User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 70

Thread: Canon EOS 7D

  1. #1
    Moderator drifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Canon EOS 7D

    today, Canon unveils its APS-C format DSLR flagship.
    key features;
    • 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor
    • 8 frames per second continuous shooting
    • 1080p HD video recording with manual controls
    • 3.0 inch Clear View II LCD screen with 920,000 dots
    • 19-point AF system (all cross-type)
    • 1.0x magnification and 100% coverage viewfinder
    • Wireless flash control
    • Environmental sealing
    similiar to EOS 5D II but with APS-C sensor size. a better specs to current 50D.
    further reading.

    i think this will pleased the aps-c users which they have lenses designed for the aps-c format. a pro-body for harsh conditions.
    wonder what is it price tag?

  2. #2
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    US$1700

    i think they have a winner here if the noise level isn't too bad.

    it is a much better camera than the 5D2 due to the new/better AF mechanism and faster frame rate, as well as built-in flash control. the 5D2 trumps it by having FF.

    the killer cam will be 5D2 sensor + 7D everything else.

    in fact, that's what the 5D2 should've been. but i think Canon really screwed up there.

    US$1700 is very reasonable and will be a Nikon D300s killer.

    i am personally quite tempted. the mk3 is just way too heavy to carry around.

  3. #3
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The price..

    ..is a cool $1700 for body only..http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Camera...s=Canon+EOS+7D..yep, another tweener from Canon..

  4. #4
    Moderator drifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i am personally quite tempted. the mk3 is just way too heavy to carry around.
    add one or couple of wide zoom, you will be ok with the aps-c.
    now, we are waiting there is any review on its new lower density sensor for low light shooting. better noise reduction. canon has been fighting in the market with higher megapixel which will suffer in low light, now they have the real thinking. even the G11 has lower megapixel.
    wonder what will Cheung think of this? 5D II....

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,452
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    aaargghhhh

    15 chars

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,452
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    looks good.

    Check out picture 25 taken at ISO3200. Colours look quite acceptable and noise is controlled

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The samples at Imaging Resource seem to indicate that the 5DmkII still looks better at ISO3200 compared.

    Yes, this will make an excellent sports camera. Not to mention 'birding' camera as well. We'll have to see some "real world" samples from real photographers taking pictures in challenging conditions to see if the ISO quality holds out.

    The specifications are quite amazing by my books. And not to mention the price! Its actually lower than the D300s ?

    Too bad I have other priorities at the moment to look at (hobby wise ... ) else this would work out to be a nice complement to the 5Dmkii for those 'fast and furious' moments!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jakarta & Auckland
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yep, this certainly complement 5D2 just like 1Ds and 1D.
    Agreed with Kwun this is what should 5D2 be.

    IMHO: 7D with FF sensor with resolution around 12-15 will be a killer body, I think 18mp does not really match the body (if the intention is for mid-range sport photog). I guess we can't have the best of both world

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    aaargghhhh

    15 chars
    like cellphones, the next model is alway sexier

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ae86trueno View Post
    Yep, this certainly complement 5D2 just like 1Ds and 1D.
    Agreed with Kwun this is what should 5D2 be.

    IMHO: 7D with FF sensor with resolution around 12-15 will be a killer body, I think 18mp does not really match the body (if the intention is for mid-range sport photog). I guess we can't have the best of both world
    They could have revised the 1DSmkII's 16mp sensor with the latest technology and stuffed it into a camera with the same features as the 7D, weather sealing quality same as the 1D and come out with a "3D" for US$3500~4000 and I think there will be a queue stretching from BH Photo all the way round New York Central Park !

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your mind
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow, you all must be rich! Or... have jobs! Haha. I'm more worried about the entry-level range, as well as the M4/3 and the Samsung NX APS-C.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jakarta & Auckland
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    They could have revised the 1DSmkII's 16mp sensor with the latest technology and stuffed it into a camera with the same features as the 7D, weather sealing quality same as the 1D and come out with a "3D" for US$3500~4000 and I think there will be a queue stretching from BH Photo all the way round New York Central Park !
    ahh exactly!! I thought the same too, I guess marketing purpose? Canon learn with the G series mp it goes down with G11, why 18mp with 7D :|
    yes it give more option to crop but FF with lower mp will be a better body

  13. #13
    Moderator drifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ae86trueno View Post
    Yep, this certainly complement 5D2 just like 1Ds and 1D.
    Agreed with Kwun this is what should 5D2 be.

    IMHO: 7D with FF sensor with resolution around 12-15 will be a killer body, I think 18mp does not really match the body (if the intention is for mid-range sport photog). I guess we can't have the best of both world
    yes, then the 7D will kill 5D II.
    my guess is Canon's marketing strategy again. 7D will kill 50D in no time. 50D lack of video recording. in term to catch-up competitor for aps-c format, canon comes up with 7D. which is slightly higher specs than nikon D300s.
    however, it is not easy to ask nikon users to change immediately, as they might have range of nikkor or nikon compatible lenses. it will attract newcomer to dslr for that higher mid range. mid range shall be 50D, low range will be 500D. high range will be 5D II and the ultimate will be 1D III.
    one thing that i dislike about canon now is they come out new model every year. just imagine that you bought a 50D 6 months ago and now, the 7D. save up a bit for the duration of 6 months, one can buy 7D now.
    as for the megapixel, i can see that 12-14mp for aps-c or dx format is optimum for detail images and low light(high IQ). as double-up sensor size to FF or fx, the ideal will be 24-26mp. now is for them to upgrade the processor for the FF or FX format, so the pro can burst more.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,014
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..is a cool $1700 for body only..http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Camera...s=Canon+EOS+7D..yep, another tweener from Canon..
    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    US$1700

    ..............
    USD$1,700?!! That's more than MYR5,000, can buy 3 laptops with that $$. <Sigh> Now I remember why I never took up photography as a serious hobby, though studying the angles & all was/still is very interesting.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 09-02-2009 at 08:27 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    USD$1,700?!! That's more than MYR5,000, can buy 3 laptops with that $$. <Sigh> Now I remember why I never took up photography as a serious hobby, though studying the angles & all was/still is very interesting.
    As with all hobbies, there are various ways to enjoy a hobby. If there is limited budget, then 'play' it the limited budget way. If there is no budget limit, then the sky is the limit.

    You can always stake out those 'buy and sell' sections in your local photography forums. A (still) very capable camera like the EOS 40D probably can be bought for less US$600 now. A kit lens like the 18-55IS is quite good for most forms of use. And it still takes pictures of quality way exceeding and PnS is capable. By a long way in fact.

    But it must be noted that most of the time with camera equipment, most of us are actually just "lusting" after them rather than 'planning' to buy them...

    Sounds as if we can buy it right away doesn't it ??

    Money doesn't grow on trees unfortunately... ...

  16. #16
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ^^Eyes are willing but the wallet is thin...^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsumaranai View Post
    Wow, you all must be rich! Or... have jobs! Haha. I'm more worried about the entry-level range, as well as the M4/3 and the Samsung NX APS-C.
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    USD$1,700?!! That's more than MYR5,000, can buy 3 laptops with that $$. <Sigh> Now I remember why I never took up photography as a serious hobby, though studying the angles & all was/still is very interesting.
    ..for me personally, the "Used" section in the "For Sale" dept. is always a good direction. I'd always scour for good deals esp. on this type of purchase, knowing DC technology will always improve thus the price will come down. I guess the key is patience and putting the wallet as far away as possible from our fingertips...
    In a few yrs, i'm sure a lot of us could purchase a "Used" but still workable 7D with a much cheaper price. So, no need to rush..
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    They could have revised the 1DSmkII's 16mp sensor with the latest technology and stuffed it into a camera with the same features as the 7D, weather sealing quality same as the 1D and come out with a "3D" for US$3500~4000 and I think there will be a queue stretching from BH Photo all the way round New York Central Park !
    ..what i'm personally looking fw to is for them to put such "killer" DC in a lighter, more similar type bodies of the mid to lower end models. I've used both the mid-range camera bodies as well as the 1D MkII body and the difference in weight is definitely there; and that's before carrying the extra weight of those big lenses.
    7D is getting close to that "killer" DC; body-wise as well as tech-wise...
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jakarta & Auckland
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    yes, then the 7D will kill 5D II.
    my guess is Canon's marketing strategy again. 7D will kill 50D in no time. 50D lack of video recording. in term to catch-up competitor for aps-c format, canon comes up with 7D. which is slightly higher specs than nikon D300s.
    however, it is not easy to ask nikon users to change immediately, as they might have range of nikkor or nikon compatible lenses. it will attract newcomer to dslr for that higher mid range. mid range shall be 50D, low range will be 500D. high range will be 5D II and the ultimate will be 1D III.
    one thing that i dislike about canon now is they come out new model every year. just imagine that you bought a 50D 6 months ago and now, the 7D. save up a bit for the duration of 6 months, one can buy 7D now.
    as for the megapixel, i can see that 12-14mp for aps-c or dx format is optimum for detail images and low light(high IQ). as double-up sensor size to FF or fx, the ideal will be 24-26mp. now is for them to upgrade the processor for the FF or FX format, so the pro can burst more.
    Yep, I know they will never come out with 7D + FF.. else they will kill the 5D line. (well one can dream right? ). Yeah, it was like 1.5 years then now it come out like every 1 year. plus this new line will surely dent the xxD line (unless one is limited by budget but want more than xxxD or xxxxD line).
    IMHO, they got pushed by other maker esp Nikon. This 7D itself seem directly to compete with the Nikon's Dxxx line.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canon EOS-1D X
    By drifit in forum Badminton Photography
    Replies: 6
    : 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
  2. Canon sx1 IS
    By cheeyf in forum Badminton Photography
    Replies: 4
    : 12-17-2008, 07:22 AM
  3. Anyone getting the Canon 40D?
    By Sealman in forum Badminton Photography
    Replies: 12
    : 10-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •