where to get MP99 3U in singapore

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by toys, Oct 24, 2002.

1. toys

toys New Member

Hi! I'm interested in getting an MP99 in Singapore at a reasonable price. I take it from other threads I've read that bras basah is the place to get a reasonably priced original yonex racquets. I'd like to know where in brash basah exactly and I understand there are 2 variations of the MP99 2U and 3U. If I understood correctly the latter is lighter but has a bigger grip size.
    I have small hands and I'm more comfortable with small grips and I prefer a lighter racquet for better control and maneuverability. So, I'm quite undecided between the two.
    Any inputs are most appreciated! :):)

2. toys

toys New Member

Oh! and want to get Yonex SHB-95 shoes and a badminton bag as well. Suggestions?! Thanks! For Ladies!
    :)

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Queensway shopping center.

4. modious

modious Regular Member

For SHB 95 shoes, they can't be found at Queensway Shopping Centre. Go to Bras Basah instead.

5. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    HI....
    I'm also interested in the MP99 3U version......
    how much is it going for at the moment?!
    i'll be sitting in transit when i visit in s'pore so my family will be going shopping during that time ...... we'll be going to Orchard Road.... so is there any badminton shops on that road or near there selling the MP99?
    thanks!
    Z

6. modious

modious Regular Member

You've gotta be kidding me.

Orchard? Yes there're a few badminton shops in the vicinity but the MP99 SP costs around S$400 plus the last time I saw it at the Yonex Sunrise Singapore Open! I'm sure Orchard area charges around that price as well. I will rather spend my money importing a JP or CN MP90 at that kind of prices!!

MP99 SP costs around S$250 at Bras Basah. Not too sure about Queensway.

#6 modious, Oct 27, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2002
  7. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

What the?

I can easily get an AS model MP99 (meaning 2U G3), with warranty for $240 AUSD, probably less if I tried. If only they had 3U G4s, sigh.

But that pretty much means that the cost for an AS in Australia, which has a waranty is the same as an SP in Singapore, taht doesn't sound right.

PS AUSD is pretty close to Sing Dollars in value.

8. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    HI.....
    ive done some searches about Bras Basah, but i'm confused...... is Bras Basah like a suburb or street or is it an actual Shopping Complex that contains many shops?!

If its a shop, can anyone please tell me the street name where i can find it?!

thanks

9. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    yeah i think i can be regarded as a small shopping complex...
    it more like a building with a lot of individual shops in it.

street name? not sure about that, but then it's quite a well known place. it's directly opposite raffles hotel, near bugis juntion and raffles shopping arcade...

i hope this helps!

10. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Thanks IRIS.....
    greatly appreciated!
    is it anywhere near Orchard Road though?! how many minutes drive is it from there?
    thanks

11. modious

modious Regular Member

less than 5-15 mins depending on which part of Orchard you're in.

12. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    you can take the mrt (equivalent of a subway/underground train) from orchard to a stop called "city hall" from there you can ask around for a place called bras basah... it's very near and well-known, so you got nothing to worry! =P

13. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Cool....
    thanks IRIS and Modius.....
    what's the best shop to get the MP99 in Bras Basah anyway? and how much? any deals i can get wif it like strings or grip? Also, my mother might be getting another racket too, so any chance of bargaining?
    thanks fellas
    Z

14. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Opposite Raffles Hotel, towards Bain St, easier to remember that way..... ;)

15. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Bras Basah is the name of the area.
    The name of the building is Bras Basah Complex.
    Like Byro-Nenium says, its opposite Raffles Hotel.

16. Altezza

Altezza Regular Member

Actually, the price of the MP99 in Singapore is quite artificially high, relative to the price of other models here. Sunrise Singapore sets it at $400-500+ retail. I bought my MP99 SP (3U G4) at Ranking Sports (Bras Basah Complex-3rd flr)) 2 months ago for $260, no strings. The MP 100 there and at the ground floor bookstore was around $159-169.

I was in Hong Kong in my quest for CBG-100 string and was walking along Fa Yuen st, I saw MP99 SP model 3U G4, for HK$850 (ard S$190), and MP90 JP model for HK$1350 (over S$300). Big price difference. But I bought the MP90 just to try if there was a difference. And strings in HK are more expensive than in Singapore for available models, and definitely more expensive than the set Yen price.

I'm not surprised that the MP99 can be cheaper in Australia (AS model). Probably it will be same level as the MP100 is a few months.....:D

17. toys

toys New Member

When an MP99 purchase becomes a learning point. Scrutinize items u're buying!

Hello! Thank you for all the posts! I was able to locate 3 stores in bras basah. One on each floor. I purchased an MP99 for S$280. That was the best price they could give me despite me haggling for S$250. I checked the shaft of the racquet as well as the lower part of the racquet itself. Thought it was good enough. Gave this raquet as a gift to my boyfriend and he pointed out to me bubbles and a chip on the paint on the upper portion of the raquet which I neglected to check. It was such a bummer, I felt so bad! (he was kind of dissappointed :( .. can tell.... ) For the price I paid it didn't look like a brand new racquet! I was dissappointed that the store owner would sell me such a racquet, I was too complacent in thinking singaporeans would be more fair, but I should have checked it further. So that's a learning point for me. Imagine! I wouldn't mind S$20 more for an intact racquet in perfect shape!

Of the 3 shops I visited, I liked the store owner of the shop at the 3rd floor the most. He was more helpful despite the fact he didn't have the MP99 in stock (too bad!!!) and he gave me the best price for it...

The lady in the shop on the ground floor is also very nice but the prices are the highest hehehe though I was able to buy bad shoes and bag from her. This shop has better selection.

18. toys

toys New Member

I just have to say....

I feel so so so so bad about that racquet. Definitely not happy about it! I've been back for 3 weeks already yet everytime I see that racquet (which is every other day), this very unpleasant feeling settles in the pit of my stomach.

I hope I get over this soon.... but next time I go to sing.... I will not visit that store.... not anymore! and!!! I will scrutinize everything I buy!!!

19. Biogentic

Biogentic Regular Member

student
    very sad to hear that u purchase a racquet with some minor scratches and with such a high price u pay for. Indeed it is very saddening, well care to let us know the shop i will boycott it as much as possible.

20. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

bras basah

went to make enquiry on the ti-10, and was quoted @ S$169 without string, but when i told her that the shop next to hers quoted only S$155 without bargaining, she changed her story. when we settled @ S$170.00 with bg85, she left the shop, i asked for a new racket, and was told by another lady that thats the only one left without even knowing what model was talking about or what grip size. screwed her and went next door and willingly paid S$170.00 for it. BTW the dishonest shop is selling the mp99 3U/G4 @ S$319 or something like that whereas the shop i bought my ti-10 quoted @$270 but no stock.