan the Don :D Funnily enough i'm just watching repeats of the Beijing Olympics and have just watched his match against NG Wei. He's pure lightning around the court!! I'd love to watch him play live.

#10 marmoset, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  11. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Nice name for him :).

Okay to be honest , when I was watching the MS olympics finals the first time , I changed the channel :p - I thought this is ridiculous he is unstoppable!

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So, i tried the same thing..

..being a curious cat i am, last night, i tried the same thing as what kwun did.

Went to the baddy club. Played a few games, no not as many as 15-20 games as it was friggin' hot & humid even up til 9 pm!!!:crying::(..For one, we played nearly a full game and my t-shirt was already soaking wet!!!...

So, after i finished playing, i laid down on one of the cool steel benches, put my head on my hands, 1 leg crossed in the air over the other leg. Closed my eyes and was hoping to get the same feeling as what kwun described (okay, i know he enjoys listening to classical music).

I closed my eyes for 10 seconds. But the air i was breathing was warm. So, i opened up my eyes and tried again. The 2nd time, i closed my eyes for nearly 30 seconds. But gave up because, again, i was breathing warm air.

So, did i hear a badminton symphony??..not really. It felt more like i was in the middle of a rush hour traffic. Further, all i got was a headache esp. from breathing that warm air coming down on me...:(

Maybe i'll try again during the winter months...

13. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

You should have opened your eyes. Someone was sitting on your face :p

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i had my hands resting on my chest. seemed to be a bit more relaxing than stretching them on the head.

warm air will definitely spoil the experience. but there is also a Chinese saying that say, "coolness will come if your heart remain calm/quiet".

i also suggest not sitting on the bench at the side of the court. if you do that, you are not being surrounded by the sound of the symphony, instead, you are just an audience observing from the sideline. find somewhere in amidst the action, and just lie down on the floor.

i suggest everyone try that out. it is really peaceful.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Actually..^^

..i almost fell asleep, if not for that darn warm air hovering over my face..:(

I think i found the probable reason why kwun mistook the noise he heard as symphony music : it's because he's probably sleep deprived and super tired....;)

Now i feel your eyes, body and legs must be heavy & so dead tired & sleepy that you probably would've slept overnight at the club...

Sometimes, one's tiredness & sleepiness will overpower any kind of noise and turn any noise into sweet symphony music...:cool:

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

alright, i will try it out the next time im in a badminton court:p

17. SpendorK

SpendorK Regular Member

:)

You should try the Mahler's Symphony No.1 by Bernstein (Deutsche Grammophon label).:D

18. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I'll try it tomorrow. I hope the smell of rubber wouldn't interfere.

I actually love hearing the sound of squeaking shoes matched with shuttlecocks being hit. Before I sleep, I watch a badminton match because the sound makes me relaxed. It puts me to sleep.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Tried it again..

..the other night, as suggested by kwun...laid there, closed my eyes and nearly fell asleep...temperature wasn't as hot, but this time it sounded more like i was in the middle of a.................................................................................jazz concert

akh, maybe there weren't enough people playing in the gym...

20. takumifujiwara

takumifujiwara Regular Member

Full-time uni student
    I don't know about Mahler (haven't heard of his works yet). But definitely Mozart Piano Concerto 21 -2nd movement Andante. As one critic had said before this piece proved the existense of a God in this world :D

Theres once i remember where after a long and tiresome game, I went lying on one of the benches and I literally fell asleep listening to the voice of shuttlecock being hit and those wooshing sounds of rackets being swung.

#20 takumifujiwara, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009