Is there something wrong with how i play badminton?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rlplayer, Sep 12, 2009.

1. rlplayer

rlplayer New Member

Everytime i play with people that 's a little bit better or same skill level as me, whenever the opponent give me a hard shot to hit, there always seems to be a magnet or something because i always aim my next shot at my opponent. Pretend i am at the front of the court and my opponent just lifted the bird up to the end of my court , i would move and do a clear and it will always end up at the middle which is where my opponent is standing at. And they would always smash on me or something which is very annoying.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I suspect your problem is physics.

Objects always bounce off a flat surface back the way they came.
    It's easier to redirect slower shots because the bird is in contact with the strings for longer as you impart angle and force to your return. But when a smash comes in hard and fast it requires more wrist strength and speed to redirect the very quick bounce without sending the bird flying out of court.

(looking forward to the more learned members' remarks.)

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    When you are not capable of returning a shot well (like you struggle to get power, or aren't able to make it there in time), then you have a tendency to just randomly hit the bird to the middle, because you're focussing on hitting the bird, not where you hit the bird.

It's just what happens to all of us when we aren't able to keep up.

4. passiontea

passiontea Regular Member

In my opinion ( it may be wrong!!!).

Your problem may be due to the way of how you hold your racket, and the position of standing. Your racket should always be up, meaning elbow never to drop, always up. 2nd, when your swing your racket, notice how the contact point is facing, is it facing straight or side-ways. To hit straight, all you need to do is to control the direction of your racket. Also, rmb to hit at the highest point of the racket, this is to ensure full lobbing to the base-line.

Now, the position that u should be standing or so to speak is always to be behind the shuttle. When opponet lifts or lob u, always get behind the shuttle. If you can get behin the shuttle, when u whack, it will either 3/4 or base-line, depending on how hard you hit.

I hope reply works, but it is better if some1 who has the correct technique, shows you.
    Cheers

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    In some situations, you're under so much pressure (I believe the BadmintonBible calls it movement pressure) that you can't help but give your opponent an easy sitter. In the situation you describe, I think that your footwork is the issue, you''re simply not able to get to the rearcourt quick enough to be behind the shuttle and able to do something with it. Firstly, fix your footwork and movement by getting an experienced player to look at it or uploading a video of it to YouTube and letting some of us have a look.

If that doesn't fix your problem, the shot you've described is simply too good for you. It happens to everyone reasonably often - no matter how quick you are, no matter how good all of your shots are, your opponent in this particular rally just manipulated you in to a situation you were never going to be able to do anything from. In the situation you describe, if I couldn't get back quickly enough to hit a decent clear, I would try to play a dropshot and neutralise my opponent's attack. Obviously, it's highly probable that they would get to your drop and play a really tight netshot. This would still result in them winning the rally from that shot or putting you in to another very difficult situation. However, there is a chance that they might make an error on the netshot, either missing it in to the net or hitting it with too much net clearance and letting you back in to the rally.

There are likely to be various other times when you will find yourself in a less than favourable position on court but you just have to work with it. OK, it's likely that you won't win the point but give it your best and see what happens. The shots you will generally use in situations like this are defensive clears, high and deep lifts down the middle and dropshots.

#5 Danstevens, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  6. passiontea

passiontea Regular Member

Danstevens is right. Upload a youtube video on how you handle the situation.

Thanks dan for the suggestion. :)

7. rlplayer

rlplayer New Member

Thank you everyone, i will now take the time to read everyone's suggestion. once again thank you