User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Footwork - which method is used when?

Ok so we all know footwork is probably _the_ most important thing in badminton.
    My coaches so far (I've only been playing for about 6 years) have always taught me the "shuffle+scissor kick" technique when walking backwards to hit a shuttle in the rearcourt. Their explanation "When you hit like this your body will always have forward rotation, making you shots stronger and making it easier to move back towards your center, you will also end up with your strong "racket foot" in front, making it easier to make a follow-through strong step"

When watching the pro's play, a lot of times I see them using a different technique, where they don't end up with their racket foot in front.

I'm having a bit of difficulty in explaining this exactly, so here is a video (this is not me!) where it is easy to see what I mean;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...YKGMTcb3E#t=72

So what I have always been taught is a combination of 1, the scissor kick and 2, the shuffle. What technique do you guys use? Do you use different techniques for different situations etc?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on the situation. I use the scissor kick mostly when a high clear/lift was played by my opponent because then I have enough time. If it is a flat clear and I'm in position I oftentimes do what he calls "one step jump" to get into an attacking position. The "shuffle, lunge & hit" is better for doing a rescue shot if you got caught flat-footed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actually use the guy's technique and it works like a charm. the shuffle + scissor kick i think is more basic. this one on the video is more advanced and i think is more efficient. as phili said, scissor jump is not always an option especially if the shuttlecock is traveling flat or you're under pressure. the "one step jump" is the way to go in these cases. actually there are a lot of ways to do it. as you play more, you will feel what kind of footwork is best to use in certain situations. i find myself doing a lot of hitches + jump especially on the forehand side when the shuttlecock is hit rather flat as it improves my timing on hitting the shuttlecock.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Ok so we all know footwork is probably _the_ most important thing in badminton.
    My coaches so far (I've only been playing for about 6 years) have always taught me the "shuffle+scissor kick" technique when walking backwards to hit a shuttle in the rearcourt. Their explanation "When you hit like this your body will always have forward rotation, making you shots stronger and making it easier to move back towards your center, you will also end up with your strong "racket foot" in front, making it easier to make a follow-through strong step"

When watching the pro's play, a lot of times I see them using a different technique, where they don't end up with their racket foot in front.

I'm having a bit of difficulty in explaining this exactly, so here is a video (this is not me!) where it is easy to see what I mean;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...YKGMTcb3E#t=72

So what I have always been taught is a combination of 1, the scissor kick and 2, the shuffle. What technique do you guys use? Do you use different techniques for different situations etc?
    In badminton, in the rear forehand corner, you will sometimes use the scissor kick, but most of the time you will use a block jump - where your feet do not switch in the air. This is because it is not usually possible to get behind the shuttle enough to do the scissor kick. I would say that the scissor kick is normally preferable to any other movement - if you have time. However, at higher levels of play, you will have to take shuttles where you have not managed to get properly behind the shuttle, and you will have to take the shot wide of the body (on the forehand side). For these situations, the scissor kick is too awkward, with no real benefit.

Note: in the backhand rear corner, you would always use a scissor kick, unless you used a one step attacking jump.

What your coaches taught you is a little oversimplified, but not incorrect.

Good luck.