User Tag List

View Poll Results: What will be Kwun's newest camera for badminton photography?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon 7D

26 31.33%
  • Nikon D700

16 19.28%
  • Micro 4/3rds camera

2 2.41%
  • None of the above but it will be Nikon

14 16.87%
  • None of the above but it will be Canon

25 30.12%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I am talking about concepts.
    can you elaborate the concepts. i am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..ask
    is that you using the micro 4/3?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since there was an impressive show of professional photographers at the Beijing Olympics, it would be more relevant to have colour photos taken by these professionals appear in the local press. I found nothing in the SCMP in Hong Kong. Maybe, other countries did print them. If so please share. If not, then all those professional photographers went to the Beijing Olympics on a free holiday?
    I have a close relative, a sports reporter for Malaysia's leading Chinese newspaper, who was sent to both the Beijing Olympics and the UEFA EURO 2008, to cover and report on these two event's sporting activities. He was accompanied by a professional photographer. Also, one of my nieces reports for a leading Chinese daily in Malaysia, covering politics and governmental affairs-very useful resource for special favours from the top if you have a problem-who would not take any photos herself but would insist a professional photographer accompany her as and when she requests when on assignment. I asked both of them over dinner wasn't this a waste of resources? Why can't they bring along a camera with them and do two jobs at the same time, like reporting + photographing all in one? They were stumped but just said that was not how they do it in Malaysia. Isn't the word "photojournalism" a profession that combines the two? Take it from me, if I were to asked to clean up a newspaper that is losing money in Malaysia, I have a lot of fat I can get rid of. I see the same "fat" in today's bulky 35 mm FF cameras!
    Surely, there must be hundreds of colour photos showing LCW's exploits in Beijing filling all the pages of Malaysia's papers. What about Korea, China, Japan, Danmark, England, USA, Indonesia?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    can you elaborate the concepts. i am interested.
    Let me lead you on a world tour but I will provide you the basic elements for you to put together some semblance of structure. First, one thing at a time.
    An idea, one that will persuade everyone, everywhere to have a powerful photographic tool, beyond the P&S, to easily put in his pocket or her handbag. Now what sort or what type of "animal" that fits the bill?
    Drifit, can you try to pick it up from here? If in doubt, let us discuss.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, i do want to know the exact concepts that 4/3 or micro 4/3 into. the concepts so good that even Leica and mr taneepak reluctant to venture into.
    as it is easy to carry where ever we go, you might consider to get one. snapping photos along your travelings. taking family photos. photos quality that on par with Leica 35mm.
    now, we can get kwun venture into micro 4/3 or 4/3. again, i will definitely get into them as when they can meet my criteria that i mentioned before.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Strange as it may seem, I don't have a micro four thirds camera, let alone any of its lenses, etc. I am talking about concepts.
    I do not expect many of you to venture into the micro four thirds, maybe for fear of "what will the neighbours think?" However, the strong ones will dare venture forth. Time will tell.
    Sigh, you challenge us to use the micro four thirds for badminton and yet you are not willing to put your money where your mouth is. That strikes a chord of hypocrisy.

May I turn your own words back: I do not expect you to venture into the micro four thirds, maybe for fear of "what will the neighbours think?" you=taneepak and neighbours=other forum members.

For all your arguments, taneepak, we would dearly love to see some of your badminton photos. We would like to see your persuasive arguments backed up by photos. After all, what use is equipment if not implemented to take a photo which can then be admired upon.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

hey, how come so few people voted on my poll. This must the record lowest votes on a poll on BF.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Sigh, you challenge us to use the micro four thirds for badminton and yet you are not willing to put your money where your mouth is. That strikes a chord of hypocrisy.

May I turn your own words back: I do not expect you to venture into the micro four thirds, maybe for fear of "what will the neighbours think?" you=taneepak and neighbours=other forum members.

For all your arguments, taneepak, we would dearly love to see some of your badminton photos. We would like to see your persuasive arguments backed up by photos. After all, what use is equipment if not implemented to take a photo which can then be admired upon.
    Look, I don't take photos any more. To go out of my way to buy a micro four thirds camera just to take up your challenge, when I am no longer a practising photographer, is just being childish. It is like a kid asking someone to behave like another kid.
    What I allude to in "what will the neighbours think......" is more intended for those who are now entrenched in the larger dlsr cameras. It is a teaser.
    Let us see if you, Cheung, will venture forth to something new like the micro four thirds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, i do want to know the exact concepts that 4/3 or micro 4/3 into. the concepts so good that even Leica and mr taneepak reluctant to venture into.
    as it is easy to carry where ever we go, you might consider to get one. snapping photos along your travelings. taking family photos. photos quality that on par with Leica 35mm.
    now, we can get kwun venture into micro 4/3 or 4/3. again, i will definitely get into them as when they can meet my criteria that i mentioned before.
    You are on the right track. At least you are not blindly against the concept, except you have reservations on its quality. This is natural because humans do not feel comfortable with the unknown. Let us separate concepts and problems. Problems can be worked on. BTW, Leica is in a way into the four thirds and also micro four thirds lens. Remember, both Nikon and Canon started with copycat lenses and bodies that were sneered at when they first started. The simple slr pentaprism took many years to refine. Just look at the first reflex viewing from Exacta cameras about 70 years ago. All these were huge problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's really ridiculious! u are the only one who say how wonderful the micro forth third is...........without using it! and now u want somebody to put his money and "venture" into it?

gosh! u are just great! a real great person/collector/photographer!

by the way, your said there were top professionals who took pictures of historical monuments and sights complain about the small size of the 24mm x 36mm sensor or negative as being totally useless for their job. can u tell me who they are now?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat View Post
    that's really ridiculious! u are the only one who say how wonderful the micro forth third is...........without using it! and now u want somebody to put his money and "venture" into it?

gosh! u are just great! a real great person/collector/photographer!

by the way, your said there were top professionals who took pictures of historical monuments and sights complain about the small size of the 24mm x 36mm sensor or negative as being totally useless for their job. can u tell me who they are now?
    A curator friend of mine who was also a keen part time professional photographer with his Leica M4 told me about the use of large format cameras being used to take photos of artifacts and also historical buildings. I have lost touch with him for about 18 years now but he can still be seen at the Sotheby's auction in Hong Kong as a sort of honorable Sotheby regular guest. He left his curator job in China and then came to Hong Kong and went into business to sell both smuggled and fake artifacts to rich Taiwanese. He even had me conned into buying some of his treasures which turned out to be fake, but they were very good fakes with Chinese cups, vases and bowls that were paper thin and really lovely.
    I guess you can also try to google "Why are large format cameras preferred for artifacts and historical buildings".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A curator friend of mine who was also a keen part time professional photographer with his Leica M4 told me about the use of large format cameras being used to take photos of artifacts and also historical buildings. I have lost touch with him for about 18 years now but he can still be seen at the Sotheby's auction in Hong Kong as a sort of honorable Sotheby regular guest. He left his curator job in China and then came to Hong Kong and went into business to sell both smuggled and fake artifacts to rich Taiwanese. He even had me conned into buying some of his treasures which turned out to be fake, but they were very good fakes with Chinese cups, vases and bowls that were paper thin and really lovely.
    I guess you can also try to google "Why are large format cameras preferred for artifacts and historical buildings".
    If u can tell me earlier. Then I would be able to ask Mr. Kelvin Ching (Sotheby's HK CEO) about the story your old friend and why Sotheby's has treated such person as an honorable Sotheby's regular guest! You know, I just met Mr. Ching few days ago!

Don't really need to google it. I know about the advantage of using a view camera on product shooting. But as i said, a real pro will bring the right gear to the right scene to deal with the right situation! Besides, i'd never heard of the term "a keen part time professional whatever"! was he an amateur?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If you looked & searched closely...

I may be mistaken but I believe there was not one single badminton photo in the Hong Kong newspapers of the Olympics Games in Beijing. What about the news media in other countries? Have you seen any Olympics badminton photos in colour in the local papers? Or were they all just black and white?
    ..or if you had used the internet you may and could find those photos. Badminton pics in the OG might not be printed on HK's hardcopy newspaper, but they could be available online/on their website.
    News media in other countries?..
    Here, i'll let you check out this media/photo website to see those wonderful pics taken during last yr's OG. And yes, this website is one of a few official press photo agencies in the world.
    http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...&src=standard#
    Since there was an impressive show of professional photographers at the Beijing Olympics, it would be more relevant to have colour photos taken by these professionals appear in the local press. I found nothing in the SCMP in Hong Kong. Maybe, other countries did print them. If so please share. If not, then all those professional photographers went to the Beijing Olympics on a free holiday?
    Surely, there must be hundreds of colour photos showing LCW's exploits in Beijing filling all the pages of Malaysia's papers. What about Korea, China, Japan, Danmark, England, USA, Indonesia?
    ..if you haven't seen them printed on newspaper, i'm sure you've heard of the internet/online newspaper websites..Now you understand why hardcopy newspapers around the globe are struggling financially if people could just get their news at their fingertips..That's where the photos are being shown..
    See above link...
    ...is that you using the micro 4/3?
    ..he could be holding an iPhone or a cell phone..

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Look, I don't take photos any more. To go out of my way to buy a micro four thirds camera just to take up your challenge, when I am no longer a practising photographer, is just being childish. It is like a kid asking someone to behave like another kid.
    What I allude to in "what will the neighbours think......" is more intended for those who are now entrenched in the larger dlsr cameras. It is a teaser.
    Let us see if you, Cheung, will venture forth to something new like the micro four thirds.
    Thank you Taneepak!!

hahahahaha. What you wrote applies directly to yourself. Well done!

To be honest, I do not discount the micro four thirds system. I do not think you can a post where I criticise the system. My only point is that you, who states it can be used for badminton photos, should go and prove it. Proof means letting the badminton community see the photo as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    hey, how come so few people voted on my poll. This must the record lowest votes on a poll on BF.
    All the options are to me. I vote Kwun will buy Yonex Arc Saber Z Slash. Now which should I click.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps the following may provide some interesting reading :
    1. www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html.
    2. Google "What are the advantages and disadvantages of micro four thirds for indoor sports photography".
    It is still difficult to see where digital photography is headed. A move to an open standard is made more difficult by the entrenched positions of the big boys because they have more to lose in an open standard system. Their immense vested interest in their legacy lenses, which are all non-open standard variety, makes it difficult for them to think conceptually of what is the future. Just imagine, if all the current digital formats are open standard systems prices will come down, quality will go up, the fittest will survive, and the greatest innovation in digital photography will ensue. We might even see a merging of still photography and video/movie to a much higher quality level, with its consequential potential as a breeding ground for great movie makers/directors of the future.
    Maybe a lesson from the film days can provide a useful reminder to manufacturers. The introduction by Kodak of the APS film format with flexibity to select 3 different sizes, APS-C, APS-H, and APS-P, was not a cooperative effort for an open standard but more a Kodak proprietary system to sell their new cameras and new format films. Although other camera manufacturers like Nikon, Canon, Fuji, etc., joined in, they did it reluctantly for fear of being left out by coming out with cheapy APS cameras. Film APS never really took off as it was associated with something low end and cheap. Now many manufacturers are using the APS standard that actually has no open standard, not because it is an inherently good concept but more for the simple reason that it was the biggest sensor they could come out with at the beginning. It was a bit like cannibalizing a dying Kodak format and fitting it into their own new digital body. This is a dire sign of a lumbering giant. I expect some thinking outside the box but I see very little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mention before. 4/3 is there as new line. Its good option for people who want more photo quality compared to p&s but does not want the bulk of slr. But I don't think it can replace dslr for serious photography especially for sports. Well at least not now. Who knows in future? But the quality I seen from those 4/3 is rather flat.. and also the speed is not there yet. end of day it comes down to price, image quality, performance (example the speed of AF).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ae86trueno View Post
    I mention before. 4/3 is there as new line. Its good option for people who want more photo quality compared to p&s but does not want the bulk of slr. But I don't think it can replace dslr for serious photography especially for sports. Well at least not now. Who knows in future? But the quality I seen from those 4/3 is rather flat.. and also the speed is not there yet. end of day it comes down to price, image quality, performance (example the speed of AF).
    Yes, Four Thirds is new, Micro Four Thirds is even newer born only a month or two.
    BTW, there are more Four Third Cameras that are dslr than there are Micro Four Thirds that are not considered dslr. The term dslr is a name for any digital camera format that uses reflex viewing through one lens with the aid of a mirror box with or without a pentaprism. In the film days we had the TLR, one lens for viewing and another one for taking pictures.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast