Patellar Tendinitis aka Jumper's Knee

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Joseph, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'm not too happy about it, my right knee is starting to show symptoms of this. Area just below the patella near the top of the tibia is sensitive. Anyone familiar with exercises or stretches for this?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm recovering from a jumpersknee myself, it's a pretty long process.

I'm quite tall and have rather thin legs, so I had to little leg strength for the big steps I took on court. For me the trick was a lot of strengthening and coordination (a balance board and stuff)
    If you're already quite big guy, or have done a lot of this stuff before, you might have other problems, but this is what worked for me.

The best you can do is rest, ice it when it hurts and more importantly: consult a physician!

3. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I actually don't play too much and have lost a lot of muscle in my right leg. This is a new thing for me and just started happening tonight. Though I did have something similar on my left knee and they did surgery on it to smoothen out whatever.

4. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    i think i currently have this problem too. Its been about a month now. The best way is to treat it over a period of time. Ice it before and after practice, do light exercises, biking, pretty much find a way to build up your quads so you can relieve more pressure off your knee. If it hurts during play time, buy one of those jumper's knee straps. I am buying one today and will let you know how it goes, though i do not really suffer through too much pain really.

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    just a tip....never ice anything before playing or training. not only does it take longer for your muscles to warm up for full mobility but it also tightens/seizes up your joint.

icing after training ofcourse will help with the inflamation of the tendon or troubled area but never ever ever ice before you train or workout.

6. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    sorry i should have been more clear. Icing should be done a couple hours before practice.

7. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    alright so today i had a go with the Jumper's Knee strap. At first i didn't think it was going to make much of a difference but it helped alot actually. It relieved alot of the pain while playing. After playing it was a little sore but for not too long. Iced it when i got home and it feels all good now =).

P.s. if you're going to ice, do it with your knee bent close to your chest.

8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

another thing you may want to think about is to wear shoes with high cushioning and good insole like superfeet.

9. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    that too. I wear the Superfeet green and it works wonders =)