User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default any tips for serving short in singles?

Hi, how do i serve short in singles and avoid having the birdie hit flat and to the backhand corner behind me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logicalguy View Post
    Hi, how do i serve short in singles and avoid having the birdie hit flat and to the backhand corner behind me?
    Technically, it's not possible to prevent that. You can mitigate the effect of the flat push by not serving (short) to your backhand side of his court (i.e. do not serve to his extreme right if you are a right hander). Anyway, be prepared to cover pushes to either side by not standing too near the service line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your low serve is good and you stand at the right spot, you should not have too much trouble reaching the third shot: don't forget that your opponent cannot put as much pressure on your low serve as he can in doubles. If he is standing too close at the front, flick it over his head.

And remember to do your split step after you serve (make sure you land your split step near the center of the court, or in front of your opponent; don't stay on the same spot where you just served): if your serve is good, I suggest you keep your racket foot forward and get ready to move to cover any reply.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to practice jumping side to side and intercepting those shots. Having your racquet up immediately after you serve helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont use a short hand grip for serving short in singles. stand back a bit and make sure ur flick serve and short serve look exactly the same right till that last hitting moment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also have that problem. the best way for me personally is to serve with my forehand (whether long or short). i feel it can be more deceptive.
    Chen Hong serves using his forehand too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah thanks for your replies, it all makes sense. I've been watching some videos online and I've noticed very few returns to the short serve get pushed to the rear backhand corner. I wonder why...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logicalguy View Post
    I've noticed very few returns to the short serve get pushed to the rear backhand corner.
    my guess is that at the top level, players are always trying to get on the attack (i.e. force opponent to lift). so instead of them lifting, they would play a shot that would make their opponent lift.

also, many top players are fast enough to counter any drives off the serve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is difficult to make forehand low and high serve look the same and be consistently in. Do you master that? How?

Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post
    i also have that problem. the best way for me personally is to serve with my forehand (whether long or short). i feel it can be more deceptive.
    Chen Hong serves using his forehand too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mettayogi View Post
    It is difficult to make forehand low and high serve look the same and be consistently in. Do you master that? How?
    i use quite a huge swing for both, with the short serve being a slice. usually my opponents will start moving backwards and will have to change their momentum to return the short serve. it does not work every single time but it's better than getting attacked on the short serve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when the opponet pushes to your backhand low, try to intecept instead of moving backwards.

As he will be quite close to the net by this time, try doing a flat push (straight) or a relatively flat lift (to his backhand), which are quite effective.

One thing is do not get deceived by his arm movements, as most players only need a flick to push.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use quite a huge swing for both, with the short serve being a slice. usually my opponents will start moving backwards and will have to change their momentum to return the short serve. it does not work every single time but it's better than getting attacked on the short serve.
    Many skills you acquire while playing with law quality players can work against you later when you play with an advanced player. Singles low serve and high serve are entirely different technique and a mild discrepancy will be cashed in by an advanced player. See how NMT attacks! Even the best high serves are smashed hard and any lapse-u r dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nprince View Post
    Many skills you acquire while playing with law quality players can work against you later when you play with an advanced player
    point taken. but no, they are not law/low quality players. in fact, some of them are better than me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

point taken. but no, they are not law/low quality players. in fact, some of them are better than me.
    Good-Just warned you because I had all wrong fancy shots untill I started palying with professionals (15 years back)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u think u are fast enough to go back to your back position weither backhand or forehand, u can always do this short serve,