New Misbun Sidek racquet

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by marshall, Oct 25, 2002.

1. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    At the 2002 world Masters Games in Melbourne Australia, a Malaysian friend talked with Misbun Sidek and tried out a MP-style prototype MB is going to bring out. The racquet is light, with the balance toward the grip a bit. The paint job is golden yellow and pearl white. I didn't get to hit with it, but took a couple of practice swings. Very nice.

Misbun talked about his training techniques with us as well. He trains his players 6 hours a day, starting with slow running for about 1.5 hours and ending the last half hour with springs to build explosive power. Also, he won the gold medal in the 40+ singles, Elite Division. Very nice guy, easy to talk to.

2. neverland

neverland Regular Member

students
    Yah...he is one of the best player our country ever had. He actually founder of Nusa Mahsuri and train a player like Roslin Hashim before they out of money and certain rules from IBF that NOT allowed their player compete for the country except with BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) permission and they have problem with BAM too! Now everything have been settled and a player like Roslin have been NO.1 player for a few weeks. Misbun SIdek also create a weird but dangerous serve ever made by a player. Not so many of world player can stand that serve before IBF make it illegal bacause that serve ruins the bird. If the racquet have in store here (Penang), i'm going to buy it for sure :rolleyes:

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Can you describe the serve? I'm bored with mine, as it is exactly the same as everyone else's. Sounds like neat trick to pull though

4. ASDFASDF

ASDFASDF Regular Member

The S serve? It's illegal!

5. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    The serve is called the 'S' serve. (S as in Sidek) When I was younger ,we use to toy around with the serve with effect. Even now when I use the serve, people have problems with it. It is actually a very simple serve.

On a normal serve the cork is usually hit. But with the 'S' serve you hit the feathers first. The 'S' serve can only be executed using the backhand serve. What you do is hold the shuttle with the feather facing down and cork facing up. You then hit the feather with a slicing movement from left to right and you wil see the effect. It is very effective in doubles play. Razif and Jalaini (Misbun's younger brothers) won some doubles tournaments before this serve was banned. It takes practice to make this serve perfect.

Do try it out. I don't know if it would be called a fault when you play in minor tournaments coz not alot of peple know this serve.

Hope this is clear for you all to try it out. :)

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can't understand why Misbun actually entered the World Masters in the first place.

The 'S' serve is really only effective with feather shuttles. And these have to be new shuttles so that the spine of the feathers don't bend too easily.

I managed to develop a variant of the 'S' serve which would be legal but in the end was too inconsistent. One time I used well and the shuttle flew off the receiver's racquet and landed out.

7. bigredlemon

Ahhh... sounds good. :D I guess thebird's body would be flicked over the net just when the bird re-orients itself and falls straight down onto the service line? I can see the advantage of it, but it doesn't sound THAT hard to counter... then again i've never faced one so I wouldn't know. All of the clubs I've been down use plastic so I hope it'll still work!

8. bigredlemon

Come to think of it, i think a few people did do this. Fun to watch the 180 degree flip happen. It wasn't that effective IMHO with a plastic shuttle though, so they guy brought feathers to the club but didn't end up using them.

9. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    You said that to create this serve yo must do it with a slicing effect from left to right, but what about lefties players? can they do it by slicing from right to left?

10. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    yep...you can do it from left to right with the same effect for the lefties...:) But as Cheung kindly mentioned, the service will work only with feather shuttles. I have not seen it work on plastics.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But more effective for righthanders because of the way the feathers overlap.

12. viver

viver Regular Member

For lefthanders, do the opposite - cork on the bottom and feathers pointing up.

The 'S' serve (to me 'S' for spinning) as mentioned before, saw it during the mid-70's and performed by Tang Xian Fu, currently China national team coach. I saw it for the first time in HK Invitational back probably in 1975 (or 1976). Tang used this serve in doubles mostly. Not sure when the Sidek brothers started to use it.

Misbun Sidek is an excellent player. His strokes are so wonderful, a delight to watch. Only thing is his stamina was not his strong point.

13. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Interesting comment about Misbun's stamina. When he was describing his training program for the Nusa Mashuri players, he emphasized building stamina. BTW, I always thought Rashid would have done better if he had more stamina. In one tape I've seen, a singles match against Ardy Wirinata, Rashid was stalling as much as he could, trying to get a bit of rest, asking for the courts to be wiped, picking up bits of feather, an so on.

14. bigredlemon

Ok, I guess i was thinking of a different serve then... will try with plastic anyway even if it doesnt work... just to confuse the other side.

15. viver

viver Regular Member

I enjoy watching Misbun playing. His strokes are excellent and highly deceptive. Had chance to watch him a few times during HK Open during the 80's. Remember his matches - most of them winning 1st set by big margin only, leading 2nd and then losing, finally losing the 3rd most of the times by big margin. You can see him huffing and puffing from mid 2nd set onwards. In my opinion he had one of the best strokes of all the top players at that time - especially his half smashes and fast drops.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

This serve will not work with nylon shuttles. It work with feathers due to the feathers disposition. And another issue, using this motion to serve could be considered fault by actual rules. Actual rules point that when serving you have to clearly hit the cork first. With the 'S' serve you strike the feathers first.

17. neverland

neverland Regular Member

students
    Hi guys...
    Not only Misbun, but Fung Permadi also had a brand-racquet-name.
    In my life,actually i never ever had a chance to witness the Misbun Sidek glory
    because i grew up with the name like Rashid Sidek,Ardy Wiranata, Hariyanto Arbi, and some other player. But from what i know, Misbun is really a good coach.
    I have read it that he jog not morning or night but afternoon to build his stamina.
    I have never had a chance to see him playing but of course a high stamina player like Hendrawan also sometimes 'leaking' and this is often even to a world player when they met someone who controll the game.