need new racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by 10kolex, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 10kolex

10kolex Regular Member

IT Guru
    Hi, need a racquet recommendation please.

I'm a intermidiate/advanced player, play doubles more than singles. I like power for smashing and control in my racquet.

Previously I have used and Arc10, Arc7 and Armotec 800 def, i have have yet to find a racquet that is best suited to me, people have stated that the racquets are too stiff for me. I'm looking for a racquet by a company other than yonex (carlton, forza, ashaway).

Thanks

2. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    If you're not getting on with those racquets I'd be interested to know why? The Arc 7 has a medium flexible shaft. To go more flexible you'd need to spend less money - certainly on Yonex range.

Victor make good racquets, so do karakal, Head, Carlton etc.

We can all tell you what we play with (I use Nanopseed 9900) but that's not going to help you.

What you need to do is test as many racquets as you possibly can. Ask members as your club and see if anything there feels better. It could be you need to look at your string tension before you change your racquet as this can make a huge difference.

If you want to chat more pm me or go to my blog www.badminton-coach.co.uk

I actually live near Warrington so we're not that far away.

Good luck

3. SheepJumpFish

SheepJumpFish Regular Member

Student
    I personally recommend Oliver rackets as though I've only had one I really liked it and it felt really good, until it broke, I had the centric k4 which was probably my fault for braking and I don't know if others break as I don't know any people who use it anymore.
    www.sportdiscount.com
    they were fine when I used them about 2 years ago as have tried other rackets since, another recommendation would be Carlton Fireblade S-lite, which is light headed but I still find it easy to get good power behind, I got this off www.milletsports.com
    Hope that helps

4. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

realy?
    are you a fast flicker? you have to be since u say ur kinda pro
    i don't think there right beacause the arc7 is a medium stiff racket good for intermediates

5. 10kolex

10kolex Regular Member

IT Guru
    Yes the arc7 was really good, with amazing control, but the problem i found is that i could not generate enough power with it (plus i gave it to my sister as she liked it more than the mp 22). My club members simply state that I do not have that power yet that is suited for a stiff racquet, currently got my armortec 800 def with bg65ti at 22, and arcsaber 10 with bg65ti 24 (factory settings). I am interested in the carlton vapour tour, reading its info. its a medium flex, i need some opinons thanks.

6. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    10Kolex

Why on earth are you playing with these tensions? 22-24 lbs are for players that are middling the shuttle virtually every shot. Perhaps the problem is not the racquet but your string tensions.

For improving league players I wouldn't recommend tension greater than 20lbs. Forget what you read on this forum about high tensions. I've been stringing racquets for 20+ years and strung for international players and champions to beginners.

It would sound more like the strings are too tight for you and therefore reducing your ability to generate power.

PM me or go to my blog to contact me but you could be spending money when you don't need to. By the way, I'm not after your stringing business, but do feel you're over complicating matters.

Good luck

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I have mixed feelings about that post, Paul. Some parts I really agree with but others I really don't.

I don't really see 22-24Lbs as particularly high tensions - I see those as the low end of the normal range for players at my club and others from different clubs within my area.

However, I think that for the most part, I agree with the points that you're making. After all, if someone is going to spend that sort of money on high end Yonex rackets, I'm sure the small fee for strings and stringing wouldn't be too much of an issue. If I were the OP, I would consider getting their current racket strung with Yonex BG-66 or Ashaway Zymax 62 at a low tension (18-20Lbs maybe). It wouldn't cost too much but if it helped, it would be considerably cheaper than buying a new racket.

8. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

yes yes the tension also plays part in power to
    you should be able to use 23-20 tension at your level
    but i guess we recommend you go for a lower tension

9. a_tabassum

a_tabassum Regular Member

work
    where i can buy low price racket ?

10. friendlyed

friendlyed Regular Member

Student
    iv just done a few weeks of testing rackets and i can say its more, how u personally feel with the racket, and not the money thats going into it.I played with arc 10 and had the same problem , no power , its basically too advanced i feel for me.

this was my thread
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74720

after trying some other top yonex rackets, i decided to go lower on price and find a diff brand. After trying two of carltons new vapour trail models (st and the fx-ti), the fx-ti seemed to be better even though it was £20-30 less than the st, and i just bought another and im still very happy with them. So thats my story :D

11. a_tabassum

work
  12. a_tabassum

work
  13. roy b

roy b Regular Member

The price alone would indicate to me that this is a FAKE. Sorry.