Tournament for a Cause Oct 4th (for Los Angeles area residents)

Discussion in 'Arcadia Badminton Club ( ABC )' started by tggz71, Sep 28, 2009.

1. tggz71

tggz71 Regular Member

Inventory/Warehouse Manager
    On September 26, heavy rains brought by typhoon Ondoy (international code name Ketsana) pounded the Philippines, which resulted in massive flooding of its capital and some low-lying provinces not seen in 40 years. The resulting deluge claimed the lives of 140 people and has affected more than 400,000 individuals after high floodwaters gobbled houses and cars. The figures are expected to climb higher as rescue efforts continue.

In response to this humanitarian crisis, the Philippine Badminton Club-Arcadia (PBCA) will be holding a tournament this coming Saturday (October 4) at 6:00 o’clock in the evening, entitled “Play for a Cause: Help Philippine Flood Victims,” at the Arcadia Badminton Club (ABC), which is also a co-sponsor of the event. In our own small way, we hope to raise funds from the entry fees to be generated from the tournament. These will in turn be turned over to a reputable institution that is undertaking relief efforts in the Philippines.

The tournament details are as follows:

1. Categories: men’s doubles, ladies doubles and mixed doubles.
    2. Class: A,B,C & D.
    3. A player can only play in one category; no crossing over.
    4. Entry fee: $10.00.
    5. Tournament call time: 5:30 PM.
    6. 30-point game. The first to reach 30 points wins.
    7. Sudden-death elimination system. Finals will be best of three sets, with the last set at 15 points. The first reaching 15 points wins.

No prizes will be awarded and participants are expected to take care of their own shuttlecocks and refreshments since this is purely a charitable event and we hope to maximize the entry fees to be collected in donating them to flood victims. Certificates of appreciation will be given to all participants. What better way to play and enjoy badminton by at the same time helping others in their moment of crisis? Let us unite and extend our helping hands!

2. B@dEyes

B@dEyes Regular Member

I believe there's a typo...this coming Saturday would be October 3, 2009.

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Bless you all. I'll pray for its success. :)

4. ABCmanagement

ABCmanagement Regular Member

We had a meeting yesterday (Monday evening) at ABC with Officers and Tournament Committee of PBCA. They are practical and fast response. We just want to let people of Philippines know that we are thinking of them.

Bad news is the death toll still rising and there's another Typhoon on the way to the Philippines this weekend. Philippines is on the Typhoon track and they have Typhoon every year which is similar to Hurricane to Florida in USA. We can't do anything to fight against nature. However, we as Badminton players should do our best to conserve and make less trash.

For example, I used to clean up my Badminton Club every morning when started. I'd seen a lot of water bottles - Arrowhead, Geyser, Nestle, Kirkland etc... One interesting thing was most of the bottles still have 1/3 to 2/3 full of water inside. So I usually use those water to water my plants in the club. Does anyone know why still have so much water inside these bottles?

The answer - Players bought Bottle Water and drink right away. Then, they go play on the court, come out but not sure which bottle of water had drunk before. Actually player should bring a pen to signify the water they drink which can save a lot of trash and recycling of plastic bottles.

Anyway, if you have time this saturday. Please come to ABC and show support to the PBCA and people in the Philippines.

Thanks and Mabuhay
    WILLIAM CHAN
    ABC

5. tggz71

tggz71 Regular Member

Corrected Date " Oct-3 "

Just wanted to make the following correction. The PBCA " Play for a Couse " charity tournament is on Saturday the 3rd not the 4th as was posted. I want to thank William and the Arcadia Badminton Club for all the support they are giving us to help in the Philippines.

Thomas..

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Good cause..^^

..another question:
    What if someone wants to participate but has no partner to play with? Will you guys accommodate those who don't have any partner? Or should the participating player bring his/her own playing partner??..

Thank you, Thomas & ABC, for organizing this!:cool:

7. tggz71

tggz71 Regular Member

Those that don't have a partner, come and join us. I'm sure there will be someone there to pair up with.

#7 tggz71, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^One more question..^^

..sorry:p..How many matches will we get to play?? If we lose our first match, would we get another chance to play (consolation rd.)? Or it's a one-time you lose-you're out deal??..
    Thanks in advance-:)

9. tggz71

tggz71 Regular Member

10. shreky

shreky Regular Member

i played in arcadia last week .... i'm now back in the east coast ..... i already made a donation thru the company that i work for ..... have fun!

11. tggz71

tggz71 Regular Member

Sorry you won't get a chance to play with us, but thanks for support. No matter who your donation went thru, it is appreciated.

Thomas

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    The next typhoon, Pepeng, will be giving it's full blast tomorrow, Saturday. People here are so traumatized. Everybody's afraid. Every now and then, employees in the office look out the window to check the weather condition. My friends and I want to cancel the seats we reserved for the Spring Awakening musical (but tickets are nonrefundable). I'm contemplating on bringing my car because it's harder to get stranded in the flood with a vehicle. Others who are still affected by Ondoy's flood are so worried.

I wish your badminton for a cause would be successful. And I wish for the Filipino people to be safe. :(

Thank you very much.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It was a success...

..considering it was a last minute idea, surprisingly the turn out was pretty good (i'd say more than 50 people participated). I know everyone had a pretty good time as the pairs played at least 2 matches...And the total donation wasn't bad either.
    Btw, nice meeting you, Thomas.:cool:

14. tggz71

tggz71 Regular Member

Hey it was nice meeting you also... Thanks for all the help...