Sotx Woven 7, Sotx Woven 8, Sotx Woven 9 Compared to Yonex Models

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by gyucism, Sep 17, 2009.

1. gyucism

gyucism Regular Member

Programmer
    Anyone who has used: Sotx Woven 7, Sotx Woven 8, or Sotx Woven 9 ...

If you had to compare these to a yonex racket, which racket would you say it was closest to and what are your opinions?

Please advise...

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I've tried the Woven 7 and it's not like any Yonex racquet. It's heavy overall, but not extremely head heavy, only slightly. It packs a huge punch and feels extremely solid. The AT's aren't nearly as solid or balanced, the MP99 not as solid either.

It's almost like a NS9000S with a stiffer shaft, much more solid feel, huge power, and like 5g heavier.

3. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    woven7 as i've read resembles the first generation Yonex ti10. i have one woven7 and 3 ti10 first gens. Woven7 is comparably heavier but the rest seems quite similar.

4. gyucism

gyucism Regular Member

Programmer
    Any thoughts on the 8 and 9?

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    According to many review, the Woven 8 is said to be a lighter version of the MP99ish....even balanced, well suited to offense and defense alike.

6. delmonk

delmonk Regular Member

software engineer
    I own all 3. I used to have a Yonex AT900T and I would say that my Woven 9 plays the closest to it. It is also my racket of choice.
    Woven 8 lacks power for backhand clear (not head heavy), and woven 7 lacks touch for those tight net shots (too heavy overall).

7. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    SOTX 7i

Sorry for been a bit off topic.
    How about Woven 7i, been lighter than Woven 7, compares to the rest 7,8and 9

8. gyucism

gyucism Regular Member

Programmer
    I am a bigger guy, pretty strong already, sounds like woven 9 is a good way to go?

9. Erique

Erique Regular Member

I have both Woven 7 and Woven 9. Woven 7 is heavier than W9, but W9 is head heavier than W7. Woven 7 is similar with Ti 10, but it gives more power due to it's heavier weight.

#9 Erique, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  10. delmonk

delmonk Regular Member

software engineer
    Depends on whether you play singles or doubles and your playstyle. A heavier racket is probably better for singles since people do play clears.
    If you play a rear court attacking game (and have a partner who can set you up in front) then a W7 would be a good choice.
    If you play a fast paced, drive based game then the w8 would be more suitable.
    I like to set up my partner with net shots in front and play an attacking game from the rear court, so W9 is ideal for me.

11. rabboni99

rabboni99 Regular Member

sorry to hijack..
    but can someone compare sotx woven 5,6 and 8 for me in terms of head heaviness?
    thanks.

12. okieoutie

okieoutie Regular Member

IT
    i have the sotx woven 9. It is slightly head heavy and light so it's ok on offence and excellent on defense. but the touch of the Woven 9 may not be for everyone. You should see if you can find one to test with.

13. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Ive used all of these rackets, but not so many yonex, but ill give this a try w9 I think is closest to a 3U at900 technique. its head heavy and stiff but still packs a good punch. the w8, I cant really say, maybe nano speed series, 9000, 9900 or 7700. Its a super even balanced racket that doesnt enhance or compliment a players smash or defense, but rather it puts out everything you put in. the w7 I think is much like a 2U Ti10 original, or possibly at900 power, but i think thats not as accurate. It takes some more muscle to generate swing speed, but it packs a big punch. Very offensive and mediocre defense, good for singles.

I disagree that the w8 is like the mp99, as the mp is much more head heavy

Distance, do you use the 2U or 3U ti10?

14. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    ^ i have 3Us ti10

edit***
    although i've tried the 2U before but i must honestly admit it is NOT HEADY HEAVIER its rather heavier in overall weight.

but i've tried my friends w7 and it does feel more balanced than head heavy but its overall weight is heavier than my 3Uti10s

#14 Distanc3, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. cfyung85

cfyung85 Regular Member

Student
    i recently ordered some wovens (6, 7, 8 ,9) from ibuysports.com to test it out. I've always been using just a yonex AT600 pre-strung with bg85 @25 lb, but i kinda gotten bored with it.

so far only the woven 8 have arrived pre-strung with sotx ti-65 @ 25lb. i've been reading some post about it being even balance but the moment i swing with it, it almost feels like my AT600 which is slightly more head heavy. smash power is adequate, the mid flex shaft really give some extra kick (since i'm not a super hard hitter), and the racket is responsive and easy to maneuver for defensive play.

the only thing i dislike about it is the vibration. the moment you hit the birdie, you can feel the vibration travelling down your forearm which is almost absent in AT600 (guess the solid feel core do have a purpose).

otherwise, i would say the woven 8 is really worth for those who doesn't want to pay more for higher end yonex racket. i'll be waiting for other wovens to arrive.

16. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Sorry to hear that you have vibration issue with Woven 8. I've had a couple of Woven 8a and they never gave me that feeling.

17. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

maybe it is a string issue? which strings were you using before?

18. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

also, maybe you are not hitting on the "sweetspot" of your new racket. SO maybe you need a bit of time to adapt.

19. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Vibration is not that bad if you are used to it, kind of gives more feedback.

But if you want to get rid of it, maybe try changing strings. SOTX strings arent that popular for whatever reason, so maybe theres a reason why.

20. cfyung85

cfyung85 Regular Member

Student
    mentioning about strings, i do realize that the woven 8 came pre strung with sotx ti-65 @ 25 lb as posted by ibuysports. but when i compare it to my AT600 bg85 which is also @ 25lb, it doesn't feel the same. almost felt like 22-23 lb. wondering if this could be contributing to the vibration i'm feeling

miss hit? i do miss hit on occasion but no, the vibration is present even at sweet spot

i'll just destroy the strings with a few games then restring it again
    eagerly waiting for other wovens to arrive (especially the 7)