playing in net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by angelus_2012, Oct 30, 2002.

1. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

hi all. i need to know the strategy of playing singles..

ok, where is the position should i serve the shuttle to (in the opponents sector) so that i'm safe of direct smash? should i play a high, long rally ; or should i play a low and short rally?

after that, when the opponent start to play net with me, should i continue to play net with the fellow tactically or should i hit far behind him?

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'm not very good at singles, but i can tell you what i've seen. For serves, from right to left, i see people serving to the backhand part or to the far corners. I dont usually see smashes just after the serve. I think they try to position their opponent in some way before they smash. I dont know about the rally part, shouldnt you be doing a combination of both?

For net play, you can play the net, but i think there's a lot of consequences to it if you dont play it right. I read in one of the threads, that if the person is right handed, and you start net play on the right side of the court. Then you should clear to their backhand while he/she is at the net. My advice shouldn't really be trusted since I'm still new to the game. But that's what i think.

3. modious

modious Regular Member

Your questions are rather vague.

What do you mean of a direct smash? If you serve all the way to the rear, chances are your opponent can't really smash it that steep. If you serve a low serve, the opponent can't smash it either.

If you're an explosive player, then keep the rally short! People who prefer strokes and move people around the court (like Hendrawan) will keep the rally longer.

When the opponent plays net with you, it all depends on the situation and whether you've the sufficient skills and footwork to do so. It also depends whether you've reached the net faster than him, or whether your opponent is already rushing to the net.... which is good to flick to the rear court. It depends whether you can "hold the shuttle" at the net before flicking it. Otherwise, it won't work.

etc.....

4. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Angelus, for a serve, if you're agile you can play a short serve. If you prefer serving high, then you have to take into mind several things into consideration. If you serve to the corner, the most dangerous return is an attacking clear, a smash down the line and a fast cross court netshot. So position yourself to receive those shots quickly.

Another high serve, is a high serve into the middle part of the back line. That way, everyshot thats played by him to the sides travels long, but this means that you have to cover all four corners because he can play an attacking clear to both corners and a fast drop to both corners. From personal experience, the advantage of this serve is that its easier to recieve the shots because they travel longer than your normal straight shots, hence giving u more time to move to the corners.

As for whether you should play a high long rally or not... it really depends. Basically in singles you have to be patient and wait for the chance to score a winning shot, and the idea is to play a shot that puts your opponent on pressure. Cant really tell you what shots to play, it all depends on the situation. Basically you have to learn the different shots that you can apply in a game and learn when to use them.

Same thing with net play, you just need to learn what shots will put your opponent under pressure, lets say if you're having a rally at the net and they're really confident they can win it, you can pretend like you're playing a netshot and then flick the shuttle to the back. This can catch your opponent off guard and put them under pressure to play a safety shot like a high clear or a sloppy netshot. If you really want to improve, keep learning and practicing and also get a good coach to point out your mistakes.

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Angelus,
    Iwan is correct in his assessment re: single high deep serve to the corner and the middle. The other thing to note too is that a high deep serve is not an easy thing to play. High deep meaning that the shuttle drops straight down from its peak.

Best suggestion for you is to take a look at Jake Downey's Winning Badminton Singles book which he has available for free (need Acrobat Reader) on his website, http://www.badmintonbooks.com

As for net shots, it depends on your opponent. If he plays a net shot, you can do a hairpin drop if you get there early enough or flick it back (opp. back corner) or do a defensive clear high & deep.

Singles is more of a strategy game than doubles and required more stamina than doubles but is slower (i.e. less drives than doubles).

6. neverland

neverland Regular Member

students
    Too subjective...it really depends on the opponent or you.If that man play like Taufik where he can smash where ever he wants,you shouldn't give a high shot.
    If he's a good net player(maybe an ex-double experts)you should put the bird at his backline.

I'm not too sure how to write the sollution because it really depends on the player himself. Just 1 thing for sure: Put the bird where he can't reach it BEFORE u get to the center of the court. Even a great flick net player can't ( I think!) reach the net if he was at the corner of the court,running fast to the net and flick it slowly..so much effort to control the body movements and wrist.

I really think u should SEE his movements before u make a shot.:D Not suitable for serve and need a lot of practice (wrist)...

Maybe we should read another opinions...hehe!

7. Xero

Xero Regular Member

How long your rallies are depend on your style.. I mean in singles.. you will have to be able to withstand long rallies but.. it depends on your oppenent.. Obviously, you should try to make your opponent cover the most distance as possible..When you play, take note of what is hard for you.. it MIGHT be the same for him too..

"My opinion"