around the head shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Sep 20, 2009.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

ive made like three threads concerning the round the head shots and ive followed peoples advice but im still struggling. i was wondering if anyone has seen a youtube video regarding the proper techniques for performing around the head shots. like the gripping, footwork etc.

i just can't get the power for it, and i get really stiff when i try to do it.

badmintonbible.com doesnt really help much because i think the website only says that you have to make a slight adjustment and thats it.

if anyone can like show me a youtube video on the proper techniques regarding the shot please do share, because i cant find any.

ive asked people who i play with and they all tell me diff things,

but if not, i guess ill just try practicing and experimenting more :eek:

2. daiqi

daiqi Regular Member

change ure grip to the frying pan grip
    its easier

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To be fair, I haven't actually written an article about this topic yet. ;)

The grip isn't a major coaching point for round-the-head forehands -- it's much the same as for "normal" forehands.

The main things to work on are your footwork and bringing the racket across. You'll need to hit with a somewhat shorter action -- generally people who have good half-smashes ("stick-smashes") tend to have good round-the-heads also.

4. giant_q_tip

you wrote the articles on that website O_O"

well yeah, i've just noticed that I'm really late when going for the shuttle, so im doing a lot of footwork drills everyday after school/work.

btw i love your website/articles! they really do help! :D

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thank you. :) I'm hoping to get some more out soon(ish) -- it's been embarrassingly long since I added any new content. :eek:

6. giant_q_tip

try to add new contents by tomorrow

lol im kidding kidding :eek:

and is that guy you? in the pictures?

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes -- unfortunately, I can't afford to pay models to stand there and look pretty. :D

8. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Wahahaha, Gollum! Thanks for your guide site, Im getting use a bit with the real grip. I use to be using panhandle in all terms of shots, now getting adopt to the real grip.
    BTW, for the backhand defence and smash returns, which one you recoomended?Basic grip or thumbtack or etc ... ?

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I recommend getting ready for the smash with a grip that allows you to defend on both sides -- forehand and backhand. This would either be a basic/bevel grip, or something between a basic and thumb grip.

For doubles, I would definitely recommend a short grip. For singles, you could use either a short or a long grip; a long grip gives you more reach, but use a short grip if you want to play a lift or drive.

More details on this page: which grip for smash defence?

10. Smasher Dobson

Smasher Dobson Regular Member

Sparky
    I think the power really comes from the wrist and the fingers working together to produce maximum acceleration. If (like me) you also play drums, then the motion is very to when you play a buzz roll - wrist and fingers have to operate at the same time - just getting your muscles to work similtaniously is tricky, but dont focus on the aggression and strength - instead reduce the pressure and focus on the placement of the shot.

I also try to swing the bat almost completly horizontally - leaning your over to get your head out the way if necessary. This allows for the best controll and placement of the shot especially if you playing it cross court.

Best is to stand on the left (assuming your not sinister!) of the court near the middle and have a friend hit them up for you to your backhand. Try to play the round the nead shot as a cross court dropshot - ie to the far right and just over. Once you can do it consitantly, try as a left hand drop shot. Note how little difference there is in the racket movement, and how you can exaggerate or mute the follow through, but dont worry about that yet. Now play the same shot, still from the left as a cross court clear! Get your pal to hit them further and further back as you get stronger. You can of course do this down the line,but I found it esier to learn these as cross court shots. Now make sure you practise cross court round the head shot clears to train your power, and drop shots to train technique, only once you have mastered theses shots only then start playing round the head shot smashes.

Laern and master the accurucy of the shot and gradually increase the power - there no point just swingingly as hard as you can at it as you can even train yourself in to bad habits.

This of course represents my own opinions and what works for me, but let me know if any of that helps.

Davey

PS - when you do get round to the smash, it's really just a clear but with a redued angle - just keep bringing it down till you just skiffing the tape! - accurucy and placement over power every time - dosen't mean you can't give them a good ol' whack, but dont put youself off balance over wanting to put too much power in to a shot!

#10 Smasher Dobson, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  11. aamir

aamir Regular Member

coach
  12. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student