Shuttles similar to Yonex AS-50?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by dawei94, Sep 10, 2009.

1. dawei94

dawei94 Regular Member

Student
    I'm looking for some good feather shuttles, similar to AS-40 or AS-50, but at a lower price. Where I live, those cost around USD 30 a tube, which is way too expensive. This is my current list of similar shuttles:

Chao Pai red
    Aeroplane black (i think there's 2 kinds)
    RSL Tourney Classic
    RSL Tourney No. 1

Are these the only comparable ones?
    Also, I've read that the Aeroplanes fly differently from the Yonex ones?
    I'm also confused about the Victor shuttle grades (Green, Blue, Red, Gold, and if there's any difference between Champion no number and Champion No. 1)

2. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    You're asking for the Holy Grail.

If you manage to find a shuttle as good as Yonex Aerosensa 50 then you've done incredibly well. To find one that is also cheaper...that's bordering on a miracle.

Lot's of people will tell you a certain brand is good, and many are, depending on the standard of shuttle you're after.

But the Aerosensa 50 is the Rolls Royce of shuttles in terms of performance. I've tested loads of shuttles as a player and Advanced Coach and in the last 20 years I've yet to find a shuttle as good as Aerosensa 50.

RSL used to be the top shuttle in the world, but sadly their quality is considerably below that of 30 years ago. They are trading on past glories to a degree although they are still good.

Many shuttles these days have mixed bases. Carlton, Ashaway, Wilson etc which in my opinion effects the feel of the shuttle on the racquet. They are still good shuttles but they are not all cork base. And yes, it makes a difference. I coached a beginner and they could tell me which shuttle they hit when I mixed them up and they never got it wrong.

Please keep testing and find out for yourself what you like and don't like. All you will get from this forum and responses (mine included) are other peoples opinions. You really need to make your own mind up. Then, once you have tested all the shuttles you mention, only you can decide whether the Yonex Aerosensa shuttles are worth the extra cost. Personally, I think thye are a bit expensive although they're the best and opt to use Aerosensa 30 or 40.

Hope this helps.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

4. badder

badder Regular Member

Skip RSL #1. It's not even close to AS-50.

RSL Classic is better than #1, but not as good as Aeroplane Black or Chaopai Red.

Aeroplane Black has EG1101 and EG1130, round tip and point tip respectively. Round tip is a little expensive than point tip.

Chaopai Red is as good as Aeroplane Black, but flights a little faster for my hit than Aeroplane Black (both speed 50)

So, for durability, Aeroplane Black and Chaopai Red are on par with AS-50, maybe even better.

For flight stability or feeling, perhaps AS-50 is the best. However, for me, I hardly can tell the difference (or do I care?).

For Victor, the only one that can match these is the Champion #1 (Green). There are other light green which are lower grade. There is a new Victor top grade but perhaps it will be more expensive than AS-50.

#4 badder, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  5. dawei94

dawei94 Regular Member

Student
    Also, what stores sell Chao Pai red?
    I haven't found any, i've only heard that they are good

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I have to agree with Paul on some bits , AS50's are very good quality - but for that price - I would never buy them!

I think you have to try around. Thats what we are currently doing , buying 1 or 2 tubes , from a lot of brands and comparing them ourselves. We can compare , minimum orders , prices and durability (etc)

7. badder

badder Regular Member

I got mine from shuttlecombo.com, currently is out of stock. Don't know any other places carrying Chaopai.

8. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    the yang yang 300b i would say is on par with the as-50

9. tecdecs

tecdecs Regular Member

high schooler
    Chaopai Red definitely not close to AS 50 the feather isnt hard enough and the feeling is different. maybe new Victor Champion ACE will be close or the same as AS 50

10. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

i recently started using Dunlop AF-1. better than the latest victor Champion Green, imo.
    it's no AS-50, but at CDN$22/dozen, it's the next best thing.

11. tecdecs

tecdecs Regular Member

high schooler
    oh really? i heard a lot of good things about this new victor saying its close to AS 50 its the bird they will use at victor sponsored tournaments from now on instead of champion #1. all the new victor champions are all green did u test the victor bird that instead of it saying champion 1, 2, or 3 it says ACE?

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I have a shuttle which I believe to be as good if not better than the Yonex AS-50 (not similar). I will offer a total of 48 shuttlecocks, comprising 12 shuttles with speed 78, and 36 shuttles with speed 77. Only one shuttle for each person will be given out, without charge. If demand exceeds the above qty then the lucky ones will be picked from a straw draw.
    The only thing I ask in return is your frank opinion, irrespective if it is rubbish or something sublime.
    It will take about two weeks as I am in the process of upgrading its quality alittle better.

13. chen0019

chen0019 Regular Member

Can I know the price of the shuttlecocks? Thank you

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The sample inclusive of shipping by air is free. Price is not determined yet but will be related to its performance vs the AS-50 but certainly not higher.

15. aramistuscany

aramistuscany Regular Member

My experience with Victor Champion is not good. Initially the first couple of shots are good but starts to deteriorates rather quickly after that. Fleet Silver is cheaper and performs much better.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Free shuttles??..who wouldn't want to try them??..

Mr. T,
    yes, if you like, please send over the 48 free "shuttles that are as good if not better than the AS-50". I will have 48 different player(s) test them out and grade them. For North American region, speed 78 would be the closest ideal speed here; but we can try speed 77. Maybe 24 shuttles of speed 78 & 24 shuttles of speed 77.

17. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Where would you be testing them? OCBC, ABC, or elsewhere?? :D

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^You'd like to participate??..^^

..i can test them @ ABC, Walnut baddy group, SGVBC, or other places...

Btw, i haven't received any news/confirmation from Mr. T.
    I hope he's serious abt his offer and i hope he believes i'm serious, too..:cool:

19. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    You play at the walnut gym too?? I will probably be there this sat at 5pm to test out my elbow. I usually play at ABC, but injured my elbow (golfer's) so I suspended my membership there for now. :)

Anyway, hopefully Taneepak will send you the shuttles soon ;)

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I hope so..^^

..i think i've seen you play @ ABC before..Brian, right?? play w/left-hand??..:confused:

Off topic:
    I've played & used to frequent @ Walnut gym before, but not as often anymore..:p
    If you'd like you could play & join @ another baddy club in Claremont @ Pomona College (Rains Gym). I usually play there if the semesters are in session. They have an open gym every Saturday from 2 pm til 5 pm, 6 courts. It's supposed to be only for students @ the Claremont Colleges, but guests can still play there for free. The good thing is that it's not crowded. Just bring your own racket and shuttles.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24337&page=2 (see post #21)

#20 ctjcad, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009