User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 25
  1. #1
    Regular Member blindfury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Is it legal to have racket crossed over and Under the net?

    Is it legal to have racket crossed over and underneath the net? for example, retrieving a very tight netshot rolled over top of the tape, the racket goes over under the net a bit.

    this occured to me in a single's game few days ago, no bragging intended, i managed to net roll back his net roll, he is a cocky player, does not apologize for net rolls and instead, he usually giggles and gives the opponent a very, very cocky smiling.

    at first he was going to do his routine of cockiness, but after i rolled it back, he instantly yelled out "ooooh!! illegal!!!"

    anyone familiar with this legal status?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you do it on the follow through, over the top, it's legal. As for the bottom, I pretty sure it's legal. As long as the shot was made on your side of the net, what happens to the racquet afterwards doesn't actually matter. Since by definition your shot was on your side of the net, it's not illegal. Smack him with your racquet to prove it

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eunos (Singapore)
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If contact point between the racquet and shuttle was before the other side of the net, it is legal. In this instance, the rules allow for intrusion of the racquet into the other court after contact point.
    It is illegal if the player played his racquet to intrude overhead into the other court in order to impact the shuttle.
    Maybe you were seen to have touched the net with your racquet while doing so. Any touching the net at any time of play, except for the shuttle, is illegal.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SF/BayArea, California, USA
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i say when retrieving those tumbling net drops.. make a drop or net shot back.. and as the guy comes up to the net to kill it.. u go under the net and whack him real fast...(if there's an umpire.. extra fast).

    u may lose the point for illegality, but it sure will make him want to be cockier and hopefully throw off his game :P


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cannock, UK
    Posts
    2,908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Law 13.4.3
    It shall be a fault, if, in play, a player invades an opponent's court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is obstructed or distracted;


    so in theory the shot in question could be legal, but it would appear that it distracted the opponent enough to make him shout about it - therefore a fault



    but if he'd known it was "legal" it shouldn't have distracted him, so his lack of knowledge of the rules wins him the point

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls View Post
    Law 13.4.3
    It shall be a fault, if, in play, a player invades an opponent's court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is obstructed or distracted;


    so in theory the shot in question could be legal, but it would appear that it distracted the opponent enough to make him shout about it - therefore a fault



    but if he'd known it was "legal" it shouldn't have distracted him, so his lack of knowledge of the rules wins him the point
    I like you logic. Winning on stupidity...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cheras
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i used to play double, occation saw opponent hint a net shot and the racket touch the net after the shoot... a few time i was looking at my partner... he dont seem said it was fault..

    i wonder is the racket allow to touch to net after a shot had make?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^ anything touching the net other than the birdie is a fault.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No. It's a fault for a racket to touch the net while the shuttle is still in play.

    Quote Originally Posted by micky78 View Post
    i used to play double, occation saw opponent hint a net shot and the racket touch the net after the shoot... a few time i was looking at my partner... he dont seem said it was fault..

    i wonder is the racket allow to touch to net after a shot had make?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if i smash down the birdie,the birdie hit the court before i hit the net,fault?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    1,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    if i smash down the birdie,the birdie hit the court before i hit the net,fault?
    should not be a fault, because once the birdie touches the ground, play is over.

    Though i would try counting on the birdie to hit the court before your racket hits the net.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by singnflip4life View Post
    should not be a fault, because once the birdie touches the ground, play is over.

    Though i would try counting on the birdie to hit the court before your racket hits the net.
    no way the birdie is slower than ur racket when u smashed it,right?
    my hand cant swing the racket 200km/h++

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    no way the birdie is slower than ur racket when u smashed it,right?
    my hand cant swing the racket 200km/h++


    Not sure if there is a rule about hitting the net after the bird has touched the net, but I think it's more reasonable if your racket touch the net on the same swing(follow thru) it's should be a fault. My reason being it's will prevent players taking a big wack at the net hoping the bird to go over and potentially putting their oppnents at risk to injuries (hit in the head)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Distanc3 View Post
    Not sure if there is a rule about hitting the net after the bird has touched the net, but I think it's more reasonable if your racket touch the net on the same swing(follow thru) it's should be a fault. My reason being it's will prevent players taking a big wack at the net hoping the bird to go over and potentially putting their oppnents at risk to injuries (hit in the head)
    i believe the move u describe call tap right?
    i mean smash,i didnt jump,but still a smash,not tap.

    and not,birdie hit the court,not net
    Last edited by limsy; 09-20-2009 at 03:19 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    1,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well, it depends on the distance the birdie has to travel vs the distance the racket has to travel. say the racket has half the speed, but the birdie has to travel more than twice the distance. At that point, the racket will get to the net before the birdie his the floor.

    Though Distanc3 makes an interesting arguement.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    manila
    Posts
    1,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls View Post
    Law 13.4.3
    It shall be a fault, if, in play, a player invades an opponent's court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is obstructed or distracted;


    so in theory the shot in question could be legal, but it would appear that it distracted the opponent enough to make him shout about it - therefore a fault



    but if he'd known it was "legal" it shouldn't have distracted him, so his lack of knowledge of the rules wins him the point
    Wow! I guess this answers my question here
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...&highlight=net

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i also need a clarification on this rule as well. i was told or read some where that when the shuttle hits the floor or the net the point is over. therefore the racket touching the net will not be counted as a fault.

    example, when your opponent tries a backcourt drop shot and as you approach the net to lift, on your up swing your racket touch the net. but the shuttle did not clear the net and was hit into the net first before your racket hits the net. this is not a fault because once the shuttle hits the net, the point is over. correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. is this legal? changing racket DURING a rally?
    By Capnx in forum General Forum
    Replies: 19
    : 07-14-2009, 01:02 AM
  2. is it legal
    By saifii in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 13
    : 05-04-2008, 11:06 PM
  3. legal or not
    By fifteen luv in forum General Forum
    Replies: 10
    : 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    : 03-16-2005, 05:30 PM
  5. Legal Length Of a Racket
    By JChen99 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 28
    : 03-26-2003, 05:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •