bg80 smashing?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by firearc, Sep 23, 2009.

1. firearc

firearc Regular Member

I have bg80 24lb and I do not smash that hard but frequently. Will it break sooner if I smash more?

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

it depends on your frequency of playing.

3. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    It will take some time to break the string so don't worry t depends on where you are at. The environment plays a big difference. My BG80 at 29lbs still good after 2months coming to the 3rd month. Smashing hard at every chance that I have. Feels like it takes forever to break the string.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    just depends on how you play really, 24lbs is not to high so it wont stretch the string to much thinner than it already is since its a thinner string. but as with all strings the life can vary depending on how much you play and how you play. ive had BG80 on my racquet for about 6 days now and well theres already big frays and all on it.

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

just play and find out. everyone is different.

6. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

provided your grommets are in good condition and it has been strung by a competent stringer, it will almost never break.

7. l_i_a_m

l_i_a_m Regular Member

Since it is about BG 80, I have few questions that need the expertise of you guys to help me out. For some reasons, I cannot figure out the what's the problem with me? is it the racket? the string? or it is just me?

I am using 3 different racket and 3 different string at different tension:

1) Armortec 70 mega + BG 66 at 24lb (medium flex, head heavy)

2) Nanospeed 800 + BG 65 Ti at 23lb (stiff flex, head light)

3) Fischer Calibur + BG 80 at 23lb (high flex, even balance)

I can smash and feel better using Armortec and Fischer, but I just can't smash, defence, recover using Nanospeed, is it the BG 65 Ti string? I feel lack of power as compared to BG 66 and BG 80, it is the racket itself?

Can it be:

1) I cannot play stiff shaft racket?

2) I cannot use non-repulsion string?

3) The tension for BG 65 Ti is too low since it is a non-repulsion string?

4) I cannot play head light racket?

If I strung higher tension for BG 65 Ti, will I get back the same feeling for BG 66 or BG 80?

8. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

BG66 and BG80 are both very repulsive strings. I personally hate BG65Ti to the core :eek:. As usual, YMMV.

I'll start by standardising the string/tension. It could be anything but seriously, why are you running 3 totally different rackets?

9. l_i_a_m

l_i_a_m Regular Member

BG 65 Ti was mainly for hard hitter, I thought I can or I will be a hard hitter, well...I guess I am NOT a hard hitter then, because I just can't get the power from it, but when I changed to other racket with BG 66 or BG 80, I just somehow get my power back.

I still suspect the shaft can affect my performance, the BG 65 Ti was strung with Nanospeed 800 - stiff shaft.

I am running 3 totally different rackets because I was still under the "try and error" category, I was testing which type of racket can improve my game play or other words, suit my style. Of course if I got the $$$, I would love to try all the high end Yonex series :)

Back to the topic, BG 80 or BG 66? myself tend to prefer BG 80, but as for repulsion, I think BG 66 is better right?

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I prefer BG80 because it's somewhat rougher. Since you are doing trial/error, just restring the NS800 to BG66 (cheaper) and see if you like it. If you can play with other rackets, just use those rackets and be happy with your game.

Personally, I cannot play well with any armortec. I had a mixed reaction to the ARC10 but ditched it in favour of the ZELM after about 2 months trial. I got used to the ZELM only after about 3+ months of trial and now it's my main racket (partly because my wife uses my Cab30). Then again, with the roughness I treat my racket, the ZELM is a way better choice for me.

No problem for me not liking any of those other rackets... My opponents will never know :p. Likewise, if you can play with any racket/string, just use that and don't worry about others that doesn't suit you.

11. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

BG80 holds tension better as well, Bro... ;)

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Yo bro, haven't seen you since SgOpen.

It does drop a bit in the first few days (settling in?). After that BG80 holds its tension really well until it finally dies in 3-4 months for me :D. Bo pian, too cheap to buy my own stringing machine and dun want to pay for stringing. Overall, I love the BG80.

13. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    I had my YY Nanospeed 9900 strung with BG 80 at 23/25 lb. The string snapped after less than 6 weeks. As a side note, I'm an attacking player and play roughly 3 to 4 times a week.

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i second that opinion even though my skill level might not be as high as you guys, i have never broken a string, maybe i just don't hit hard enough, and being in california it's quite dry here, so my strings are a bit brittle. it would be nice to break a string once in a while, to show i actually hit hard, but nope, never. i've hit the frame numerous times tho :eek:

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    basically what i've learned from testing whether it's for badminton or chemistry, it's best to keep everything constant and test just one variable. someone on this forum also mentioned the same thing. what i am doing right now is to test out the different strings, so i have 4 carbonex 8600ti rackets, one with bg68ti, one with bg66, one with gosen bio roots 66, and another with ashaway microlegend XL, and all four strings were strung at 21lbs (sorry guys i don't have much power). since i already have tried out different rackets with the same bg68ti at 21lbs, i know that i like the feel of the cab8600ti racket. this way, the tension is constant, racket is constant, only the string is different. one variable at a time, at least for me it works.

16. gundamzaku

working professional
    here in northern california we have some badminton clubs where you can rent out a racket for that one visit for like five dollars or so. that way people can actually try out the racket and see how it feels playing with it. hearing from my local badminton stringer, he said that he's gotten more complaints about the nanospeed rackets and how they don't provide enough power, and mainly because the person using it can't generate enough power because most of the rackets in the nanospeed line are pretty stiff. i haven't done research on it so i'm not sure if it's true or not, i have both ns8000s and ns8000x as well as a ns800 and honestly, i can't tell the difference between the three, but i could tell that my mp99 is way flexible than the nanospeed. that's the only obvious thing i could distinguish.

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    very true especially the last part, no need to worry about what you don't like, unless you're really curious about the product. i have played with the cab8600ti with bg68ti for quite a while until i've decided to test out other strings at the same tension.

good point about the bg66 testing too

18. gundamzaku

working professional
    can anyone describe their experience with the yonex bg80 along with the racket model and tension?

19. BaddyFreakz

BaddyFreakz New Member

depends on if u do slice a lot man .. if u hit dead on and flat.. strings are not suppose to break that fast!

it also helps if u hit the sweet spot and not the sides too!

20. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I'll give you a comparison in my own experience:

Racquet: old colour AT700 3U

String/Tension 1: BG65, 24x26lbs
    String/Tension 2: BG80, 22x24lbs

Summary: Both racquets have the same weight and balance point (I measured). I intentionally strung the BG80 at 2lbs lower because I didn't want the string bed to feel too much harder than the BG65.

What I found was that the AT with BG80 makes me feel that it is more suitable for doubles play. This is most likely due to the slightly thinner gauge which facilitates long pushes and "wider angle" (not steeper) smashing. Despite the BG80 being thinner, I still feel that my smashes are of the same power and speed on both racquets (both are the same model so go figure what matters more).

IMHO strings should be chosen based on the game mentality that you're looking for (constant smasher, singles/doubles player etc).