Badminton More than just a physical game

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by 1and1giv2, Sep 20, 2009.

1. 1and1giv2

1and1giv2 Regular Member

We all know badminton requires great physique to play a potential professional game.

Does anyone agree that a professional player is needed to think and anticipate more times faster than playing chess? The amount of steps one player has to think ahead and the speed to react to an opponent's shot.

cheers :rolleyes:

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I believe that this would come down to having trained so much, that subconscious levels of thinking are factored in more than conscious thought during a high-paced game. Are you trying to say that tactically, badminton is tougher than Chess?

Maybe it is.. seeing as Chess is a 'solved' game, however much like badminton if you were to take on a grandmaster, you'd get your ass handed to you.

I do not really see what points of discussion you'd like to bring into play.. perhaps if you structure it so as you may bring forth an intelligent discussion then maybe we can accomodate.

3. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Of course badminton players have to think and react faster, you can't just pause the shuttle and think about your shot. But the number of steps that a player thinks ahead is not even close, a landslide victory in favor of chess.

Like FEND, I don't know what you're trying to say. Almost all other sports are more than just physical and require tactics. The only possible exception being weight lifting.

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Um, no. Just no way. Have you ever tried studying chess seriously?

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I hate it when tv commentators say that a sport is like a "chess game" because there are strategic elements. The way the brain thinks and processes information in each of these situations is completely different!

6. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

There's a serious limit to how far ahead you can think in badminton.

Sure, having a creative mind to find a shot that will lead to winning the point of changing tactics and strategy (completely different things) during or between games and thinking quickly are musts, but there's no way you can think 4-5 shots ahead and make it work against a strong opponent.

I tend to act on certain tactics and study my opponent, while at chess I can take my time to read 7-8 moves ahead in a few variations. I'm not going to be taken by surprise like in badminton. Sure, he can pull a move I failed to consider, but his rook won't suddenly move diagonally!

Just a thought.

7. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    In playing chess, I can predict 3-4 moves ahead & correct myself immediately if changed. In bdminton, it is very difficult to predict 3-4 steps ahead correctly, especially if you're playing XD or MD.

8. 1and1giv2

1and1giv2 Regular Member

Ok, agree with you guys that badminton have lotsa variations and thinking a few steps ahead to tackle the opponent may or may not work as according to one's desire.

What i am talking about here is that there are various techniques to employ during a rally.

For example during a XD, one might try to isolate one of the player to the back of the court and then make a drop the moment you see your opponent's defence impaired.

in this situation u might actually be controlling the rally by thinking ahead of apx 2-3 shots?

Righto? :p

9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Even more important than that is ability to play under pressure and persistence. Getting to the top and staying at the top requires mental strength beyond what most people can imagine. Sure, game knowledge and predicting your opponent is important. So is physical attributes. But I really think what separates the good from the great is their mental strength.

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Just wondering, what bout sports like NFL? I remember watching a documentary how each coach's playbook were very thick.

11. 1and1giv2

1and1giv2 Regular Member

There are available labs for sportsmen to be mentally psyched up by professional trainers using the advance technologies of today.

This mental psyche is sumthin like training the player to memorize a certain movement virtually and by repeating the action or movement his/her body will be able to perform that movement with ease like a habit.