WC will return to biyearly tournament and BWF will hold grand slam (in Chinese)

Discussion in '2009 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

世錦賽調回2年1屆‧世界羽聯擬辦4大滿貫

(中國‧常州)世界羽聯署理會長派山透露,世界羽聯有意效仿網球的規則,在超級系列級賽內推選更高級別的4大滿貫,而世界錦標賽也將在倫敦奧運會之後改為2年1屆。

目前人在常州出席中國羽球大師賽的派山,向中國媒體透露上述消息。

全英賽是候選滿貫賽會

自從去年的北京奧運會之後,中國選手的世界排名都有些下降,派山認為這是因為中國選手參賽的次數相對較少,所以排名下降也是可以理解的。

“因為我們有很多比賽,他們比賽參加的少,積分自然都會少,這都是按照世界羽聯的積分規則來決定的。”

中國的世錦賽3連冠得主林丹,之前也質疑世界羽聯的積分規則有問題,自己在超級系列賽的成績很好,但積分卻依然持續下滑。

派山指出,目前世界羽聯正在醞釀一項重大改革,也計劃對積分規則進行調整。“世界羽聯考慮從現有的12站超級系列賽裡挑選出更具影響力的幾站比賽,打造類似網球的4大滿貫賽事,它們的規格將在其他系列賽之上。”通過優化參賽條件、場館規模和提高獎金等,以吸引更多高水平的選手參與其中。而在名單上,有“小世錦賽”之稱的全英公開賽將是4大滿貫的其中1個候選賽事。

此外,世界羽聯自2005年把世錦賽改為1年1屆,此舉也遭到各方的評論,輿論普通認為世錦賽1年1屆不僅降低了比賽的激烈程度,也難以帶動參賽選手的熱情。對此,派山也透露目前世界羽聯已經有了新計劃。

“選手們確實也對每年都有的世錦賽感到乏味了,但想要恢復為過去的2年1屆至少還要等到2012年倫敦奧運會之後,因為這3年已經確認了,賽期已經改變不了了。”

#1 cxytdn, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

can u please translate it?

3. majyun

majyun Regular Member

I will try to give a summary of what this article is all about with the limited English written skill I have.

Main points from the article:

BWF intended to imitate the current grand slam events which is currently being adopt in Tennis. What BWF have in mind is to upgrade 4(in terms of size of tournaments, competition rules, facility and its prize money) out of its current 12 super series events, so that those 4 tournaments become one class above the remaining super series events . This is made so that these 4 tournaments will become the equivalent of grand slam events in the competitive tennis circuit. The proposed 4 grand slam equivalent tournaments will include the All England Championship.

The ranking of Chinese players have been declining ever since the Olympic game in Beijing. Officer from BWF thinks that this is a direct result from their lack of participation in international tournaments and is not something that is out of expectation.

Even the 3 times World Champion, Lin Dan, questioned the current BWF World Ranking system because his ranking have been dropping even though he did well in all the major tournaments.

Paisan(? Have no idea what his english name is?) revealed that major changes will be made to the calculations of BWF World Ranking system. This can be done by upgrading 4 out of its current Super Series tournaments into the Grand Slam equivalent of Tennis.

In addition, the act of BWF of turning the World championship into an annual event since year 2005 has received a lot of criticisms from the public. The common consensus is the act of turning BWF world championship into an annual event has greatly decrease the excitement of the tournament. This has indirectly dilute the public and players' interest on World championship.

Paisan said that the audience and players are getting bored of the yearly World Championship and BWF have decided to revert the event back into a biyearly event after the 2012 Olmypic games in London. This is because the preparation work and schedule for the next 3 years of World Championship events have been set and is therefore a wiser choice to change the tournament system after year 2012.

Sorry if part of it doesn't make sense as English isn't my first language.

#3 majyun, Sep 15, 2009
  4. george@chongwei

thanks for the translation, majyun:)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks. Pretty good translation!

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

His english name is..

..yes, Paisan Rangsikitpho of USA (from Thailand) ;)
    http://internationalbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=11197
    He's currently the BWF Chairperson in the Events Committee (scheduling and planning the logistical aspect).
    * Btw, thanks for doing the translation.

Some questions to ponder:
    - It should be interesting to see which other 3 tourneys will be included as Grand Slam events? Will the same tourneys stay the same yearly or will they change every yr (most likely the AE will be the one constant)?
    - If they're going to increase the prize money for those 4 Grand Slam events, i wonder if it'll reach the $1 million mark?
    - When will they actually start this Grand Slams format? Before or after the 2012 OG??

#6 ctjcad, Sep 15, 2009
  7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Japan/Malaysia, Denmark, China? All England was struggling to even cough up $200,000 I believe. How will they put up $1,000,000 :D.

Good to hear at least the worlds will be every other year again.

8. george@chongwei

BWF looking at four Grand Slams to raise status of Super Series

By CHOW HOW BAN

CHANGZHOU: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) are considering the introduction of four Grand Slam tournaments, just like in tennis, to elevate the status of their Super Series circuit.
    Their deputy president, Paisan Rangsikitpho, said yesterday that the four Grand Slams would come from among the 12 Super Series tournaments but they would offer bigger prize money.
    He added that the All-England would be one of those tournaments to be considered for inclusion as a Grand Slam event.
    Paisan also said that they might revert the world championships, which are now held annually except in the Olympic year, to a biennial affair.
    “Many member countries have expressed their opinion that the players lack the motivation to play in the championships under the current format,” he said.
    “But we cannot change that until the next Olympic Games in London (in 2012).
    “The job to host the 2010 and 2011 championships had already been awarded to Paris and London.”

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/9/16/sports/4722170&sec=sports

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Finally WC back to old format, biennial event. Possibly it would start on 2013. And who will host 4 Badminton Grand Slam? I believe All England is included since this tournament has high reputation.

10. george@chongwei

yes, ae will be included. 3 more still yet to be announced,

11. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I believe the changes are for the better. I like the idea of the 4 grandslams.

I believe it would be good , to keep the 4 changing? Perhaps keeping the All England constant and the other 3 revolving?

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I too agreed to this change and that All England be permanent and to rotate the other 3 to keep up the interest evenly.

13. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Hi, you guys are welcome.

I think making the Yonex 100th All England Championship in year 2010 as the first grand slam tournament in badminton will be a good start. Besides, I think they should focus on making the first grand slam event(the AE) a success before worrying about the remaining 3 grand slam tournaments. If they tried to mimic the grand slam event in Tennis, the 4 equivalent grand slam events will most likely be held annually.

I serious doubt that the prize money will be above $1 million mark(at least not in the coming few years) seeing badminton is still not a famous sport like tennis and golf.. Rising the prize money to be as much as the super series final ($US 500,000) will already be a good start. Another thing is, I automatic assumed that the super series final will be discontinued should BWF go on with their grand slam plan.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- what do you mean by "they should focus on making the first grand slam event(the AE) a success"?? in what way?? prize-money??:confused:
    - isn't their plan going to have those 4 grand slams held annually? if not, is the plan going to be holding 1 grand slam tourney yearly??:confused:

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The 4 likely Grand Slams:
    All England -- Prestige
    1 South East Asia -- perhaps Malaysia
    1 North Asia -- likely to be Japan
    1 Europe -- Denmark

Arrangements of Slams:
    January -- Malaysia (after Korea maybe??)
    March -- AE (after Swiss maybe??)
    September -- Japan (after China Masters maybe??)
    October -- Denmark (after French maybe??)

compared to Tennis:
    January -- Australia
    May -- French
    June -- Wimbledon
    August -- US

16. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    whewww... NO CHINA ???????
    i think CHINA are better than Malaysia to held grand slam:
    1. Best badminton Country
    2. Population and Marketing
    3. Achievement of the players
    4. They also had Verry good Facilities,,with international standart,,,

that's why i think CHINA are better than Malaysia to held Grand Slam

17. sting1988

sting1988 Regular Member

School
    I wish it could be AE, China Open, Korea or Indo open, and Denmark Open. It's good for broadcasting stations and audiences.

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Until KOR and CHN resolve their patriotic line judge issues, they should NEVER be considered for a grand slam event. Frankly, it would be an embarrassment to the BWF. That said, the BWF have shot themselves in the foot how many times :cool:?

Badmania's geographic breakdown makes the most sense:
    1) All England - enough said
    2) SE Asia - INA or MAS (the traditional powerhouses of the region with strong badminton heritage)
    3) North Asia - JPN (KOR and CHN eliminated for the above reasons)
    4) Europe - DEN (great badminton tradition)

But ... and a big but (no, I'm not talking about Serena :p;)) ... the prize money has to be commensurate with the prestige of these 4 events. I'm thinking a minimum of US$400,000 for them initially. Realistic?

19. press100

press100 Regular Member

Science Officer
    Agree on this one...

20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Hypothetical BWF calendar...

Yes agree! World Championship should revert back to being an event held every 2 years! :cool:

BWF tournaments in 2011 onwards [in my opinion]:
    1. All England; the historical prestige!
    2. INA Open; the best badminton crowd!
    3. CHN Open; probably the most difficult place to win for non-Chinese competitors!
    4. US Open; in order for the overall badminton business to grow, a deliberate attempt to have one Grand Slam in the USA is a strategic move.
    Prize money: minimum $500,000...

The remaining Super Series:
    1. India SS
    2. Malaysia SS
    3. Korea SS
    4. Japan SS
    5. Denmark SS
    6. Russia SS
    7. France SS
    8. Brazil SS
    Prize money: minimum $350,000...

Gold GP: