User Tag List

View Poll Results: What will be Kwun's newest camera for badminton photography?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon 7D

26 31.33%
  • Nikon D700

16 19.28%
  • Micro 4/3rds camera

2 2.41%
  • None of the above but it will be Nikon

14 16.87%
  • None of the above but it will be Canon

25 30.12%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably get a Canon G11. Much cheaper and handy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You fellows can actually test this out-whether Micro Four Thirds can do the job of FF dslr in a badminton hall for action pictures. Is light weight an asset or a liability? What do you do with the photos taken? Blow them up to 12" x 18" or 20" x 30"? Or simply to have them appear on the sports page of a newspaper in a size no bigger than 2" x 3" or display them on your pc monitor?
    The very top professionals who take pictures of historical monuments and sights complain about the small size of the 24mm x 36mm sensor or negative as being totally useless for their job. For them it is at least a 4" x 5" large format camera. These professionals are not bothered with weight of their equipment because they can take all the time in the world to take the best pictures for archives or museums.
    In a badminton hall, press photographers are designated a special place for taking picture. Now how will they fare with their huge lenses and heavy bodies if they were just one of the crowd? Try a 180mm F/2.0 lens on a micro four thirds and also on a FF camera with the same focal length and lens speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    This opens up a mouth-watering opportunity to shop for the best fast prime standard 50mm lenses of high quality for a song from any manufacturer. On a Micro 4/3 it becomes a 100mm F/1.4 or F/2.0 lens.
    Thats equivalent to always cropping to use only the middle FourThirds size of your frame and claiming that you have a 100mm 1.4 lens...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Probably get a Canon G11. Much cheaper and handy.
    This is a non-interchangeable lens camera but makes big claims about it being great for photojournalism in available light. Available light photography must use fixed focal length prime lens of a speed of at least F/2.0, preferably F/1.4 with the lens designed to perform at its optimal at maximum aperture. This alone eliminates almost all prime lenses except the very expensive top of the line fast lenses made by no more than 4 or 5 lens manufacturers in the market. No zooms are specifically made for available light photography, for the simple reason that they cannot live up to the name. After-market independent lens manufacturers, like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, make big claims but they are a false economy for fast available light lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You fellows can actually test this out-whether Micro Four Thirds can do the job of FF dslr in a badminton hall for action pictures. Is light weight an asset or a liability? What do you do with the photos taken? Blow them up to 12" x 18" or 20" x 30"? Or simply to have them appear on the sports page of a newspaper in a size no bigger than 2" x 3" or display them on your pc monitor?.
    i really wanna see how good it is! and most importantly, i wanna see your photos taneepak. i've never got the time to do it. so, can u do that for us instead?

The very top professionals who take pictures of historical monuments and sights complain about the small size of the 24mm x 36mm sensor or negative as being totally useless for their job. For them it is at least a 4" x 5" large format camera. These professionals are not bothered with weight of their equipment because they can take all the time in the world to take the best pictures for archives or museums.
    can u tell me who they are? presonally, i would think pros will always bring the right gear to the right secne!

In a badminton hall, press photographers are designated a special place for taking picture. Now how will they fare with their huge lenses and heavy bodies if they were just one of the crowd? Try a 180mm F/2.0 lens on a micro four thirds and also on a FF camera with the same focal length and lens speed.
    what about focusing speed?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NanoBatien View Post
    Thats equivalent to always cropping to use only the middle FourThirds size of your frame and claiming that you have a 100mm 1.4 lens...
    I think you are mixing up things a bit here. Four Thirds is just an aspect ratio, just like Three Twos as used to refer to FF dslr. At least Four Thirds loses less of its usable area than Three Twos (now you are being confused?).
    Technically it loses half its diagonal, just like a small large format 4" x 5" camera has a diagonal that is 3.5 times longer than a 35mm FF dslr.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Would they use the same equipments??..

..ask them if they would take actions/sports/journalism pics with their 4"x5" format camera??..

As for press photographers being designated a special place for taking picture, it doesn't only apply to badminton event. It's not so much abt them taking up spaces, but more so the equipments needed to do the job.
    Check out this pic, at a swimming event:
    Try to find any of those press photographers taking pics with their P&S or 4"x5" format cameras or their 4/3 cameras?!?!...Where are they???..

And here's one who took pics sitting in the middle of the spectators, during last yr's badminton event @ the OG:
    Last edited by ctjcad; 09-07-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You fellows can actually test this out-whether Micro Four Thirds can do the job of FF dslr in a badminton hall for action pictures. Is light weight an asset or a liability? What do you do with the photos taken? Blow them up to 12" x 18" or 20" x 30"?
    that is a great idea.
    can the micro 4/3 survive at iso3200 to iso6400? yeah, we just need some one to show us in here, no need big print.
    Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat View Post
    i really wanna see how good it is! and most importantly, i wanna see your photos taneepak. i've never got the time to do it. so, can u do that for us instead?

can u tell me who they are? presonally, i would think pros will always bring the right gear to the right secne!

what about focusing speed?
    i want the the answers too.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are mixing up things a bit here. Four Thirds is just an aspect ratio, just like Three Twos as used to refer to FF dslr. At least Four Thirds loses less of its usable area than Three Twos (now you are being confused?).
    Technically it loses half its diagonal, just like a small large format 4" x 5" camera has a diagonal that is 3.5 times longer than a 35mm FF dslr.
    I think it is clear that by "Four Thirds size" I refer to the 18×13.5 mm sensor size used by Olympus/Panasonic rather than the ratio. It is rather disingenuous of you to pretend to be confused.
    Last edited by NanoBatien; 09-07-2009 at 05:28 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You fellows can actually test this out-whether Micro Four Thirds can do the job of FF dslr in a badminton hall for action pictures. Is light weight an asset or a liability? What do you do with the photos taken? Blow them up to 12" x 18" or 20" x 30"? Or simply to have them appear on the sports page of a newspaper in a size no bigger than 2" x 3" or display them on your pc monitor? .
    Since you are the supporter of micro four thirds over FF DSLR, the onus is on you to prove the advantage of this format with its incumbant lens. It would be double standards if you do not practice what you preach...

I did allow a compromise - you can loan the appropriate micro four thirds equipment to one of us for use. I nominate Kwun to be the recipient.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Since you are the supporter of micro four thirds over FF DSLR, the onus is on you to prove the advantage of this format with its incumbant lens. It would be double standards if you do not practice what you preach...

I did allow a compromise - you can loan the appropriate micro four thirds equipment to one of us for use. I nominate Kwun to be the recipient.
    Strange as it may seem, I don't have a micro four thirds camera, let alone any of its lenses, etc. I am talking about concepts.
    I do not expect many of you to venture into the micro four thirds, maybe for fear of "what will the neighbours think?" However, the strong ones will dare venture forth. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be mistaken but I believe there was not one single badminton photo in the Hong Kong newspapers of the Olympics Games in Beijing. What about the news media in other countries? Have you seen any Olympics badminton photos in colour in the local papers? Or were they all just black and white?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is clear that by "Four Thirds size" I refer to the 18×13.5 mm sensor size used by Olympus/Panasonic rather than the ratio. It is rather disingenuous of you to pretend to be confused.
    Can you please explain what exactly do you mean, photographically?
    What exactly is "middle Four Thirds size of your frame"? How do you crop to use only the "middle Four Thirds size of your frame"? If "Four Thirds size" is the 18 x 13.5 mm sensor then what is the "middle Four Thirds size"? Is it the middle of 18 x 13.5 mm? If it is, where and how do you determine the "middle"?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange as it may seem, I don't have a micro four thirds camera, let alone any of its lenses, etc. I am talking about concepts.
    I do not expect many of you to venture into the micro four thirds, maybe for fear of "what will the neighbours think?" However, the strong ones will dare venture forth. Time will tell.
    yes, i will definitely venture into micro 4/3.
    condition;
    1. zoom lens (24-105mm f/2-4, in 35mm format relevance)
    2. built-in flash
    3. less than or around USD500
    very nice for my p&s camera, that as extra camera to my DSLR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing strange at all! but i must say it is very interesting! are u a writer of some camera magazines?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be mistaken but I believe there was not one single badminton photo in the Hong Kong newspapers of the Olympics Games in Beijing. What about the news media in other countries? Have you seen any Olympics badminton photos in colour in the local papers? Or were they all just black and white?
    HK papers must be on diet.

i can say most other countries prefer coloured-newspaper.
    example; (a small small tournament, tiny news, compare to Olympic)
    Monday September 7, 2009

Chong Wei urges Kwong Beng to thrive on Misbun’s harsh treatment

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: The fasting month teaches perseverance.
    And world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has challenged younger compatriot Chan Kwong Beng to persevere in tough training sessions to help him become a world-class player.
    The 22-year-old Kwong Beng was reduced to tears last week after receiving a tongue lashing from coach Misbun Sidek for showing a lack of commitment in training. Misbun had chased Kwong Beng out of the training session for two hours.
    Feeling down: Chan Kwong Beng was reduced to tears by coach Misbun Sidek’s tongue lashing last week.
    Chong Wei hoped that Kwong Beng would show better attitude in training after experiencing the harsh treatment from Misbun.
    “What Kwong Beng went through is nothing new. I have seen Misbun being angry like this almost four years ago,” said the 27-year-old Chong Wei.
    “In fact, I had experienced this when I was younger. Misbun threw me out of training for a week because I took it easy in training.
    “So I can understand how Kwong Beng felt. But he should not give up. He should take Misbun’s stern warnings on a positive note.”
    Chong Wei added that he had seen improvement in Kwong Beng since they began sparring against each other this year.
    At the Macau Open last month, Kwong Beng chalked up his career best win, beating Hong Kong’s Ng Wei in the third round.
    “Kwong Beng has provided me with quality sparring sessions together with another back-up player, Lok Chong Chieh. I believe Kwong Beng has a good future,” said Chong Wei.
    “But he will not make it if he does not show the desire to improve. He has to change his attitude and not play well only when he feels like it. There is no easy way to success.
    “I became the Malaysian champion when I was 22. He is fortunate that Misbun has faith in him and chosen him to spar and train with me on a full-time basis.
    “I am willing to part my knowledge and experience to him but it is his loss if he does not make good use of this opportunity.”
    Kwong Beng is now ranked 88th in the world and he has yet to win an Open title.
    The other players in the back-up squad include Tan Chun Seang, Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif. But they come under the charge of Indonesia’s former world champion Hendrawan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mr drifit, can we call astro to broadcast a special channel in this case too?
    or shall we have some 48 hours badminton?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast