mississauga/toronto west end?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by nomadking, Oct 26, 2002.

1. nomadking

nomadking New Member

hello everyone!

i just got back into badminton and was wondering if anyone knows where there may be a good place to play in mississauga or the west end of toronto. i'm not pro but looking for a place with good competition. i read some other posts on this site and think i might check out george brown college. a closer place to play would be more convient though. thanx to anyone who can help!

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

YMCA missisauga has some nice badminton courts...not a club though, so you gotta bring friends!

3. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

regarding mississauga they only place is the Erindale badminton club, unfortunatly you will have to wait till next sesson to sign up, as the new sesson has already started.

Also there is Lee's Badminton In toronto, it's a dedicated badminton club with traners on hand go give them a look.

Here is there web site www.leesbadminton.com

4. nomadking

nomadking New Member

thanx everyone for the info. i'll check out those places and see how good they are.

5. bigredlemon

he doesn't need to go THAT far for badminton. There's dozens in etobicoe. Check badminton ontario's website for a list of schools that have badminton clubs you can join. Or maybe it's another web site... its there somewhere.

6. nomadking

nomadking New Member

thanx bigredlemon

i just checked out that site and it led me to the toronto badminton site. i guess i'll start calling around. hey if you know when and where there may be tournaments or competitive play, that would be great. doubles or singles. i just wanna start playing again.

7. bigredlemon

If you hear about any tourneys in TO, post some info here. I've havent played any tourneys in... a year!

8. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

If you want the best in TO, then lee's is the place PERIOD!

9. bigredlemon

Lees is too far away for me. I'm limited by the TTC :eek:

10. nomadking

nomadking New Member

how much is it to play at lee's if you just wanna drop in? the membership there is a ripoff. too far to go to from mississauga but i'd like to go there to see how the competition is like. and i'll post and tournaments up for anyone who wants to join if i find any.

11. ASDFASDF

ASDFASDF Regular Member

That is not true.... Lee's is not "the best"... Your answer is bias because I'm assuming you train at lee's..

Well, have you ever been to B&R? Granite? Boulevard?

Those are also badminton dedicated clubs.... granite and boulevard has other stuff too and costs the most but yes they have dedicated badminton facilities. I think RCYC has one too. Those places also have "top" coaches and produce good players.

Lee's is actually the cheapest compared to the others i listed.... is it the best? I don't think so.. :) Up there with one of the best in Toronto? You could say that...

There are also non-private badminton dedicated clubs with very good players... ones that run in rented gyms..... Don't "have" to be in private club for competitive matches.....

12. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

LOL, let me make myself more clear, LEE's is the BEST IN TO, why well let me explain.

First off they way I rate clubs is determined by an important factor, what you get for what you pay. Lee's is modest in price, dedicated 10:00am to 11:00pm badminton club, with top coachs, whom have played in the Hong Kong team, great stringing service, and carry a wide variety of equiptment, etc...

That other place you mentioned is more expensive than lee's by far, and isn't even that much better, and yet you are expected to pay more. Makes no sense to me.

#12 NVIDIA256, Oct 31, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2002
  13. bigredlemon

You mean Lees has the best value by far then. As for the other clubs... they have a very nice lounge (compared to Lees)

14. viper

viper New Member

too bad there is nobody to play there at Lee's...

the jr. players (guys) are not strong enough... and Troy (the coach) is better than anyone in Canada... not many good players (guys) there in general../

15. zero

zero Regular Member

Student

I guess that you must be new here on badmintonforum.com.... :eek:
    or even new to Lee's...

I suggest you use the search function about Lee's...
    ;)

16. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    hahahahaha
    i'll stay neutral on this issue =P

17. alex l

alex l Regular Member

what's RCYC ?

18. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

No I suggest you stop assuming, I know all about that thread about the guy who bought a FAKE cab 20 got it strung and blamed jennifer for the mistake. Most people I talk to that get threre rackets strung at lee's have never had a problem. I myself Have got my rackets strung there many times, and there service is excellient.

SO maybe you ought to go to lee's and try there stringing service out, But if I were you, my suggestion si try out Yo's fro stringing, I might be wrong here, but I have been told they are cheaper for stringing.

19. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

HUH? what about troy? there are other coaches there besides him. LOL it's funny how we all come from the same area and know these people names, out here on the internet. Anyhow there is alot of demand for troy's service, if you want him to coach you then you have to be put on a waiting list, that's how many people want him, and this guy coaches all day.

As for the players, are you a member over at lee's cause they have strong players there, and the people are friendly.

Myself I play at a local badminton club in Mississauga, and only go to lee's for training.

20. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Hmm...well I joined the club last year and I would describe myself as an intermediate player. The main problems there is that there aren't that many players (competitive players that is) in the club. The juniors only want to do drills and play between themselves. Occasionally, they'll play against the other members, but only if you're decent and strong enough.

I find that unless I go there with friends, I end up just using their gym facilities in the back. To be honest, their junior players can beat me in singles (since I hate it) but they can't really push me for doubles. When their senior players come and play, such as Kenny/Eddie/Edwin/Calvin/Joesph, I get decent games but they don't show up that often to play.

As for coaching, Troy is the best player in Canada that isn't player in OBA or Nationals. Then there's also Jennifer and the other former HK player. Since I've never received coaching from them, I can't comment on how they are, but from what I've seen, they seem to know their stuff pretty well.

Really, I guess it depends on what you're looking for if you're deciding to play at Lee's. Are you looking for training, playing, or coaching? If playing, what level of play are you expecting? I would classify most members there as OBA C/D class, with the above senior players in the B class. As I said above, unless you're planning to join with a couple of friends, you might be pretty lonely there if you're looking for B players to play against. For coaching and training, then this would be a good choice compared to other private clubs that are around.