[need help] string breaks during the stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by chen0019, Sep 22, 2009.

1. chen0019

chen0019 Regular Member

I bought one Pro's Pro challenger I (drop weight) stringing machine. when I tried to do the stringing. the string broke every time. Initially, the weakest point was my fixed clamp gripping points. When I switched to HQ flying clamp only, the string still snapped, but not at the clamping points, it's somewhere in the middle. The tension I used is 22lb, and the strings were Toalson premium 8 and Yonex BG65Ti.

My biggest suspect is liner string gripper grips the string too tightly. Can you give me some advice how I can proceed from here?

Thank you very much.
    Chen

2. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Adjust the fixed clamps, at what point in the stringing process is it snapping? Main strings, shared cross string holes, tying knots? First thing as you try to string the mains?

If it's whenever you try to string the gripper could be too tight, info on how to adjust is in the manual. I think it's the large screw on the end of the machine, my manual is packed in a box right now so I can't check. Everything (clamps/string gripper) should be adjusted so that the string isn't marked/dented, but it doesn't slip when stringing. I find it a little odd that it would be that due to the way it works but you never know.

Also check grommets/racket for sharp edges which could be fraying the string.

If you give a bit more info people will be able to give more info.

Hope that helps.

3. chen0019

chen0019 Regular Member

Thank you, Sevex.

Adjust the fixed clamps, at what point in the stringing process is it snapping? Main strings, shared cross string holes, tying knots? First thing as you try to string the mains?
    =>The first thing I did was to adjust the fixed clamps. But was unable to get the balance point between slipping and dented. And one clamp has uneven gap at the two sides (one side is wider). One of the the snapping point is at the top grommet A2, the other time it snapped at non of the contact point (I used flying clamp only).

If it's whenever you try to string the gripper could be too tight, info on how to adjust is in the manual. I think it's the large screw on the end of the machine, my manual is packed in a box right now so I can't check. Everything (clamps/string gripper) should be adjusted so that the string isn't marked/dented, but it doesn't slip when stringing.
    => I dont have the manual. I adjusted my string gripper, I think it should be better now. I have lost the confidence in the fixed clamps after my inspection on the clamps.

Also check grommets/racket for sharp edges which could be fraying the string.
    => I will do that.

By the way, are you also using Pro's pro challenger?

I really appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.

4. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I am using the pro's pro challenger, with the crank instead of drop weight. I haven't been stringing long, but have had some of the problems you've had!

I guess you have checked grommet a2 for damage. Seems a weird place for it to break so something must be wrong with the grommet or fixing parts of the machine.

I don't rely solely on the fixed clamps for holding tension, I also back them up with a flying clamp so if one slips the other should hold. I agree it is hard to adjust them, it took me a while, although mine are well manufactured (not uneven on the sides). Maybe go for a slight dent in the string while you practise.

Snapping nowhere is a little odd, it's hard to say what's causing it, if it happens after the adjustments/grommet replacement you could video it, so any problems could be seen.

Also I'd recommend practising with cheap string and rackets, that way if something does go wrong it doesn't matter so much.

One last note, it took me 3 attempts on my first racket, 2 on my 2nd and the 3rd (and thereafter) only 1. So don't worry if things go wrong, it's annoying but you'll learn from it and won't make the mistake again.

I learnt:
    1) Back up the main clamps with a flying clamp (one slipped and I lost all tension in the mains).
    2) Remember to fix the fixed clamps! (oops...)
    3) Be careful on the cross string starting knot (it cut through my main string on one occasion). I now tension the 2nd cross and not the first (not sure if this is correct but it stopped the snapping).
    4) When doing cross string shared holes be careful the string doesn't twist too much and snap, weave one cross ahead of the one you are tensioning, it seemed to help the string settle a bit.

Hopefully you won't make the same mistakes as me!

5. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

at 22 lbs your string can only be broken from one reason, damage to the string. By that I mean something is slicing the string so that the tension does the rest. I would examine your gear and make sure it is not worn with sharp edges. The only other reason I could imagine is your 22 lbs is not actually 22lbs make sure your settings are correct and you're not actually doing something like 40 lbs. Another possibility is bad string.

6. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

clamps must be to tight?
    use Yonex or that one other clamp(-.- i forgot the name)

7. CYW2006

CYW2006 Regular Member

agree with illusionistpro
    try to calibrate ur machine first....

8. geopri

geopri Regular Member

carpenter
    The other thing that may cause the string to break is it's gauge may be to low for the tension being used. As I understand BG65Ti isn't that thicker gauge and may only require a tension of 18-20 lbs also are you letting your drop weight down too fast. It's only a thought! Hope this is of some help.

Regards
    geopri

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Please take a couple of photos of your setup for us so that we can help you. Thank you.

10. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Hi.

Pro's Pro Challenger I (at least my version) comes with a drop-weight made from two pieces. One piece (with tightening screw) is used for badminton, two pieces connected together are used for tennis. They are coming connected together usually, please unscrew the bolt in a hole with a wrench provided and use only one weight. If you are trying to do 22 lbs with two weights - you are doing 20 kilograms (or more then 40 lbs) and string you are using will definitely snap.

The badminton fixed swivel clamps can be used after you adjust them - the only one problem that the adjustment screw is not "micro" - so turn it in small chunks only and you will be fine. You need to inspect the clamps for sharp edges - mine is OK, but I will be happy to see better finish on them. Also check if you are not putting the string deep in to the mechanism - deeper then the lenght of the teeth.

The linear string gripper does not have any adjustment bolts of ny challenger I. It will press the string with the force you cannot adjust. Mine has sharp edge on one of the plates - in the middle near the springs. Both plates has some kind of sharp bumps like waffles - but one of the plates has way bigger bumps then another. The gripper on my machine damages the string for shure - I have checked it with BG65. THe outer layer becomes all covered with small cuts - can feel it with my fingers. You can say clearly where string was gripped. I am using a business card folded and put in between the jaws of linear gripper - this is the solution :)

Hope you will figure the problems out.

One more place to check - test you can turn the posts (the two big towers) when they are tightened. Both posts on my machine have a little play because that small bolts wich holds the shinig plates are slightly higher the the plates itself. So the base of the post can not rest on flat plate, it rest on the bolt instead.