Do we know what we are talking about?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by maxp74, Sep 14, 2009.

1. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    This have been discussed before and this post might not ad a thing... but still...

It’s obvious that 25 lbs isn’t always 25 lbs. It differs between different stringers. Even between good stringers who uses good machines. It seems there are too many variables involved to discuss string tension at a more detailed level.

In recent years I have used three different stringers (depending on where I’m stationed). Two are professional stringers who have high tech machines and string a lot of rackets every day, one is a friend who does a few rackets a month on a drop weight machine. They are all good stringers. The jobs are always top quality. BUT they all come up with different results when it comes to tension. And it’s not a little different. The pro stringers differs 3 lbs. My friend with the drop weight machine falls in between. It’s not a big problem for me since I’ve learned what to ask for by now. (25 lbs from one, 22 from the other and 23 from my friend). Oh, and all of them use two piece non pre stretched yonex bg80 sp.

Heres my point; That’s a lot of variables. And when people here on this forum discuss tension they are almost certainly not discussing the same thing.

I have always wondered why my stringers comes to different results. Maybe you all can give me some insight?

Calibration? Different craftsmanship? Constant pull, or not? What more?

2. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

diff machines, tension heads, clamps, knots, and im geuss not everyone prestrings or pre tension/pulls

3. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    But MAX, how did u measure the tension after the event? for u to ascertain that each was so precisely different. I agree different people, different machines, different parameters. Probably don't come out the same though.

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    yeah,,, i wanna know too...

very interesting how u got to know the exact WEIGHT for the strings!!!

5. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Well, I didn't say it was precise :rolleyes: And that's also part of my point. Too many variables and no one knows really what they are talking about.

As for my prefered tension: I have a number of yonex cab rackets. They give about the same "ping" when I hit the strings (if they are strung whith the same string at the same tension). I can hear and feel when I've got ABOUT the right tension. This is the way it's been done for centuries. I have no idea if my rackets ar strung at 22 or 25 lbs. What my stringers say about pounds is only relative to the other rackets that stringer does. Trial and error has been my method to find out how to ask for the right tension from a specific stringer. NOT just a precise number of pounds.

So when people on this forum says that the perfect tension for a certain string on a certain racket is XX lbs, its... well... not much information really:(

6. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    ??

The weight? :confused: You mean the tension, right? And no, I don't know the exact tension. That's my point! :rolleyes: I only know what the stringer tells me. Ant I can hear and feel the result. So can most badminton players that has some years in the sport.