Strings... still not broken yet

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Oct 26, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Seems like most of you guys replace your strings almost every month! I've use my old Carlton racquet for about 2 years, thats 500 hours of actual play time, and the factory strings are still in perfect condition (except the logo paint's gone.) I can't see even the smallest damage in the stright, the tension is about the same as when I first got it! (I'd guess ~18 lbs, but I have no idea how to measure.) And I play with plastic too! I think I'm hitting pretty hard so that's probably not it. I still get a nice "BOOOOM" when I smash. I throw my racquet around too though it doesn't seem to affect the string. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

In case you're wondering, I want to try some better strings, but don't actually want to cut them...:eek:

2. bigredlemon

BTW, how can you tell if your string is frayed? Mine looks all neat and tidy and everything. Grommets are still perfect.

3. bigredlemon

Here's a picture of the racquet. I have closer shots, but they are all blurred.

Attached Files:

4. bigredlemon

Hmm... i never realized how nice my table looks :D

5. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    old

man.... ur racquet string are old :cool: :D
    but really u sure its in good condition??? (with the paint going off :D)

6. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    Maybe Carlton strings are not that bad at all, my friend also have a Carlton racket for 2 years and the strings are still good. As for the logo, why don't you try coloring it again?

By the way, what Airblade is that?:)

7. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I don't know other people but I restring my racquet because of loss in tension.

If you have a chance to check out other player's racquet, try listening to the sound it makes when hitting the string against the bottom of your palm and compare that ring to your own racquet.

The higher the tone the tighter the string. Check and see if your string is soft.

Even when a string is frayed, as long as it is not broken it is still playable, IMHO.

Ben

8. bigredlemon

Yep its an airblade with the wide-body head. My other racquet is a slim head, which is about HALF as tall, top to bottom. Looks weird together. As for coloring it... I think the cracked paint adds personality (Has nothing to do with my laziness at all :D)

It's an AB Power. Only $30, Lots of power but slooow. I once accidentally hit someone in the head and knocked them over :eek: maybe they were just off-balance though.

TourSp: Yep the strings look great. The coating over the string's still all there, shining back at me :cool:

9. bigredlemon

The tension is same as when i got it. If I press down on the string bed, it barely moves at all. How can you tell when the string is too loose? Just from how it responds while playing, or do you hang weights on it or something?

Or just from the sound after a smash? BK racquet, at 24 lb i think, makes a nice "BOING" sound, instead of the Calrton's "BOOOM".

#9 bigredlemon, Oct 26, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2002
  10. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    The higher tension, the easier for the string break.

I string my racket at 25lbs, and it would be broken around 6-8 hours playing time. I have a friend string at 29lbs, the string only can support 4-6 hours playing time.

18lbs is really a low tension, I suggest you to replace your string at higher tension, then you will find the joy of higher tension.

11. modious

modious Regular Member

Indeed. No offence but if you have not been changing strings, my guess is that you're not playing that much or that well. And as benfolk mentioned, pple change strings when there's a loss in tension, strings break, or when it feels dead (Byron will know this. :) ).

For 2 years?? The strings will have already hardened and it should feel dead when playing with it.

12. bigredlemon

None taken. I was too much of a newbie (equipment-wise) to know what good strings feel like. About the feeling dead part... you mean now i have another excuse for why I lost the games? :D

I don't use that racquet anymore though so no point in replacing the strings. My new racquet however... after how many hours do you think i'd need to replace them? I'm using asahaway rally 21, and the reviews say about 6 months. Can't wait to get some bg80s on there.

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Well you can change your strings whenever you feel like doing so, so as long as your wallet agrees with you. :D People would change strings when they no longer get the right "feel" for the string, as in maybe a change in repulsion, control, power, etc...

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it really depends on what kinda string they defaultly use on their racket. I know Winex use BG-65 as some models' string, which is of course can't be bad.

On the other hand, Prokennex has very good rackets, but they use suck string as default, which bring up a lot of critizm...

15. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    So what is the factory string they use on that racquet bigredlemon?

16. bigredlemon

I have no idea whats on the carlton. It's a cheap racquet so i'm not expecting miracles. It's not the cheap fishing line stuff obviously, but all strings looks the same to me. It's a multifilament string in a cross-hatch pattern, and is 30% thicker than the rally 21 on my BK racquet. I guess that's why its so durable.

BTW, the logo paint for my new racquet is almost completely gone now, with a few spots of paint here and there. Oddly enough, after a few racquet clashes, my frame didn't lose any paint, but has GAINED paint from their racquets :D !!

17. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    should change the subject of this thread to "strings...still not broken yet, and racquet...repaint itself" :D . Seems like an amazing racquet you got there.

18. bigredlemon

LOL! :D Thx jwu

i thought I almost broke it today, when I fell on it. (slipped while doing a smash.) A piece of paint did come off, exposing beige plastic with what appears to be the Ti mesh. :( It doesn't look bad but it can't be too good either.

I actually ended up sitting on the head while still holding the racquet, and yet it didn't break. Speaks for the quality of BK racquets I think.

#18 bigredlemon, Oct 27, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2002
  19. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

that reminds me, back when I was 10 yrs old, I used a yonex racket given by my dad, strung at 24 lbs and I used it for almost 4 yrs and yet the string never broke. Back then I played at least 3 hours a week during sch days and even more during holidays. Wierd huh? :D

20. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Well you gotta remember that string life is also relative to the power you put into your every shot. Back when you were 10, I doubt you'd be putting as much power into your shots as you would now. It's like watching my cousin play, all shots go up instead of down... and they dont go too far... no boom sound when rallying, well... u get the idea