Do I need a smaller grip??

Discussion in 'Grip' started by hacksteal, Sep 2, 2009.

1. hacksteal

hacksteal New Member

I am currently using a yonex NS 9900 which is as you know a speedy racket

My current grip is the Gosen MG-20 which i found to be rather larger when compared to other normal grips, plus i also have a short hand.

I would like to no if there are any disadvantages in using the grip that may be to large for me for a racket such as the yonex ns 9900?

2. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

If your grip is too large, you may have to use the palm of your hand much more than you should. The racket is supposed to be controlled using your fingers, and this becomes difficult when the grip is too big. However, if the grip is too small, you will probably get blisters. I recommend making your grip as small as possible, but not so small that your hand feels uncomfortable.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I take it your racket is 3ug3 had a problem at first with my grip being too small so I use yonex towel grip which I good size and feel
    Probaly you should just use thin overgrips until you get your desired grip

4. DonnyGan

DonnyGan Regular Member

Logistics
    i started off with really thick grips.

then i slowly noticed i'm going thinner & thinner.

Now i'm just using 1 layer of Karakal PU super.

what i'm trying to say here is, you will need to experience it for yourself.

5. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Agree with DonnyGan. I feel, grips that are too thick will hinder your hand movement when you are trying to change your grip. On the other hand, if it is too small, you wouldnt be able to grip the racket properly.

Experience it yourself, to find the ideal thickness of grip.:)

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I was gong to add. If you use too small of a grip, it would feel that your racket would want to fly out of your own hand. It may feel that you can manueuver well with a grip which is too small however the shot stabilty upon inpact is unstable. You would need to put more energy to generate the torque in the racket.

Too big of a grip feels like your are unable to secure your grip tight enough on the racket and unconfortable maneuver and to generate power.

The correct grip size, you would be able to generate torque to generate power and maneuver your racket with ease.