"Hold" the racket correctly - Why so hard ????

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by longbodie, Sep 12, 2009.

1. longbodie

longbodie Regular Member

I used to play badminton when I was in high school several years ago, and in there, teacher didn't teach how to hold the racket correctly. Now suddenly when I'd like to play badminton when I see my friend playing :D, I try it but I realize that I can not play "power" like him, when he hits the shuttlecock - it sounds like "pop" very impressive, his smashing is pretty powerful (not so hard to defend but it's really powerful) when mine is too weak and always hit or under the net.
    I asked him how to..., he ask me show him how I hold the racket, he said I did totally wrong. I do some research in internet and figure out he is right, but it's so hard to hold it correctly, because I always do in wrong way, now change make me very tired, my fingers even blood out but I still can not hold it right. I felt I wrong because my racket "change" when I hit in different positions.
    How difficult you guys hold the racket in initial time playing badminton, is racket must be "fixed" on your hand when you hold during the shots? it these pictures below shows correct of holding racket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks you guys, I'm newbie :p , appreciate to hear your suggestions

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    It only feels awkward because you're not used to doing it. Once you use the forehand grip more, it just becomes natural. You may hate it at first but when you've been playing a bit longer, you'll realise that it makes sense.

There isn't much advice I can give you for fixing your grip other than to keep trying and not give up. It'll be tempting to go back to panhandle but you really shouldn't because developing a good forehand grip is important in the long run.

3. Something

Something Regular Member

Don't give up. Try taping your hand to your racket and make sure its the correct grip. I used to hold my racket wrong, but after a while I got used to it. Yes, it was also very hard for me to switch, but its worth it.

4. fristromcan

fristromcan Regular Member

Yes: one of the hardest part about badminton is the grip.

- Not a pro nor coach here but my index finger tends to be a bit more curved than what you have in the picture.

- I am also not sure whether the grip size is correct for you: you might need to ask someone who plays badminton to check for you

- if you find it difficult to control, maybe you can try to hold the racket a bit higher up the grip. Once you get more used to it, move it back to give yourself a bit more power.

Good luck and have fun!

5. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    If you're having problems with your hand bleeding put a plaster over where is to allow it to heal. It will restrict your hand movement but will stop you changing your grip to avoid pain. You could always not play while it heals but... :)

It took me ages to get the correct grip, try and check after every point if your grip is correct. You will find it improves your shots dramatically once you're used to it.

6. passiontea

passiontea Regular Member

Bro, am glad that u wanted to try out badminton as it is one of the new sports that is not glamous. Basically, how to hold a racket would be the same as how you shake a person's hand. the thumb must be parallel to shaft of the racket.

If your hand is bleeding, advice would be changing the grip to a softer one, or having 2x layers of soft grip.
    Another would be that u are holding your racket too tight, just relax and hold naturally. =)

7. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Did you take those pictures from http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/ ? It's polite to acknowledge where you "borrowed" them from ;-) And the rest of the site is well worth checking out, lots of good advice all round.

8. longbodie

longbodie Regular Member

Oh yes, my bad, I forgot give the reference link. I will check this site as you suggest.
    Thanks you guys for all advices, I still listen to you guys for more good ideas :)

9. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    it will take a lot of time for adjustment but you will be rewarded with a much better smash.

10. passiontea

Hey bro, faster upload a video and show us, then we can understand your doubt better. =x

11. kirby3

kirby3 Regular Member

Are the fingers supposed to be that far apart?

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well, u r right but likely doing it wrong.
    these r my opinion.

starting out with a right grip is good but unlike tennis or squash, badminton gripping is semi hard and semi soft so that proper gripping positioning AND pressure are essential, and both of these changes most of the time. More than often, proper pressure application is left out in coaching:D. By employing 'one' correct grip throughout many of your playing strokes are also not recommended, and maybe this is causing your problem. Badminton stroke is too dynamic to be fixed in one 'proper' grip. Best is to learn all the proper grip variation and 'float' between them according to requirement.

the photo attached above is the correct starting position, like when receiving a serve or when preparing a forehand stroke. When the rally start, things can and should change:p

#12 cooler, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  13. onthenightrain

onthenightrain New Member

Maybe you should try and go halfway inbetween? Instead of using a panhandle grip for your smashes, use the basic grip slightly adjusted towards panhandle. Personally, I find this works far better than the regular shaking hands grip, and still allows for correct footwork, body rotation, and significant power. Although (by the sounds of it) most people here will disagree, I think it's worth trying out because some people do have success with it.

14. passiontea

More of just RELAX!!!!

15. Roxy88

Roxy88 Regular Member

yeah, i think that's a good idea. I also one of those who's trying out the correct grip. After been playing for almost a decade using the backhand grip for all shots, now Im trying out the 'proper' grip. And, it's a hell of an experience. My game suffers! It's been almost 6 mths now since I've changed and still trying ...by reading materials on the net and asking pointers.
    I did try with your idea instead of going for the full-blown forehand grip and it helps to adjust to the new grip.

#15 Roxy88, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  16. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Badminton is not just about how hard you can hit, it's about how much power you can generate with a full wiping swing. Since the birdie is very light, brute strength will not sent it flying faster than a ping-pong ball. Holding a racquet right will provide easier generation of power from you swing. If you grip like those old ladies on court, you won't hit hard and you will likely develop bad habits and more serious, injuries. Just ask those with the tennis-elbow.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'd definitely recommend reading the article that accompanies those photos. In particular, my page on grip principles is essential for making sense of the pictures.

That picture shows a relaxed grip, as it would be while waiting for your opponent's shot, and while moving to hit your own shot. As you start to hit the shot, however, the grip will tighten, and the fingers will wrap more firmly around the handle (the gaps will close up somewhat).

If you're trying to make a big change to your grip, it may be better to spread the changes over time. This is because you need to change your hitting technique and your grip, together. If you only change the grip, then you can expect your shots to get worse.

But making big changes to your hitting technique is difficult. In particular, it's hard to switch from from flat-hitting to arm rotation all in one leap. Instead, you can gradually introduce arm rotation, while moving your grip gradually closer to the basic grip (the "correct" grip shown above).

18. Roxy88

Roxy88 Regular Member

Hi Gollum...I notice when I tried to hold the 'correct' grip (as in the link above), Im not too sure about the hitting technique. Do you have any references on that? Thus, usually I will go back to my old ways, with the correct grip and you know what happen to my shots then! :p Thus, I ended up adjusting my grip.... to be more of holding at the 'V' shape instead of slightly towards the 2nd bevel.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I haven't yet written anything on my website about the hitting technique. I will do when I get the time.

Surprisingly, I've not found much useful instruction on this topic -- either on the web or in print. There's some good information on these forums, but you have to sift through a lot of chat before you get to it.

Your best bet is to ask a coach. The next best source of information, for the moment, may be these forums: a search for "pronation" should return some good reading.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I put together a guide to forehand overhead shots. :)

20. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    I have the same situations, I already adopt with panhandle grip in all terms of shot, then I realise it is so important to change to the real grip.You wont go anywhere with the wrong grip! In about 2 days ago, I change my grip to the real basic grip(use to panhandle before), I refer on badmintonbible.com, it is first teaching about relax grip, so when I reading all those guide, I brought my racket to feel/test it, and I do the relax grip everytime I read other article.So I think you must first master the relax grip, Im getting use with the real grip just in one day. But experiece required, try to see the difference between the real grip and the grip that you already adopt with. Also try to use the proper technique. One of the most important thing is, never hold back! I follow my friend's advice and it work. It is just 2 step backward, but in the journey you'll a slightly improvement!