Playing against opponent much weaker than u

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tlautlau, Sep 24, 2009.

1. tlautlau

tlautlau Regular Member

Banking
    Hi all,

I'll be in a tournment very soon representing my company in a companies tournment.

The quality of players will vary, some very good some quite bad

The tournment is a very long one (round-robin) with many teams, each game is winning 2 out of 3 sets. Basically I'll be there whole day long.

When playing against opponents much weaker than me, and I happened to get a big lead (eg. 19-2?). Should I let my opponent to get few more points before ending the match, just to show some mercy? 21-6 is much better than 21-2, right?

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

since this is a tournament... I would want my opponent to demolish me if they can

Why? I'll remember the match and it will make me want to train even harder to get better.

Plus since the tournament is very long like you say just get the matches over with so you have no worries about stamina. In case you might need it for a very good opponent.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    never losen the paddle in Tournaments... Alwyas try to finish off asap!

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    If it's a tournament, play for keeps. No point staying on any longer than you need to.

5. pyshuttler

pyshuttler Regular Member

always play your best - it may inspire your weaker opponents to go away and train harder for next time.
    don't cheat yourself or your opponent of your best game.

6. benjapol

benjapol New Member

With that system, you should close the game as soon as you can so that will not affect you stamina and strength. Make sure you will have enough resting time before the next one.

7. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah , I would close it.

It is better for the beginner , although obviously if it is a total beginner - I wouldn't smash my powerfullest. If they are intermediate players , I would take the game.

If they are new to the game , I would close the game , but not be harsh , as to launch the shuttlecock at them.

8. hoeboe

hoeboe New Member

I always play my hardest and best. If people are serious about it they know that you are as well.

I (we/doubles partner) once gave a girl (and partner) I really liked a huge lead in a match hoping to further a relationship along........needless to say she knew at the end of it that we were not trying near as hard as we always did. She was very mad that we let them gain those points.

After that I have never given mercy to anyone. My thoughts are that if you lose you lose and you (them) will gain knowledge from the experience.

Long story short..... FINISH THE MATCH AND PUT IT AWAY.

Cheers
    Hoeboe

9. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

Beginners often have poor stamina / FITNESS...
    I torture their fitness, instead of showing how powerful my smash is...
    When I play with someone very inferior to me, I dont smash at all, but I dont END the rally also :p

I'll keep giving shots that make them MOVE to the 4 corners, and also check that THEY CAN retrieve everything.. In that way, the rally keeps going, you keep your opponent moving..
    After about 4 points of rally as long as 20 - 40 seconds... your opponent would get out of the court.
    They wouldnt want to play with you..

10. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

make de score very close eg. 21-15 to 18 thereabts since stamina's not a concern for intermeadiate players.
    this will not put u on alert list of better players. disguise ur weapons n use cunning.
    otherwise they will study to avoid ur strengths n exploit ur weakness.

this is basic of art of war.

11. kirby3

kirby3 Regular Member

in tournament level matches its common knowledge that people are there to win so smash away, if this was a casual match sure loosen up a bit.

12. tlautlau

tlautlau Regular Member

Banking
    thanks for all the responses everyone :)

the reason I asked this question,

1.) it's about showing mercy ( I know I shouldn't do that for this reason because it is a tournment, and I have an average stamina).

2.) teams are in a round-robin format, all teams will need to play for placement even if not qualify for playoff. Team C can easily read the score between the matches of Team A and Team B... so if someone wins by a lot (shutout?), then it can gather a lot of other teams' attention since their team may play you sometime down the road.

13. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    If it is a friendly game, yes, shows some mercy by give away few points.
    It is too bad that tournament is cruel & merciless since it is not a good place to show mercy to your opponent.