Racquet recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Blitzzards, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Hi guys, I'm currently training my cousin in badminton. He has some weakness in his stroke, because apparently he was using non branded cheap racquets which have pretty stiff shafts but flexible T-joints (I think the handle is made of plastic).

IMHO he needs some training in his wrist power and I'm planning to help him buy a stiff but technique based racquet. He finds my Nanospeed 9900 interesting to use and IMHO it may 'force' him to withstand the stiffness and develop wrist plus arm strength, but I'm also looking at the AT900T, which may be better for overall training.

Please help suggest me a training (and eventually main) racquet for him.

2. friendlyed

friendlyed Regular Member

Student
    hmmm it seems hes quite new your cousin? how long has he been playing? You dont really need wrist training at the start you will just hurt your wrist.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Fix his technique first. Get a low end muscle power or carbonex, and string at a decent tension (22-23lbs). If you want to go higher end...don't buy yonex. Try SOTX stuff...pretty good.

4. Blitzzards

I can hardly find high end badminton racquets in Sydney that does not bear the Yonex brand name....

He actually started on a low end Isometric 23VF. He finds it heavy to wield because of the 2U weight. I myself was trained with a 2U 1st gen Ti-10 (started from using Carb 8 and Carb 15). It did take me a year or so to get used to the stiffness but now I'm currently a heavy attacking smasher.

Should it work the same for my cousin if I train him the way my father did me? I'll start letting him use my Carb 15 before his new racquet arrives.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The advantage of a heavy racquet is that it's easier to swing, so you will find you gain lots of power. Unfortunately, if you do not have great technique, you will find that a heavy racquet encourages full swings with the arm and shoulder, and not much forearm action, which is the big power generator. So a heavy racquet for beginners is a shortcut for gaining power, however it is not good for long term improvement.

A medium weight racquet, of medium stiffness and of even balance is probably the best. Your cousin doesn't need a high end racquet! Get something light, balanced, and with good strings. These will set him up for success. Once he is better, with a better idea of his style, you can go shopping together for high ends.

6. Blitzzards

I guess his AT900T will have to wait then :D

I'll start training him with my old faithful Carbonex 15.

Thanks for the comment. Always keep it coming!