How did u learn badminton skill?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LazyBuddy, Oct 24, 2002.

?

How did you learn badminton skills?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2002.
  1. From a Pro (player, coach)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. From a non-Pro (relative, friends who are not pro)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Almost never learn from others, just play and gain expereience

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Who did u learn badminton skill from? Hope I covered the most cases, but if u have some very "special" experience, plz share with us!

;)

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

pro = professional = get paid to play badminton all the time.
    i dont think there's that many (if any!) pros anywhere where i live

3. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    everyone's worst nightmare

Hi all, i was unfortunate enough to be taught and coached my my very own dad!! he was the coach of lancashire county juniors for a short time and now runs his own junior club. I wouldn't wish my experience on anybody - i'm better than he is now tho - revenge is ever so sweet

Neil

4. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I learned a lot of my skills from watching top players. I would study and analyze their moves, then go out and try to put that into practice. Also, if I was playing against someone who had a particular skill I was impressed with, I would try to incorporate that into my game. I also learned a lot from reading books that were available at the time. Finally, I went to a couple of clinics that gave group instruction.

I don't know how this fits into your poll.

5. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I think you should take some lesson on the basics of badminton at the minimum. Once you know what the basics are and what type of drill exercises you should do for practice, you should start watching other who play well and see if you can learn from them.

There are external improvements and internal improvements. If you are fortunate enough to join a training camp, good for you. Otherwise you can always train yourself. You can also ask friends to help you on your skills.

Be concious of your move when you practice and be automatic when you play.

Ben

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Started playing badminton because ever since I was 5, I would follow my mom to her club and watch her and her friends play. If I got a chance, I'll be able to hit a few shuttles back and forth with the people there. Everyone just took turns teaching me the basics. After that, I just learn from watching people play, trying pick up on the forte of each person at the various clubs and gyms I came across. Trying to learn more about tactics now.

7. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    experience........

:cool:

Just play play play almost everyday maybe you can get to be good :)

but REALLY you have to know the basics first :)

:cool:

8. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I actually picked up badminton with influence from my "tukang kebun" in Jakarta when i was living there. hehe

Tukang Kebun = Gardener

9. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    hmm, I learn from my mum, she was a player for her state last time and later by pros.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It is always difficult to teach one's son on anything, let alone badminton. I've failed trying to do this and have long given up.

In a way Neil should be secretly grateful that it was his dad, a qualified coach I suppose, who taught him the basics. It takes more than his youth to be able to beat his father. Count your blessing, Neil, for your grounding has been honed by him.

Like many others, I learnt badminton by playing with friends in the open-air, on cement floors in the back-lanes and with plastic shuttles, before graduating to playing in the school hall with wooden floors during my secondary school days. Yes we learn from others but later on as a working adult, I got interested in sports in general and badminton in particular and attended coaching courses to learn the finer points of the game and to improve my skills.

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Have to agree with Loh regarding learning stuff from father. My father have tried to teach me numerous things and although in the end I do learn them but the process is quite frustrating for both of us. Coop, I'll bet your father is very proud of you right now since that's one of the best things a teacher could hope for, to see the student become even better.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: experience........

Well, I think this kinda apply to my situation. I almost never be properly trained. Just play, and play. After suffer from numerious defeats (including a lot of blow outs), it's very good to learn from others and gain experience.

but sometimes, maybe because of lack of fundametal stuff, I feel like I hit my "bottleneck" somehow.

13. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    BadmintonForum.com!

14. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    hehe, kidding, but part of it is true.
    I never had a coach nor a friend to teach me anything, I learned from experiences and observations. I started playing when I was 7.

improvement is a bit slow compare to those lucky people out there, but I am improving everytime I play.

#14 Nic, Oct 25, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2002
  15. bigredlemon

Re: Re: experience........

Same here. I just joined my post-seconday school club and played alot. I thought I het platteau too when I wasn't getting any better for awhile (6 months!) But then i started quickly improving again (thx to a better racquet and BCforum of course :)

I'd love to get a coach but 200$ CAD is pretty expensive IMHO.

16. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    price for coach

$200 Canadian, is that in general? What's it like to have a coach, how often do you train, how long are the sessions, etc., are they all flexible depending on you.

17. bigredlemon

Re: price for coach

I don't have a coach, too expensive! My school offers group sessoins for $40 for a couple hours but it's for beggeners only. I think Lee's is $150 - $200. Not sure how long that's for, but I think a few people on this board train there.

18. carboncopy

carboncopy New Member

Chemistry
    from the library

I learned to play badminton in high school, but the coaches weren't very serious players. So I use to check all the badminton books I could find from the library and try to learn techniques and strategy from the books. It's pretty nerdy, but it was fun!

19. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Yeah, I've read badminton books too but when it comes to stroke techniques, nothing compares to having someone actually show you how it's done, problem is, the guy showing you could be wrong himself.