Clicking sound in left knee and right elbow.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by justinwyyau, Sep 15, 2009.

1. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Hi all,

I am experiencing daily clicking sounds in my left knee and right elbow. And it happens throughout the day, mostly in the left knee and not so much in the right elbow unless I do a 'punching' motion. There is no pain whatsoever though whenever this happens. I am right handed, if that has any connection.

I am only 28 this year and regularly play about 2-3 times a week and lately have been supplementing my diet with 3,000 mg of glucosamine, 1,500 of chrondroitin, 1,000 mg of calcium, 6-9 capsules of fish oil, 1,000 mg of vitamin C and a capsule of multi-vitamin.

I have stopped playing badminton for almost a week now. Is this arthritis? Who would be the best person to see? An orthopaedist?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Justin

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

1) See a physiotherapist to start.
    May require nothing more than a little muscle rebalancing
    (eg. toning lateral and medial quadriceps muscles equally)
    But of course, you can't know that it isn't more serious until you see someone.

2) I strangely admire all those young fit people who have the discipline to take so many pills per day. Are you sure you really need to be spending all that money? The pills certainly are not going to stop your clicking.

Good luck.

3. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Thanks, I will. Will set an appointment this Friday to see a physio or orthopaedist.

Pills or no pills, at least it is something :)

Justin.

4. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

From time to time I also take OSTEO-Bi-Flex glucosamine and chondroitin AND Comvita Royal Jelly 1,000 mg.

The glucosamine and chondroitin caps I take for about a week "on" and a week "off", reason being, I am trying to avoid too much sodium. Depending on the brand of glucosamine/chondroitin you take, some contains more sodium than the others...now, high sodium may result in water retention specialy in your knees' or elbows' tendon ligaments which produces thoses clicking sound--well yes, the fluids build-up 'may' result in that clicking sound.

However, I do confess that I felt better taking the glucosamine/chondroitin caps than when I wasn't taking them before, cos before I felt that my joints just couldn't hold on, now I'm much much better. I mountain climb on a bike, play tons of tennis (depending, but averages 5 times a week) and badminton (less though, only once a week or even once bi-weekly, reason being, my pals plays tennis, pingpong and snooker or billiards more than they play baddie).

...so sodium and water retention...

5. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Wow, something new. I will definitely look into this matter. Thanks for the info! :)

Justin.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

With due respect, the amount of sodium you get in a few tablets of medicine is not going to cause florid pulmonary edema, nor swell your knees unless you've got a kidney problem.

Sodium intake comes mostly from food and drink......that is the area to investigate. Salt ain't just in the shaker. Read some labels on your peanut butter and gatorade. As was posted in my college analytical chemistry lab: Sodium is ubiquitous!

7. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Thank you too :)

Justin.

8. MetalOrange

not to be redundant and all...common sense tells us to consider our daily food intake, of course! everything adds up including that daily cap of glu/chon.

water retention, fluid build-up and clicking sound are not really distant cousins...

9. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

What kind if clicking is it? When does it happen? Is it a sound like when you crack your knuckles? Or is it when you flex your arm, persay, and you feel a kind of like muscle slipping?

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

At least it's not the same sound I hear in my knee. Crunching sounds. :crying:

11. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Hi Neutronist,

The clicking sound is similar to the sound when you crack your knuckles. It happens mostly in the latter parts of the day (late arvo, evening) and usually after accumulating a distance in walking. I have never had any injuries to my knees before, only perhaps slight bruising when going to ground to reach those shots.

No pain though, but yesterday while walking the malls, it just felt a bit uncomfortable and slightly discomforting in the evening. Maybe it is because I am paying more attention to my knees to notice this. The clicking sound happens only in my left knee (daily) and sometimes in my right elbow when I do a 'punching' motion (the sound only comes when I 'punch').

Plan to see an orthopaedist tomorrow to get it checked out.

Justin.

12. MetalOrange

Hi Justin, how did it went? I mean your consult w an orthoaedist or physical therapist?

13. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

14. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    After getting a referral from a second GP (the first refused), I went to a orthopaedist and got it checked up. He said that I am experiencing lateral plica, and it is more noticeable in my left knee than my right.

He said there is nothing to be worried about and I should work to build up the muscles in my knees. However, there are cases where the tissue gets inflamed and gets larger and may require further attention (i.e. surgery).

So I guess I have to start doing pistol squats and more lower body work now on then. I will monitor my condition and get back to him if it doesn't improve or I have further doubts.

Justin.

15. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Build strong gluteal and abdominal muscles to help with your leg muscles. And build strong quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles to help your back. Slow compound movements are better than others to build muscle. If you doing lunges or squats, don't let your knee bend to an angle less than 90degrees.

I have had clicking in both my knees as long as I can remember. yes, clicking by itself does not mean anything wrong. It is just embarrassing when you sit down to pick up something in public and you get up with a clicking sound in your knees.