User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 30
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    next door
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Stamina Training? Footwork Technique?

    Stamina
    -I tire out really quick. Maybe because I have just gotten into the sport, but I have seen almost everybody at the courts play endlessly. Are there any training? Just keep playing badminton? Laps around the gym? I play in a rec, and there is a workout room there too, ellipical, treadmill?

    Footwork
    -Lee Jae Bok has told me to put my racket feet a bit forward. It seems kind of weird for me at first, since I have been playing the other way before. How do you position your feet? For receiving serves, I still have my racket feet behind me. Are there any good videos of footwork techniques?

    In general, any good videos reccomendation for strokes, footwork, any basic and beginner stuff. I want to make sure I have a good foundation, before I move up to trick shots and smashes.

    Thanks BC!

  2. #2
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,910
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow It could take more than 1,000 words to explain

    Quote Originally Posted by heyitsericc View Post
    Stamina
    -I tire out really quick. Maybe because I have just gotten into the sport, but I have seen almost everybody at the courts play endlessly. Are there any training? Just keep playing badminton? Laps around the gym? I play in a rec, and there is a workout room there too, ellipical, treadmill?

    Footwork
    -Lee Jae Bok has told me to put my racket feet a bit forward. It seems kind of weird for me at first, since I have been playing the other way before. How do you position your feet? For receiving serves, I still have my racket feet behind me. Are there any good videos of footwork techniques?


    In general, any good videos reccomendation for strokes, footwork, any basic and beginner stuff. I want to make sure I have a good foundation, before I move up to trick shots and smashes.

    Thanks BC!
    .
    For Singles, usually players have their racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

    But for Doubles, players usually have their non-racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

    As to why ??? - Ask your coach. It could take more than 1,000 words to explain.
    .

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    next door
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a coach. I have the ears, if you don't mind explaining.

    What about post service, when the game is on? Feet are parallel?

  4. #4
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    12,766
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    For Singles, usually players have their racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

    But for Doubles, players usually have their non-racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

    As to why ??? - Ask your coach. It could take more than 1,000 words to explain.
    .
    Huh? Isn't it always racket foot behind when receiving serve, doesn't matter singles or doubles?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    next door
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a coach. I have the ears, if you don't mind explaining.

    What about post service, when the game is on? Feet are parallel?

  6. #6
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,910
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow It depends on your opponent(s)'s Service (high or low)

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Huh? Isn't it always racket foot behind when receiving serve, doesn't matter singles or doubles?
    .
    It depends on your opponent(s)'s Service - Whether to make you move forward or backward to receive his/her Service.
    .

  7. #7
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    12,766
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    It depends on your opponent(s)'s Service - Whether to make you move forward or backward to receive his/her Service.
    .
    But we're talking about in preparation to receive a serve... not yet knowing whether the serve will be low or high or short or wide.

    If you look at badminton bible or any of the pro players (whether doubles or singles), the racket foot is always at the back, always.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    next door
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    It depends on your opponent(s)'s Service - Whether to make you move forward or backward to receive his/her Service.
    .
    Yea, I agree with visor on this one, unless you can read their mind.

    Inception?

  9. #9
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,910
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow The important thing to observe on which foot the weight is on

    Quote Originally Posted by heyitsericc View Post
    Yea, I agree with visor on this one, unless you can read their mind.

    Inception?
    .
    If you already prefer to have your non-racket foot at the front, then I shall say no more.

    Actually, the important thing to observe on which foot a player is having his/her weight on. He/she may have weight on the racket foot, whether it is placed in front or at the back.
    .

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    4,317
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Actually, the important thing to observe on which foot a player is having his/her weight on. He/she may have weight on the racket foot, whether it is placed in front or at the back.
    I think the important thing to observe is which foot is forwards.

    If the receiver's racket foot is forwards, he will have terrible difficulty coping with a flick serve.

  11. #11
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,910
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Depends on which is the the stronger leg which can do the power push off

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    I think the important thing to observe is which foot is forwards.

    If the receiver's racket foot is forwards, he will have terrible difficulty coping with a flick serve.
    .
    IMHO, this will depend on which is the the stronger leg which can do the power push off.
    .

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    4,317
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    IMHO, this will depend on which is the the stronger leg which can do the power push off.
    .
    No, it doesn't depend on which leg is stronger.

    If your racket foot is forwards, then to return a flick serve you must push off backwards and make a ~180 degree spin. This makes it very difficult to move backwards quickly and on balance.

    With the non-racket foot forwards, the 180-degree spin is not necessary. The movement is simpler and easier. You have very little time in this situation, so you cannot afford a more complex or awkward movement.

  13. #13
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    12,766
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Chris

    I'm surprised by your answer.

    If you have watched any pro games, you would see that it is always always the non racket foot forward.

  14. #14
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    37,483
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Chris

    I'm surprised by your answer.

    If you have watched any pro games, you would see that it is always always the non racket foot forward.
    i concur with the majority here. i have never seen anyone worth mentioning put their racket foot forward on a service return.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,269
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    in response to heyitsericc:

    during a rally, I personally would always have my racket foot in front - I MAY vary how far in front it goes - the more offensive I am, the further forwards my racket foot tends to be (as I assume I am less likely to have to push off sideways quickly - more forwards and backwards). If you are CERTAIN your opponent cannot attack you, but can only lift, then having your non racket foot forwards may be ok, but I see no benefit over having your racket foot forwards at all times. The advantage of having the racket foot forwards, is it tends to bring the racket shoulder and racket arm forwards, giving a better range of motion for the racket arm, but still positioning the feet in such a way that one can efficiently cover every corner - particularly the round the head movements (although the forehand rear corner is always likely to be more difficult to cover).

    When receiving service, I would always have my non racket foot forwards, because this helps me cope with flick serves (as mentioned by others) because my racket shoulder is further back (where it needs to be quickly after you see the flick serve coming).

    Matt

  16. #16
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,910
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Cmment about Lee Jae Bok's instruction

    .
    Thanks for correcting me. Firstly, I was answering to heyitsericc's comment about Lee Jae Bok's instruction.
    Quote Originally Posted by heyitsericc View Post
    Footwork
    -Lee Jae Bok has told me to put my racket feet a bit forward. It seems kind of weird for me at first, since I have been playing the other way before. How do you position your feet? For receiving serves, I still have my racket feet behind me. Are there any good videos of footwork techniques?
    Then I posted;
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    For Singles, usually players have their racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

    But for Doubles, players usually have their non-racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

    As to why ??? - Ask your coach. It could take more than 1,000 words to explain.
    It should read;

    For the Return of Service, we usually have our racket foot behind.

    But to get into the Ready Position during a rally (not for the Return of Service), it is recommended that players have their non-racket foot behind.

    Actually, it is better to talk about on which foot (racket or non-racket foot) our weight should be on, not whether which foot is placed at the front or at the back.

    I have started a new thread, found located at;
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...10#post1574910
    .
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-30-2010 at 06:38 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    12,766
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Heh, just to confuse the op some more...

    There is only one instance when you should prepare to receive serve with the racket foot forward! This is when your opponent is one of these unconventional forehand servers who stands at the right front corner to serve in the right half court. Then you need to receive serve in this manner to counter the drive serve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. stamina/endurance training(please help!!)
    By alwayslolzzz in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 7
    : 02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
  2. Looking into new training methods for footwork
    By trainedtotrain in forum Coaching Forum
    Replies: 13
    : 08-28-2009, 01:53 AM
  3. training for stamina for singles match
    By kooshball in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 31
    : 12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    : 04-30-2005, 11:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •