User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 22
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question "Hold" the racket correctly - Why so hard ????

    I used to play badminton when I was in high school several years ago, and in there, teacher didn't teach how to hold the racket correctly. Now suddenly when I'd like to play badminton when I see my friend playing , I try it but I realize that I can not play "power" like him, when he hits the shuttlecock - it sounds like "pop" very impressive, his smashing is pretty powerful (not so hard to defend but it's really powerful) when mine is too weak and always hit or under the net.
    I asked him how to..., he ask me show him how I hold the racket, he said I did totally wrong. I do some research in internet and figure out he is right, but it's so hard to hold it correctly, because I always do in wrong way, now change make me very tired, my fingers even blood out but I still can not hold it right. I felt I wrong because my racket "change" when I hit in different positions.
    How difficult you guys hold the racket in initial time playing badminton, is racket must be "fixed" on your hand when you hold during the shots? it these pictures below shows correct of holding racket:



    thanks you guys, I'm newbie , appreciate to hear your suggestions

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It only feels awkward because you're not used to doing it. Once you use the forehand grip more, it just becomes natural. You may hate it at first but when you've been playing a bit longer, you'll realise that it makes sense.

    There isn't much advice I can give you for fixing your grip other than to keep trying and not give up. It'll be tempting to go back to panhandle but you really shouldn't because developing a good forehand grip is important in the long run.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UnKnown
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Don't give up. Try taping your hand to your racket and make sure its the correct grip. I used to hold my racket wrong, but after a while I got used to it. Yes, it was also very hard for me to switch, but its worth it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes: one of the hardest part about badminton is the grip.

    - Not a pro nor coach here but my index finger tends to be a bit more curved than what you have in the picture.

    - I am also not sure whether the grip size is correct for you: you might need to ask someone who plays badminton to check for you

    - if you find it difficult to control, maybe you can try to hold the racket a bit higher up the grip. Once you get more used to it, move it back to give yourself a bit more power.

    Good luck and have fun!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you're having problems with your hand bleeding put a plaster over where is to allow it to heal. It will restrict your hand movement but will stop you changing your grip to avoid pain. You could always not play while it heals but...

    It took me ages to get the correct grip, try and check after every point if your grip is correct. You will find it improves your shots dramatically once you're used to it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bro, am glad that u wanted to try out badminton as it is one of the new sports that is not glamous. Basically, how to hold a racket would be the same as how you shake a person's hand. the thumb must be parallel to shaft of the racket.

    If your hand is bleeding, advice would be changing the grip to a softer one, or having 2x layers of soft grip.
    Another would be that u are holding your racket too tight, just relax and hold naturally. =)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longbodie View Post
    ... these pictures below shows correct of holding racket...
    Did you take those pictures from http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/ ? It's polite to acknowledge where you "borrowed" them from ;-) And the rest of the site is well worth checking out, lots of good advice all round.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    Did you take those pictures from http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/ ? It's polite to acknowledge where you "borrowed" them from ;-) And the rest of the site is well worth checking out, lots of good advice all round.
    Oh yes, my bad, I forgot give the reference link. I will check this site as you suggest.
    Thanks you guys for all advices, I still listen to you guys for more good ideas

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minnesota US
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it will take a lot of time for adjustment but you will be rewarded with a much better smash.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey bro, faster upload a video and show us, then we can understand your doubt better. =x

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA. USA
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Are the fingers supposed to be that far apart?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longbodie View Post
    I used to play badminton when I was in high school several years ago, and in there, teacher didn't teach how to hold the racket correctly. Now suddenly when I'd like to play badminton when I see my friend playing , I try it but I realize that I can not play "power" like him, when he hits the shuttlecock - it sounds like "pop" very impressive, his smashing is pretty powerful (not so hard to defend but it's really powerful) when mine is too weak and always hit or under the net.
    I asked him how to..., he ask me show him how I hold the racket, he said I did totally wrong. I do some research in internet and figure out he is right, but it's so hard to hold it correctly, because I always do in wrong way, now change make me very tired, my fingers even blood out but I still can not hold it right. I felt I wrong because my racket "change" when I hit in different positions.
    How difficult you guys hold the racket in initial time playing badminton, is racket must be "fixed" on your hand when you hold during the shots? it these pictures below shows correct of holding racket:



    thanks you guys, I'm newbie , appreciate to hear your suggestions
    well, u r right but likely doing it wrong.
    these r my opinion.

    starting out with a right grip is good but unlike tennis or squash, badminton gripping is semi hard and semi soft so that proper gripping positioning AND pressure are essential, and both of these changes most of the time. More than often, proper pressure application is left out in coaching. By employing 'one' correct grip throughout many of your playing strokes are also not recommended, and maybe this is causing your problem. Badminton stroke is too dynamic to be fixed in one 'proper' grip. Best is to learn all the proper grip variation and 'float' between them according to requirement.

    the photo attached above is the correct starting position, like when receiving a serve or when preparing a forehand stroke. When the rally start, things can and should change
    Last edited by cooler; 09-19-2009 at 07:44 PM.

  13. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe you should try and go halfway inbetween? Instead of using a panhandle grip for your smashes, use the basic grip slightly adjusted towards panhandle. Personally, I find this works far better than the regular shaking hands grip, and still allows for correct footwork, body rotation, and significant power. Although (by the sounds of it) most people here will disagree, I think it's worth trying out because some people do have success with it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    More of just RELAX!!!!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onthenightrain View Post
    Maybe you should try and go halfway inbetween? Instead of using a panhandle grip for your smashes, use the basic grip slightly adjusted towards panhandle. Personally, I find this works far better than the regular shaking hands grip, and still allows for correct footwork, body rotation, and significant power. Although (by the sounds of it) most people here will disagree, I think it's worth trying out because some people do have success with it.
    yeah, i think that's a good idea. I also one of those who's trying out the correct grip. After been playing for almost a decade using the backhand grip for all shots, now Im trying out the 'proper' grip. And, it's a hell of an experience. My game suffers! It's been almost 6 mths now since I've changed and still trying ...by reading materials on the net and asking pointers.
    I did try with your idea instead of going for the full-blown forehand grip and it helps to adjust to the new grip.
    Last edited by Roxy88; 10-06-2009 at 01:58 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada, BC, GVA
    Posts
    952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Badminton is not just about how hard you can hit, it's about how much power you can generate with a full wiping swing. Since the birdie is very light, brute strength will not sent it flying faster than a ping-pong ball. Holding a racquet right will provide easier generation of power from you swing. If you grip like those old ladies on court, you won't hit hard and you will likely develop bad habits and more serious, injuries. Just ask those with the tennis-elbow.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    4,010
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd definitely recommend reading the article that accompanies those photos. In particular, my page on grip principles is essential for making sense of the pictures.

    That picture shows a relaxed grip, as it would be while waiting for your opponent's shot, and while moving to hit your own shot. As you start to hit the shot, however, the grip will tighten, and the fingers will wrap more firmly around the handle (the gaps will close up somewhat).

    If you're trying to make a big change to your grip, it may be better to spread the changes over time. This is because you need to change your hitting technique and your grip, together. If you only change the grip, then you can expect your shots to get worse.

    But making big changes to your hitting technique is difficult. In particular, it's hard to switch from from flat-hitting to arm rotation all in one leap. Instead, you can gradually introduce arm rotation, while moving your grip gradually closer to the basic grip (the "correct" grip shown above).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The "U", the "G" and the "tension" specifications of a Badminton racket
    By chris-ccc in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 85
    : 07-07-2014, 06:54 AM
  2. Will the racket you hold today be considered "crappy" in the future?
    By February in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 17
    : 01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
  3. Seenking how to hold ur racket correctly...
    By JOJo1226 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 4
    : 03-24-2007, 01:21 AM
  4. Who does "hard" smashes?
    By Smichz in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 4
    : 01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
  5. NEWS: Ningbo to hold "Super Grand Prix"
    By kwun in forum General Forum
    Replies: 8
    : 04-02-2001, 11:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •