User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Never play on an empty tank

Hi all,

Just thought i would tell you an experience i had a few days ago. I enjoy my singles, absolutely love it, win or lose. Usually i would eat a fairly decent meal, not too much but enough to sustain me for the exercise ahead. I would also eat 2 hours before hand, reason being that about 30 minutes after eating your body does become somewhat sluggish. I'm sure you all have experienced this, after eating you feel somewhat tired and actually feel like sleeping.

Apparently it has to do with the body utilising the blood to digest the food you have eaten and so causing you to become tired etc. I think this forum has discussed this already.

Well what happened was that instead of eating 2 hours before i ended up not eating at all. My fault entirely, i was too engrossed on watching a tv program and before i knew it my training partner was at my door waiting to go.

Well warming up seemed ok, no problems stretching, few warm up shots, clears and drives seems to be working fine, body felt ok.

No sooner than 4 or 5 points into the game, i felt awful. I felt physically sick on court, not the throwing up kind, but it was like chest pain stomach pain rolled into one. Now as to why this happened, i can only guess that my body couldn't cope with the vigorous exercise since i had no energy for it. I expected to feel tired, but not the pain, that took me by surprise. Also felt light headed at times, not good!

Has anyone else come across something like this?

Funnily enough, i still won all my games hehehe!

But never again will i go on an empty tank. Warning for all you players out there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, the EXACT same thing happened to me today

and yea, it really sux to feel that way on court

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya.. its even worse when you're running cross country..

after you take a biology course in highschool.. your body becomes more clear to you :P

eat lots of starchy foods!! or just eat Rice :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by TOmike
    after you take a biology course in highschool.. your body becomes more clear to you :P
    anatomy course, so you know what's hurting. Physiology course, so you know why it hurts.

Yeah empty tank is bad, no energy, but pure adrenaline rush support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is all relative to the time of day. When i was training in the morning we woke up so early we never had time to eat anything, so almost all of the players were playing on an empty stomach including myself. I had real difficulty at the beginning, i felt like dying but after wards i was perfectly fine, i felt i had a second wind. Although after a while i had gotten used to the training time and playing on an empty stomach so it wasnt too bad. I hear if you do a cardio workout first thing in the morning with out any food, you can burn a lot of calories and fat that way. Thats what my physical trainer told me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not really sure.

My habbit is "not going to eat before game", or at most, just a little bit salad. I usually had my lunch around 12:30 or 1, and my practice starts at 6 or 7pm. I won't really eat or actually, not eat after game. So, means, I won't see food again like second day.

Not really sure whether this is right or not, but I think it depends different ppl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just eat 3 hours ahead, then 1 hour before the game.. go take a dump (to get rid of excess feces) and go play :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    I am not really sure.

My habbit is "not going to eat before game", or at most, just a little bit salad. I usually had my lunch around 12:30 or 1, and my practice starts at 6 or 7pm. I won't really eat or actually, not eat after game. So, means, I won't see food again like second day.

Not really sure whether this is right or not, but I think it depends different ppl.
    Wow !
    Guess it depends for different people indeed. The few times i didn't have a proper diner before practice, besides i felt weak / energyless, i began to see little black stars!
    Sometimes, after an intensive evening session when i eat something afterwards, i get people responding such as .. hey some color is appearing on your face again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, my lunch on the "game day" is consider as a big lunch. I on purposely eat a little bit more, plus a little bit fruits (a banana, or a peach, etc) during afternoon break.

Never really worried about "gain weight" to eat more on that day, since I won't see food for "a while", hehehheheh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LazyB. , do you prefer that habit because of convenience/little time to eat or do you feel more comfortable on court with it ?

Still, i think that method isn't gonna work for me ... i am already the one who is still busy with lunch while colleagues are finished for minutes..

I'm one of those (or .. at least, am still ) who is always in for food and by no means is able to gain weight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do that because I feel more comfortable. If I have food (not necessary a lot), before I get on the court, I am kinda feel sick. My reaction will slow, powerless, and sometimes can't even concentrate.

I know this won't sound right to a lot of us, but kinda true to me. Therefore, I prefer not eat at all, before practice. Plus, I am that kinda "can gain 1, 2 lbs right there, even only drink juice/water".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not so good to play a game on an empty stomach but it's also not good to eat a 3-course meal before as well. I usually grab some fruits, eat a powerbar or something just to give me enough energy to last the games and then grab another quick bite to eat after the game. Eating after exercising helps build faster metabolism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you experience the extreme discomfort because not eating came from lack of body fat. I guess as I have some fat in my body, I will experience some hunger initially but my fat kicks in pretty fast so I'll be okay. When I was playing competitive, I weight 20 pound less and I will not able to play at all if I didn't eat.

One suggestion though, always bring energy bar and sports drink with you, should bring some Power Gel also if possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha... I guess then I have "way too much fat" can be burned during games. Still, not skinny yet.

Even though, I prefer don't eat before games, I drink a lot. I always finish more than 2 bottles (sometimes like 3, 4) of powerade / juice during my 4 hrs of practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi LazyBuddy, you can try this trick I learn from a Triathlete. Instead of drinking during the practice, try to drink more Gatorade before you start practice. That way the body will not have to wait until it goes into a dehydration state before you get more fluid in your body. It really helps me a lot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Lefty
    Instead of drinking during the practice, try to drink more Gatorade before you start practice. That way the body will not have to wait until it goes into a dehydration state before you get more fluid in your body. It really helps me a lot.
    Yeah, I always start to drink my 1st bottle before I get on the court.

Maybe that's why I have to rush to "men's room" after no more than 3 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    Ha... I guess then I have "way too much fat" can be burned during games. Still, not skinny yet.

Even though, I prefer don't eat before games, I drink a lot. I always finish more than 2 bottles (sometimes like 3, 4) of powerade / juice during my 4 hrs of practice.
    Hey lazy, maybe it's not fat in you but all those water you consume floating around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast