wrong racket for an intermediate player?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by invest, Sep 7, 2009.

1. invest

invest New Member

Hi guys!

My mom bought me a nanospeed 9900 which i have been using for nearly a month.

I've been experiencing some pain on my arms everytime i do my smash. I dont know how to call that exact part of my body that hurts but it's on the part of my triceps near the armpit i suppose.

I don't know if I'm just using a wrong racket or if i just exhausted myself on my training especially that we concentrate on feeding. I also play badminton 4 times a week, minimum of 4 to 5 hours.

1.) Am i using a racquet which is not fit for my level?
    2.) Do you think it's causing the pain? I'm really bothered cause i can't play properly since it really hurts. I can't even push the birdie till the back end of the court. All i can do is drop the ball.huhuhu!
    3.) Do you think the pain is an injury or just muscle soreness? I tried not to play for a week but the pain is still there. what will i do?

2. ice man

ice man Regular Member

Maybe it's just your body that is adjusting to your new stiff racquet, which is much more demending technically, so if you mishit or have a bad technique you're hurting yourself a bit

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I agree, the NS9900 is pretty stiff, although not as stiff as some of Yonex's old models (for example first gen Ti-10 and Carbonex 9 Tour). What you can do now is just simply go for a string with greater repulsion (mostly the thinner ones) and string your racquet at a lower tension. On a stiff racquet 19lbs is a good intermediate player's starting point.

Just keep practicing your shots; it is similar to abdominal muscle pain as you start a sit-up training regime. It will persist for sometime but you just don't stop as you'll grow accustomed to it after a while. Even after a year or so, after you have accustomed to the stiffness of the racquet, you may still experience some muscle burn at that area. This time it is due to your body developing new muscles as you keep playing and practicing.

4. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    but if the problem is where you describe it as, it should be more a problem with the way you hit it, you're probably stretching the area of your arm without warming it up

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's too fast for you...you're overstressing your swing to time it and get power. It's headlight and fast...so you have to have a good forearm technique to channel power without blowing your arm.

6. Evan77546

Evan77546 Regular Member

The 'NanoSpeed 9900' which your mother bought you has to be a counterfeit! If it were real, you wouldn't have these problems.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I belib u have to have the SKILLS in order to Take the BEST outta the racquet...

That's why there are Normal Edition Racquet & Player Edition Racquet...

If social players were to use Player Edition Racquet, they would have thought its a piece of junk because it takes a lot of skills & strength to fully utlize a good racquet...

In short...

There are racquet for lower range players & racquet for higher level players!

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I can give you Dinkalot's Panda Power Ultra I and you will have even more problems. Don't blame fakes for injury! Even real YONEX, especially high end, have a high potential for injuring non-advanced players because they are so demanding.

9. invest

invest New Member

Hi guys!

Thanks for all those who replied.

My racket is original. My mom bought from an official dealer of yonex here in our country. It has warranty and all those things that they put in the racket to signify its originality.

Based from your replies above, I think it's true that i exerted too much effort in hitting the ball since my coach pushes me to always hit the ball hard especially in pushing it at the back end of the court.

I also used a flex racket before that's why an extra stiff racket may have caused big changes on the execution of my technique.

Being an intermediate player, i guess i'm still an arm player not a wrist player.

1.) would you suggest that i change racket or do i stick with it so that i get used to it in the long run?

i just felt so bad since i joined a tournament and i can't even hit the ball hard the way i used to. i was always hesitant to smash since i know it will be painful afterwards. it's affecting me mentally as well.

2.) do you suggest that i play this coming thursday, saturday, and sunday or should i rest for a week or two?

10. invest

invest New Member

Btw, i'm using BG85 at 24 lbs.

11. RocKai

RocKai Regular Member

Hospitality
    Maybe go for 21/23lbs instead? Higher tension with thin string such as BG85 are good for drop and control especially with light racket. So lower the tension will push the bird further. Just my 2cents.