On-line Badminton Ladders ...

Discussion in 'Places to play / Clubs / Local Events' started by bdaviduck, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bdaviduck

bdaviduck Regular Member

Hello All,

Well, with everyone always asking "where to play" and "who to play", I decided to start an on-line badminton ladders site so that players could find and challenge one another.

Anyone can create a ladder (for singles or doubles) - invite others to join the ladder and then challenge others within the ladder. Scores may be entered and the system will adjust ladder rankings, etc.

Currently, Canada and the United States are supported -- but if there is enough interest, other countries can be added.

So, if you want to start a badminton ladder in your city, town, school, workplace or club, have a look at:

http://www.BadmintonLadders.com

Enjoy.

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

That is interesting, I actually had a similar idea for gyms that implement a computer based queuing system. It would keep track of your wins and losses against various club members and assign points and essentially an open gym club ladder type thing.

Good luck with this though.

3. ABCmanagement

ABCmanagement Regular Member

Hi-Qua Badminton Ladder - Doubles (Monday at ABC)

Hi BadmintonLadder.com

I just created a Doubles Badminton Ladder for ABC Members (and non-Members too) to be played every Monday. Will try your program out and let you know the outcome.

Thanks very much for bringing so much fun to our Badminton world. If you come to Southern California in the future. Please come to play at my club and will be on me.

William Chan
    ABC:)

4. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Nice concept.
    The issue is there is always someone has to monitor, follow-up and enter the correct scores manually, which is very common to be forgotten.

5. cwrki

cwrki New Member

Student
    Hi guys,

You can also create badminton ladders (or ladders for any other type of 1-on-1 sport) at Sportmeets.com. All the scoring is done automatically. http://sportmeets.com

6. yifan917

yifan917 Regular Member

How come the badminton ladders link doesn't work??

7. court9

court9 Regular Member

Run a badminton website
    Badminton Ladders

Hi, ladders are a great way to encourage people to play more and introduce a bit of competition into your local club.

I'm part of a team who work on a dedicated racket sports website catering for Badminton, Squash and Tennis. Among many other things, we offer fully automated ladders on www.court9.com.

The site is still very young and we're looking for your feedback to help us turn this into a great tool for Badminton players.

Court9 Team (Lee)

8. bdaviduck

bdaviduck Regular Member

The reason the link does not work is because the site was taken down. Why was the site taken down? ...

1. I sent requests to link to the badmintonladders.com web to EVERY provincial and state level badminton association in Canada and the United States -- in that one year period, only one provinicial association (Alberta) set-up a link (in a brief notice that was quicly buried).

2. I e-mail the president of Badminton Canada (no reply) and for six months e-mailed the person that looked after their web site -- no link or mention of badmintonladders.com was ever put on the Badminton Canada web site -- however they are now asking for money...

3. On April 1st, 2010 after one year of operation -- I pulled the plug.

Clearly -- those in charge of badminton have little interest in promoting the game or linking to sites that promote the game -- had the site been "strung" (excuse the pun) to tennis, it probably would have had links posted on nearly every provinical and state level tennis site out there -- in short, my experience has shown that the powers to be have little interest in helping the sport of badminton -- at least in North America.

End of story.

9. court9

court9 Regular Member

Run a badminton website
    wow - that's a real shame that only one organisation was willing to play ball. Could you try contacting a host of individual clubs?

We're over in the UK but could run into the same problems - do you have any advice?

10. bdaviduck

bdaviduck Regular Member

Hello,

Yes -- I contacted individual badminton clubs and associations -- either no reply or they refused to put up links to the ladder site. Again, I think that badminton seems to be unique in the world of sport -- those that play like to keep it "closed" -- the irony is that the sport will never see the exposure that others enjoy, ie: tennis.

Goold luck though in your venture!

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Has that truly been your experience? :(

That is what people say about badminton around here, but I thought it was just because the sport is relatively small on the East Coast. Surely a "member's only" mentality can't be a traced to something innate in badminton players, can it? :confused:

12. bdaviduck

bdaviduck Regular Member

Sadly, yes, that has been MY experience. As I said earlier, I would try to contact associations no more than once a month (to avoid being too annoying) -- in a one year time frame, I had only one link posted to the badminton ladders site -- the only conclusion I can draw is that clubs and associations did not seem to want more members -- or worse, did not want to offer members access to a system that could have connected them with other [local] players. I still love the game, but my one-year effort in trying to promote it left a bitter taste ... in particular, the lack of support from Badminton Canada.

As an aside -- anyone interested in setting up a national nylon badminton league? As much as playing with feather is great -- wouldn't it be great if a league existed that was based on nylon only? -- just and idea -- please don't blast me for liking nylon (but I do!).

13. sportavid

sportavid New Member

I just launched a website to manage your badminton ladder. Check it out here:

bad.laddera.com

I am not sure how far it can go. Hope to get your supports.

Thanks,

14. sportavid

sportavid New Member

15. mryea

mryea New Member

Just signed up today. Can the ladder work within only a club members only?

16. sportavid

sportavid New Member

Yes, the ladder works within only a club/ladder members only. Have fun! :)