Team England Olympians to appear at Bath against Japan

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Bath Chronicle
    Thursday, October 01, 2009,

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/sport/Olympians-appear-Bath/article-1379715-detail/article.html

BADMINTON Athens 2004 Olympic silver medallist Nathan Robertson is named in one of Team England's strongest badminton squads for the forthcoming international match against Japan at the University of Bath.

The squad features all four of the six-strong Great Britain badminton team at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games who are still playing competitively.

The big night of badminton action gets underway at the Sports Training Village at 6.45pm on Friday, October 16.

Robertson won the mixed doubles silver in Athens as well as the 2006 World Championships and Commonwealth Games gold medals, with the now-retired Gail Emms.

Capped 100 times for his country, Robertson teams up with Anthony Clark for the men's doubles contests in an eight-strong Team England squad for the international match in Bath, as well as for a repeat performance at Loughborough the following day.

Robertson and Clark, the reigning English national champions, are ranked 10th in the world and won the won the Singapore Open back in June.

Clark and Donna Kellogg – the reigning mixed doubles European champions – will team up either in Bath or Loughborough, with Robertson likely to partner Jenny Wallwork at the other.

Kellogg, also a Beijing 2008 Olympian, and Wallwork, will contest the women's doubles contest.

World number 28 men's singles player Andrew Smith will play both matches while three-times English National champion Elizabeth Cann is likely to play both women's singles if her comeback from injury goes well at the Bitburger Saarlorlux Open in Saarbrucken.

Pete Bush, head badminton coach at the University of Bath, said: "We're delighted to have the opportunity to host the first international match of this two-match series against Japan and we're also pleased that England have selected such a strong squad, with four of Britain's Beijing 2008 Olympians due to play in Bath."

The contest will be played under the five-match Sudirman Cup format of men's and women's singles and doubles and one mixed.

Tickets are still available are priced at £12 for adults, £10 for Badminton England members and £6 concessions – under-16s, OAPs and students.

To book, visit either www.badmin tonengland.co.uk or www.team bathstore.com, call 01225 384213 or visit the from the Sports Training Village reception

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    U of Bath? When I first saw the title, I thought it's one of those Japanese TV game show featuring celebrities competing on a hugh Bath tub or swimming pool. :D:)

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Now that you mentioned it, I think I saw a castle (?) there years ago when I last visited Bath in England. There were Roman baths on different levels, a lot of pipework (I'm trying hard to recollect) and they must be most elegant during their heydays. I think the Romans must be greater bathers than the Japanese. ;):p:D