User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyeh View Post
    However, I do not think centre AF being most sensitive have anything to do with the MTF charts. I believe it is a design decision that is aligned with the way photographers tend to prefer to use AF.
    While yes, the center is tend to be used alot but I still think its more than that.

This taken from Canon site itself
    nine cross-type autofocus (AF) points eight with f/5.6 sensitivity and one in the center with f/2.8 sensitivity provide highly precise focus even when shooting fast moving subjects.
    Link is: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos50d/02.html#03

To my understanding, the center is more sensitive and it does make sense to put the better sensitive AF in the center due to MTF also (the resolution rather than contrast in the MTF table).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    But the thing about digital SLR's is that you pay for the picture taking costs wayyyy... upfront. Other than the shutter expiring, and ther little bits of wear and tear, there is virtually no limit to how many shots you can derive out of a digital SLR. Unlike traditional film, where every frame is precious. A standard 36 frame roll with development and print in 4R costs like RM$40 a pop ? Not to mention the typical 20% or more of wasted frames in its roll.

Shooting 400 frames with a DSLR is a no-brainer really as long as your memory card can take it. And the best part is 36 shots or 36,000 shots, or for that matter 136,000 shots, its the same US$1,700 shots . Even with a typical keeper rate of 20%, and you print all of them in 4R or 5R. Its still cheaper by a huge margin to enjoy photography compared to film !!

You need like to develop 10 rolls of film to get about 300 worthy photos (at best for 80% keeper rate), in typical costs say like that in Malaysia, that's about RM$400!?

Carefully selected 300 shots out of say 1500 costs perhaps RM$240 to print ? Try extrapolating that over 30,000 prints, and the cost differences are tremendous! Amortize that over the initial cost difference to buy a DSLR and its still way cheaper!

So, the real costs of ownership for photography has really come down.
    This is very true and its one of the main advantage, cost over the long run.

To add also, with DSLR you got versatility. say you take photo and suddenly the lighting changed to darker or brighter. You can easily change your ISO within a touch of button. with film, you can't.. you stuck with the roll you have in your camera.
    DSLR you can 'chimp' also (term I learn from canon forum... lol) what it mean is you can view your photo on your DSLR screen. if it bad or suddenly you realise you have wrong setting then you can correct it and shoot again (happened to me quite alot). with film no way you can see before you process your film.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ae86trueno View Post
    This is very true and its one of the main advantage, cost over the long run.

To add also, with DSLR you got versatility. say you take photo and suddenly the lighting changed to darker or brighter. You can easily change your ISO within a touch of button. with film, you can't.. you stuck with the roll you have in your camera.
    DSLR you can 'chimp' also (term I learn from canon forum... lol) what it mean is you can view your photo on your DSLR screen. if it bad or suddenly you realise you have wrong setting then you can correct it and shoot again (happened to me quite alot). with film no way you can see before you process your film.
    with DSLR, always.... always check the settings before the shooting spree.
    shoot in RAW file. jpeg is only when you need the photos urgently or need to shoot at 5-8fps. other than that, RAW only.

photography is just like badminton, when you start to talk cost..... my wallet is heartbreaking. buy racket or rackets, pay court rental, restringing cost and killer is shuttlecock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing about the Canons is... they seem to have made Nikon lower the prices . Maybe I could afford the D700 - heard that in some places could get one for about US 2,100 - sooner than I expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    with DSLR, always.... always check the settings before the shooting spree.
    shoot in RAW file. jpeg is only when you need the photos urgently or need to shoot at 5-8fps. other than that, RAW only.

photography is just like badminton, when you start to talk cost..... my wallet is heartbreaking. buy racket or rackets, pay court rental, restringing cost and killer is shuttlecock.
    Yep, I normally check before shooting but there are times when things changed and I forgot about changing the setting too.. Especially when I start learning using M.
    hahaha yeah very true.. the shuttle... very very pricey

Quote Originally Posted by viver View Post
    The best thing about the Canons is... they seem to have made Nikon lower the prices . Maybe I could afford the D700 - heard that in some places could get one for about US 2,100 - sooner than I expected.
    dang.. I want D700 too... IMHO D700 is better than D3. more versatile for cheaper price. but Nikkon's lenses are very pricey..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ae86trueno View Post
    dang.. I want D700 too... IMHO D700 is better than D3. more versatile for cheaper price. but Nikkon's lenses are very pricey..
    I think quality wise, the D3 is better. D700 may be better on cost/quality.

Nikon lenses are expensive but very good quality. I have the 80-200 2.8, very sharp but a bit slow due to its age... But there are quality lenses from Sigma, Tokina or Tamron which are a bit more affordable.

Let's wait and see how the market evolve

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon lenses are expensive but very good quality. I have the 80-200 2.8, very sharp but a bit slow due to its age...
    old age isnt a matter to me. you are kind enough, i am willing to accept that gift.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old age isnt a matter to me. you are kind enough, i am willing to accept that gift.
    Haha! Good try, but I would not mind exchanging with a Nikor 70-200 2.8 VRII.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the thing about digital SLR's is that you pay for the picture taking costs wayyyy... upfront. Other than the shutter expiring, and ther little bits of wear and tear, there is virtually no limit to how many shots you can derive out of a digital SLR. Unlike traditional film, where every frame is precious. A standard 36 frame roll with development and print in 4R costs like RM$40 a pop ? Not to mention the typical 20% or more of wasted frames in its roll.

So, the real costs of ownership for photography has really come down.
    RLOL, Gladius, you sound like a camera salesman.
    At the end of it, it's a matter of affordability, whether it was the old film SLR(good proper one) or DSLR, not within my range, esp in these economic times.

Someone mentioned abt lighting, for film it can be adjusted in the darkroom, that was the fun of film photography. Other than learning the basic technicalities of how to be a 'real' photographer. Nowadays, technology does half the work already.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 09-04-2009 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    RLOL, Gladius, you sound like a camera salesman.
    At the end of it, it's a matter of affordability, whether it was the old film SLR(good proper one) or DSLR, not within my range, esp in these economic times.

Someone mentioned abt lighting, for film it can be adjusted in the darkroom, that was the fun of film photography. Other than learning the basic technicalities of how to be a 'real' photographer. Nowadays, technology does half the work already.
    1. budget DSLR is available within RM2k, body+kit lens
    2. RAW is "digital negative", do whatever you want in pc.
    3. technology didnt do half the work, we still do the work.
    technology only ease the photos taking. example, auto-focusing vs manual focus. we still need to press the shuttle after we compose.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha! Good try, but I would not mind exchanging with a Nikor 70-200 2.8 VRII.
    what exchanging?
    didnt you read properly? "i am willing to accept that aged-lens as a gift"
    ok, to further my sincerity, i pay the courier service.

now, send me the lens!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. budget DSLR is available within RM2k, body+kit lens
    2. RAW is "digital negative", do whatever you want in pc.
    3. technology didnt do half the work, we still do the work.
    technology only ease the photos taking. example, auto-focusing vs manual focus. we still need to press the shuttle after we compose.
    1) Not possible either
    2) Technology lor, hehe
    3) Hiyaaa, easier than film photo taking lah. Film photo taking need to control shutter speed very carefully, how long need to press the shutter also got technique one (but I forgot already lah how it goes)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    3) Hiyaaa, easier than film photo taking lah. Film photo taking need to control shutter speed very carefully, how long need to press the shutter also got technique one (but I forgot already lah how it goes)
    err.... DSLR also need to control shutter speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He sounds like he's talking about the 'classic' bellows type 'Large-format', where by almost everything is manual! Even holding the shutter open !

Probably a throwback to what Ansel Adams was famous for using??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He sounds like he's talking about the 'classic' bellows type 'Large-format', where by almost everything is manual! Even holding the shutter open !

Probably a throwback to what Ansel Adams was famous for using??
    you mean this............?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya lah but just change2 setting right? And ISO. I meant sthing like - Press shutter, keep pressing it for XX seconds at XXX ISO, play around with the lighting. For film SLR, can do like that one.
    When learning photography 101, of course use manual mode. Anyway, I wasnt much of a student, dont know how to describe.

DSLR I've only tried it once or twice in auto mode. Didnt want to mess up my friend's camera. Aiyoo, not that super old type that you posted the pic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what exchanging?
    didnt you read properly? "i am willing to accept that aged-lens as a gift"
    ok, to further my sincerity, i pay the courier service.

now, send me the lens!!!!
    Err, since you are the boss....

I will deliver it personally as a sign of respect. Send me the airfare, business class to make sure the glass gets there safely and hotel accommodation ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast