User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Changing from bicep/shoulder style smash to a forem/wrist whip like smash.

Has anyone ever done this? I can smash really hard with a shoulder-bicep smash but it can be very taxing on my arm. When I perform a whip like smash with my forearm and wrist follow through I can still smash pretty hard and it feels much better. I've reduced my grip size for faster swing speed to even get a better whip smash going on. Also, I've noticed that when perform my whippy smash, my footwork and positioning improves too. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the same for most smashes and those emergency recover shots when I don't have enough time to employ a more controlled movement. It works wonders for me.

3. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
    Has anyone ever done this? I can smash really hard with a shoulder-bicep smash but it can be very taxing on my arm. When I perform a whip like smash with my forearm and wrist follow through I can still smash pretty hard and it feels much better. I've reduced my grip size for faster swing speed to even get a better whip smash going on. Also, I've noticed that when perform my whippy smash, my footwork and positioning improves too. What do you guys think?
    Isn't the proper technique to use the forarm and wrist as you've done? Or should you use shoulder and bicep as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the racket is probably moving faster while you use the forearm-wrist whip type smash, as it accelerates greatly prior to contact, which would translate to increased speed of the smash

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the heck is a shoulder-biceps-smash?

Does this mean you don't use any pronation?
    Imho, to advance from beginner to intermediate/advanced status, pronation is fundamental. No way to play serious badminton without underarm pronation...

But maybe I got your question wrong...

7. Likes Birdy, gundamzaku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick smash vs full arm swing?

9. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whip smash has full body, arm, wrist and waist rotation. This is what I am doing nowadays.
    The shoulder smash is just trying to power through the bird with shear shoulder and bicep power... it doesn't have the typical whip or flick at the end of the smash . Hope that helps..
    Last edited by JustinG; 12-13-2013 at 12:57 PM.

11. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
    Whip smash has full body, arm, wrist and waist rotation. This is what I am doing nowadays.
    The shoulder smash is just trying to power through the bird with shear shoulder and bicep power... it doesn't have the typical whip or flick at the end of the smash . Hope that helps..
    IMO, full smash is good at the back (since what you need is power)
    while stick smash is in the middle of the court (and maybe front) since stick smash is fast to produce (lack of power though) and tends to have steeper angle than full smash

13. Likes Birdy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no such thing as a "shoulder" or "bicep" smash. It is not even the difference between a full smash and a stick smash.

The only way to smash is to use the whole body, the legs, the torso, the rotation of the hips and shoulders, the extension of the arm, the rotation of the forearm, the extension/flexion of the wrist, and the use of the fingers. Anything else is just incomplete technique i.e. not as powerful or effective as it could have otherwise been!

A stick smash is one with a faster swing, and typically using less elements of the body i.e. less arm extension and body rotation, and more focused on the end of the swing cycle.

Good luck to all you smashers, and especially those of you trying to change your technique! Best of luck!

15. Likes gundamzaku, khoai, Birdy liked this post