am i suitable for G5 grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Gold-, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    i find out i have hard time to tighten my index finger and thumb during the contact of shuttle. i manage to tighten my last three finger in the point of contact of shuttle. every time i use the G5 grip after tightening,my index finger seems to be leaving away from the grip and the grip tends to land on my thumb with quite a lot of force in the end my thumbs hurts(not sure how to clearly explain). does that means i am not suitable for G5 grip?
    my thumb around 6.5 cm
    index finger length is around 9.5cm
    middle finger around 9.5
    fourth finger around 9
    pinky finger around 7
    (measuring from my knuckle)
    how do you guys find out which size of grip suit you beside

i know small size hand for smaller grip bigger hand for bigger grip? how about medium?

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You have long fingers I must say, and that could be the reason why your fingers 'fly' into each other when you loosen your grip. Is your palm thick by the way? I myself have slightly shorter fingers but a thick palm, and I can only use G4.

A possible solution to this (courtesy to alan07) is to take off your current grip/grap, grip thightly a layer of overgrip (for example Yonex Super Grap) directly onto the wooden handle and then grip your usual replacement grip onto the overgrip layer. This should thicken the grip to about the size of a G4 but with minimal balance point shift to the butt end.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well if it hurts it's obviously not working for you.

Grips which are too small don't fit your palm well and squirm when you try to hold them comfortably tight. If you feel you have to squeeze hard to hold a G5 tightly, then it's too big.

Don't believe the hype, G5 won't work for you unless it fits your hand.

4. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

duh...how about experiment with different layers of overgrip until you find one that you can comfortably play with. if you find that the size that suits you entails putting too many layers of overgrip on your current grip, then get a bigger size grip next time, so you dont lose the feel of the bevels...unless you prefer a soft rounded grip.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Here is a general tip.

If your hand feels like your racket wants to fly off your hand, it means that the grip is too small. If your hands feel like you cannot grip the racket tight enough then it means the grip is too big.

You probably want to consider this as if you're wearing shoes - you need to get the appropriate size for what you need.