how to return defensive push shots chest height to head height

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by logicalguy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Every now and then an opponent will push or drive the shuttle close-ish to the body between the chest and head height and I'm in the middle of the court and I struggle to return anything more than a drop shot - especially the backhand side. How do I get more power in my returns? What is the correct technique and where does the power come from?

Also, on the forehand side when the shuttle is driven or about shoulder/head height to the far forehand side and it is in line with your body or just past you, how do you return it with power? I'm watching this youtube video and the chinese player plays these kind of returns with amazing effectiveness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGmPFSoB1Y4&feature=related

at 0:26, 2:10

Can comebody describe/break down this shot for me? Again, where does the power come from? Thanks

2. buchzdoa

buchzdoa Regular Member

ALL the power comes from straight out of your arm, as opposed to other shots where you use your body。It's kind of like taking a hard swing at it.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Racquets up! You gotta expect a fast return if you make a poor shot. IMO, a poor shot means either high enough lift for opponents to capitalize on or a bad shot placement where you hit the shuttle within their area of coverage.

It takes more than technique to return those bodyshots. You need to expect it both mentally and physically. Mentally as in expecting those shots and preparing returns for them way before they happen. Physically as in terms of short stroke/swing and low body stance. Of course, sometimes those shots can be too good to defend, cramping your strokes and forcing you to make an error or weak replies. But then again, you're supposed to minimise those anyways by playing smart.

#3 cappy75, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    keep your racquet held out, not tucked into your body, and around waist height. That should give you plenty of time to react. If it's head height, I bend my knees. Just remember a lot of smashes around your chest level actually go out the back...